Gadget Freak

radsbow

Ok, I admit it! I am a gadget freak :) and I was wondering what people thought about the use of chronographs?</p>

Is there any use to them apart from telling you the speed of your arrow... </p>

</p>

Barry C

Thats a good point. I can see the use if your testing equipment before you buy, but once you have it I really cannot imagine how it would be useful ??

radsbow

I was thinking along those lines of "What other use can there be?", but then I came across Altservices explanation.....</p>

<font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">"Many archers will only use their speed meters for measuring the speed of their arrows either just out of interest or for use with a computer program such as Archers Advantage, which can give them a full set of sight marks easily.</font></p>

<font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Used properly it can also be used for detecting rogue arrows or also as part of your training program.</font></p>

<font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">If you repeatedly shoot a full set of arrows through the machine logging the results for each arrow you will find that any rouge arrows will consistently record a different speed. These can then be singled out and checked later on the range.</font></p>

<font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Also, you will find, especially for a recurve archer (although it works just as well for compound) regular shooting through the machine, trying to get consistent speeds will show up problems in release and draw length, This can all be done at short range in the back garden or even in the garage with the right lighting kit."</font></p>

<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif">...So it got me thinking maybe it can be of some other use!?!?!?</font></p>

Barry C

I still think shooting at a target to detect rouge arrows or release problems is cheaper and easier :) But then I am not trying to sell you a crono.</p>

I did read in TA that they did tests for arropw speeds versus shooting speeds, so maybe it can have some assistance with your technique, but woould not that just show up as high and low arrows on the target?</p>

Where is joe when you need him? :)</p>

radsbow

Barry C - 10/8/2005 1:14 PM

I did read in TA that they did tests for arropw speeds versus shooting speeds, so maybe it can have some assistance with your technique, but woould not that just show up as high and low arrows on the target?</p>
</p>

Good point :)</p>

For gadget freaks like myself, I could easily be pulled in by the marketing speak :) </p>

KevinH

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I have one and use it mainly when testing equipment changes,
I feed the arrow speeds and mass into software that gives me ballistic data, sight marks etc.

I have also used it to compare minor form changes, ( e.g. a deeper grip on my third finger gives me a more consistent but slightly lower arrow speed ).

I also sometimes just try and shoot arrows with a consistent speed, as a variation on blank boss practice.

but at the end of day it's really just a toy. :)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
KevinH - 10/8/2005 2:32 PM I have one and use it mainly when testing equipment changes, I feed the arrow speeds and mass into software that gives me ballistic data, sight marks etc. I have also used it to compare minor form changes, ( e.g. a deeper grip on my third finger gives me a more consistent but slightly lower arrow speed ). I also sometimes just try and shoot arrows with a consistent speed, as a variation on blank boss practice. but at the end of day it's really just a toy. :)
</p>

Kevin, you really should get out more (and no, I don't just mean to Broughton or Chorley) ;)</p>

KevinH

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Dave - 10/8/2005 4:00 PM

Kevin, you really should get out more (and no, I don't just mean to Broughton or Chorley) ;)</p>
Does that mean you've found a club that shoots on Wednesday nights ? ;)

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
KevinH - 10/8/2005 3:44 PM
Dave - 10/8/2005 4:00 PM

Does that mean you've found a club that shoots on Wednesday nights ? ;)
</p>

Hehe, is Wednesday night the only night you're not shooting at the mo'?</p>

KevinH

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Dave - 10/8/2005 4:59 PM

Hehe, is Wednesday night the only night you're not shooting at the mo'?</p>
no, but it is the only night I don't have somewhere that I could go and shoot, if I wanted to. I try and schedule in 8 hrs a week, typically 2hrs Mon, Thu, Fri and 4hrs alternate Sundays.