Dreaming About It

Hood-Robin

Reading other Forum topics promted me to slip this one in LOL.What would happen to an Archer in the present day National GNAS setup who was so gifted that his or her natural ability to shoot fantasic scores at all distances, who won every competition he or she entered and did not need any coaching would she be selected for the National Squad or would she not be selected as her shooting ability was far above the level of the National Coach. Could this ever happen.
Has it happened in other countries.
It aint me folks Iam only dreaming LOL

Adam

Under the present system everyone has to submit to the will of the national coach, irrespective of ability or reputation.

After 4th in the Athens olympics, ranking no. 3 in the world (2 for a time) and a European GP win, Larry Godfrey (we're club mates) has recently had his form changed substantially by the head coach. I don't think anyone's immune from this type of adjustment.

Whilst I'm not entirely convinced by the correctness of this approach - particularly where the compound shooters are concerned, given the coach's recurve backgound - there's no arguing with the results the guy has achieved as a coach. Just look at the Italians (recurve especially).

To my mind, the jury is out.

Adam