crossbow arrow lands on pitch (BBC)

Marcus37

I just came across this

Surrey v Middlesex: Play abandoned after crossbow arrow lands on pitch - BBC Sport

First off WTF how with all the security did some TW@ get a crossbow into the oval, and second how was he able to get a shot off without being spotted.

I am however wondering if it could have been some TW@ shooting it in the air some distance away from the Oval as we all know that a bolt or arrow can go quite some distance.

Brace you selfs for possible backlash against the archery community by the powers that be

D

Deleted member 7654

One assumes the crossbow bolt was shot from outside...
How many unnoticed airgun pellets fall onto sports grounds?
I expect there will be some puffing and blowing from the powers that be, but I don't expect any action will be taken or is needed.
The perpetrator was probably* breaking the law as it is, so adding new laws won't make much difference.
E.G. Law against using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving has done little to stop the practice which causes more death and injury than any crossbow.
There will probably be and exaggerated outcry about crossbows where they are far less problematic than knives, beer glasses, cars and a multitude of other things which aren't seen as news worthy.
There are probably more people injured by cricket balls than crossbow bolts.
Del
* It is possible (but highly unlikely) that this was some sort of accident during the legitimate (but possibly incompetent) use of the crossbow.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes the bolt came from outside, if you read the article. The stupid thing is if they'd left it stuck in the ground they'd have had an idea of the direction from which it was shot, plus fingerprints.
Bl00dy lucky it didn't hit anyone!

Marcus37

Yes the bolt came from outside, if you read the article. The stupid thing is if they'd left it stuck in the ground they'd have had an idea of the direction from which it was shot, plus fingerprints.
Bl00dy lucky it didn't hit anyone!
I read it quickly as I was also talking to a friend at the same time and missed the end part of it.
It is a good job no one was hurt, but what gets my attention is the bolt looks pink, which means it may be a cheap fibreglass bolt much like the pink eBay arrows, so may also be a cheap eBay crossbow so it's likely not a enthusiast

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yup. Total idiots with an internet bought crossbow. Probably not even a particularly powerful one, but the damage even that can do is unimaginable.

Marcus37

Yup. Total idiots with an internet bought crossbow. Probably not even a particularly powerful one, but the damage even that can do is unimaginable.
The other question is, why can they be sold on eBay, when most reputable stores/sites require proof of age to buy them, much like knives and air guns

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Age is no barrier. Too many idiots over 18 around. And there are too many bricks and mortar stores that don't do enough checking as well.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Or the same as the Wizard shop sells.
Bearing in mind how built up it is around London, that bolt was probably loosed from a back garden, and was expected to end up in another garden. Perhaps with a cat, dog or toddler minding their own business.
Trouble is, a lot of crossbows are sold as "mucking around" gadgets. And everyone is surprised when they are used as such.

Marcus37

Or the same as the Wizard shop sells.
Bearing in mind how built up it is around London, that bolt was probably loosed from a back garden, and was expected to end up in another garden. Perhaps with a cat, dog or toddler minding their own business.
Trouble is, a lot of crossbows are sold as "mucking around" gadgets. And everyone is surprised when they are used as such.
That may well be the case, thinking back to my childhood,a cheap SMK air pistol was given to me when I was 10 as a garden toy, and later a air rifle. These days thay are seen as a weapon but back then not so much. I'm hopeful it is a one off so we don't end up with a regulated archery community as at the moment we are self governed and it works, but other places require licenses for compound bows.

D

Deleted member 7654

At least it wasn't labelled a "Terrorist" incident. The sooner it blows over the better...
Sorry got to go... armed response unit at the front door ;)
Del

Marcus37

They found the culprit, he has been arrested and charged with attempted GBH... is that all, It could have easily badly injured or killed some one, he's getting off easy.

If I was working for the CPS it would be also be possession of a offensive weapon with intent to cause injury...throw the book at him.

fbirder

They found the culprit, he has been arrested and charged with attempted GBH... is that all, It could have easily badly injured or killed some one, he's getting off easy.

If I was working for the CPS it would be also be possession of a offensive weapon with intent to cause injury...throw the book at him.
If the police investigation brings up evidence for further charges then he can be charged with them at a later date

Some early reports suggested the possibility of there having been additional hits on the outside of the stand. That would make it more likely that he will face more serious charges.

D

Deleted member 7654

I'd have though "being in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place without sufficient reason" was a far lesser charge as it doesn't imply you have used, or intend to use it.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Post deleted
(Yet another duplicate post.. either the system is screwing up or my browser or I have repetitive finger trouble...)

mediumtab

AIUK Saviour
One newspaper item suggested that the bolt may have shot from a flat, overlooking the Oval - evidently the public can get access.
Having shot crossbow,a 90lb prod cocked by hand would probably only cast to 80 yards max,then fall to earth. But a compound bow is obviously capable over 100 yards under power.

I enjoyed shooting crossbow for some years,but ignorance by nearly all Target clubs ,who think they are letting in morons,shun their use,regardless of Rules.
These incidents do no one any favours.You can buy bolts on Ebay but cannot buy a bow.The same problem exists if you try and sell a bow -only one free ad site would allow a sale,in my experience.These incidents are bad press,but there are never proper answers published even if known,as to why people do these things...

It just spoils it all for the people who want to join a club and shoot these weapons in a safe environment.

mediumtab

AIUK Saviour
One newspaper item suggested that the bolt may have been shot from a flat, overlooking the Oval - evidently the public can get access.
Having shot crossbow,a 90lb prod cocked by hand would probably only cast to 80 yards max,then fall to earth. But a compound crossbow is obviously capable over 100 yards under power.

I enjoyed shooting crossbow for some years,but ignorance by nearly all Target clubs ,who think they are letting in morons,shun their use,regardless of Rules.
These incidents do no one any favours.You can buy bolts on Ebay but cannot buy a bow.The same problem exists if you try and sell a bow -only one free ad site would allow a sale,in my experience.These incidents are bad press,but there are never proper answers published even if known,as to why people do these things...

It just spoils it all for the people who want to join a club and shoot these weapons in a safe environment.

D

Deleted member 7654

... a 90lb prod cocked by hand would probably only cast to 80 yards max,then fall to earth. But a compound bow is obviously capable over 100 yards under power.
Eh?
Total nonsense...
A primitive wooden crossbow with a Laburnum prod will shoot well over 100 yards, and a modern 90# prod will give and arrow (bolt) speed over 200fps.
You imply some sort of weird trajectory that is relatively flat and then suddenly hits a brick wall with the bolt fluttering down out of sky!
Del