Getting in the Good Books!

Thunk

Ironman
No, I haven't taken up religion - bl**dy hard job to find any in all this Christmas lark!

I'm just wondering: what archery books have others read and how do you rate them?
Bearing in mind that there are quite a number of novices subscribed to the forum, have you found a particular book good on form? On the psychology? And is it good for relative beginners, or is it aimed at the more experienced?

And with the cost of archery books in mind, if you have finished with it how about passing it on - either as a sale, or better still, in return for a donation to AIUK?

radsbow

Books I've purchased are, in order...

1. Fundamentals Of Recurve Archery (Beginner level)
2. Archery Steps to Success (Beginner level)
3. Archery Anatomy (Advanced level)
4. Precision Archery (Intermediate level)
5. Understanding Winning Archery (Intermediate / advanced) #
6. With Winning in Mind (Intermediate / advanced) #
7. Simple Art of Winning (Intermediate / Advanced) *
8. Total Archery (Advanced) *
9. Heretic Archer (On sale January - I think this book will be very, very good)

* I have to say that 5 and 6 are by far the best books I have purchased for mental training.

# and 7 and 8 for form. I think the Simple Art of Winning was by far, the best book relating to form, up until Total Archery hit the shooting fields of the world.

I only say that Total Archery is advanced simply because if you are not careful you could end up being more confused than when you started reading it! Some of the meanings and interpretations are perhaps not as clear as they could have been, but it was the first edition. The second edition is out now so its probably all much clearer now. It could have been me being a bit thick :)

Miner Willy

good books

Gotta go with Understanding Winning Archery by Al Henderson. Some of the quotes/proverbs are pure genius...

"The colours of the school of experience are black and blue"

or how about

"Only in dictionaries does success come before work..."

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I got a brilliant book for womble on the net but I can't find it to tell you the name!!! It is just about the psychology of archery.

I've bought him Total Archery as part of his Christmas as well as it seems to be the 'in book' at the moment!

How's my longbow coming on MW?

:christmas

Marcus26

Mastering Compound Bows - Everything a FITA shooter needs to know about shooting compound accuratly. Heaps of photos of top shooters (including Clint Freeman) to illustrate points and some really useful tips. I have met guys who have never shot at clubs and taught themselves to shoot using this book and shoot very very well.

Mastering Archery Technique Analysis - Small book but details teh photos and videos required to analyse your's or someone elses form. Shows you what to look for and how to fix it.
This is my favourite, the principles in this book changed my archery in a big way.

Mastering Bow Tuning - The best book on Bow tuning I have seen to date. Covers compound and recurve and no voodoo BS. It just works. Covers how to test nock travel and the best method of recurve tuning. Debunks some of the myths as well.

All are written by James Park. James is a past Australian Champion and competed at this years World Games. he has shot over 1380 compound and 1320 recurve.
He is an engineer and excellent coach.

These are the BEST books on archery I have read (including TA)

http://urbanarchery.com.au/index.php?cPath=33

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
AAAhhhh, pat on the back for Murray - womble printed that out a while ago!! I can tell you it is in some state as he has read it cover to cover I don't know how many times!!!

JohnK

Marcus26 said:
Mastering Bow Tuning - The best book on Bow tuning I have seen to date. Covers compound and recurve and no voodoo BS. It just works. Covers how to test nock travel and the best method of recurve tuning. Debunks some of the myths as well.
That certainly is an excellent book. I got a copy from Marcus earlier this year.

I must get around to getting the Technique Analysis book too. I'm looking for a clear explanation of how to use the lower traps on the drawing side to draw the damn bow, and I'm guessing there's one in this :D

joetapley

The Heretic Archer is now out.
Covers the Technique aspect (where the Heretic appellation comes from).
Covers the whole gamut of arrow selection, basic setup and tuning - far and away the best coverage of this topic I've seen. A first (for me anyhow) is a description of how to fine tune a recurve. Only downside is that I'll never be good enough to need it :pessimist

http://hereticarcher.blogspot.com/

As for Murrays reference guide - a copy is given to all archers as part of their beginners course. Invaluable!