draw elbow height and tiller

indegold

Hi all,

sore 3rd finger probs again
pretty sure its because I have high draw elbow
anybody know how tiller relates to elbow height?

ta

D

Deleted member 7654

It doesn't...
Irrelevant where your elbow is (in terms of tiller), the bow is simply being pulled between fingers and hand, and it should be relatively free to rock in the hand to accommodate the line on which the draw hand is pulled back.
Elbow position does make a difference to the ease and effectiveness of the draw and loose, but has nothing to do with tiller.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

It doesn't...
Unless of course you are misunderstanding or misrepresenting the term "tiller"
Del

adrianms

I've read & been told the legend of tiller. My bow is set with "appropriate" tiller-but a few of our archers locally (so not just one or two within just our club) are saying with modern riser/bow combos this is more a nod to the bad old days & don't bother.
I've read that kg archery limbs don't recommend any tiller with any of their limbs (indeed on my short list for my next set of limbs) & few of the main manufacturers (w&w Hoyt etc) mention it at all in their blurb.
so what is the definitive answer to "tiller" yeah or nay?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes you need tiller.

This is because most bows have the arrow rest set above half way, not centrally when measured between the limb tips. So the bottom limb needs to do more work.

Now machine made limbs are usually made in pairs with no tiller built in - so it doesn't matter which way up you shoot them. Hand made limbs, such as Border, have the tiller built in to the limbs, so setting the bolts as equal (x turns out, both top and bottom) is recommended.
Not adjusting for tiller means you aren't necessarily getting the best from your very expensive equipment.

Stringwalkers in particular tend to have unusual tillers, sometimes even negative, in order to mitigate for the variable hand positioning on the string.

So yes. Take a little time and work out where the natural tiller should be for your bow and the way you shoot it.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Hi all,

sore 3rd finger probs again
pretty sure its because I have high draw elbow
anybody know how tiller relates to elbow height?

ta
Out of curiousity: what are your bow and draw length?
I've found I'm getting less wear on my third finger by going up a limb size...