Here's a thing...

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
Tournamenting chez Aire Valley Archers today (thankyou all for a great day BTW)
I experience a 'pass through...' something I had only known of previously after visits to poor quality curry houses. In this instance I'm shooting my ACCs in a Portsmouth round, sharing the target with another recurve guy & a compound shooter.

Lo and behold the arrow goes straight through the target ( (it was a ten I tell you!!!) & hits the netting behind. This was confirmed by the judges. I score 0 for the shot. What caused this? It's a new target (quite dry), I am shooting with a compound guy who'se hurling sections of mains piping into the target, my draw weight is about 36 pounds. Presumably this won't happen again for another 10 years, or is it actually symptomatic of compound/recurve sharing the same target.. or a poor quality target?

Pete T

Andy1960

Odd, you usually get passthru's on older bosses which have been shot out (mains pipe will do that in short order)

I'm surprised the judge didn't allow you to shoot a replacement as other archers had confirmed the passthru' . Not having my rulebook near perhaps some other, wiser soul could enlighten as to the legitimacy of allowing another shot for a PT?

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
According to the GNAS rules of shooting you are allowed to shoot an extra arrow if you have a pass through.
404. Scoring
(c) (i) If an arrow is observed to pass through a target, the archer concerned shall draw the attention of the Judge to the fact after having shot his final arrow of the end by retiring two paces from the shooting line and holding his bow above his head.
(ii) Upon the Judge satisfying himself that the claim is justified, the archer shall be permitted to shoot another arrow separately in the same end after all archers on that target have completed their normal shooting, such arrow to be numbered or preferably marked by the Judge.
(iii) The Judge shall take part in the scoring for that end to the extent that the target shall be examined to ensure that the original arrow has in fact passed through. Should the original arrow be found in the target, it shall be scored and the extra arrow discounted.

Tarkwin

Prince Of Dorkness
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Pass through

What happens if an arrow is only discovered to have passed through at the time of scoring the end?

What if the arrow passes through to the extent that the shaft protudes from the rear but the fletched end has passed through the face? In this case would the shaft be pushed back through to determine the score?

T.

Furface

Supporter
Pete,
Did you realise it was a pass-through when you shot it, or only when you went to score? The rules seem to give you redress only in the former case. It's different in FITA rules, of course, where targets are marked. However, without that, I cannot see any objective way of confirming a pass-through - even fellow archers saying "I saw it" or "it must have been" can get it wrong.
That said, I too noticed the bosses disintegrating. I was on with two compoundeers with tree-trunks; my powder-puff attempts stuck so firmly in the red-to-black zones that two hearty men were required to hoik them out, but after a few ends the custard area was as soft as - well, custard. We go to great lengths to prevent damage to these huge missiles (three-spots; limiting compounds per boss) but sometimes expect the recurvistas to pick up the collateral damage (no friendly black-zone; pass throughs).
Oh, and by the way, with initials like PT what do you expect?

Furface

Supporter
...and, in answer to Tarkwin's point, I understand that that is what should happen - pushing the shaft back through and in the process stripping the fletches off your las whole arrow.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Yeah it looks like you can only get an extra arrow if you declare the passthrough while on the shooting line. If you spot it when you are scoring then its tough luck :thumbsdow . Maybe indoor form should be adapted to include a visual 'follow through' on the backstop netting rather than the Gold :devil: .

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Tom said:
Maybe indoor form should be adapted to include a visual 'follow through' on the backstop netting
Having said that Pete_T did say he noticed the netting move. Maybe it was a case of not telling the Judge in time. Its something to bear in mind for next time...I hadn't realised you could get an extra arrow until I delved into the rules of shooting.

sky_high30

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Was interesting to see the quality of the bosses at Aire valley - I was on a face with a compounder and another recurver of slightly higher standard than me. The gold took a lot of stick but was still stopping arrows in the gold at the end. Some of the bosses were almost new in hardness...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Furface said:
...and, in answer to Tarkwin's point, I understand that that is what should happen - pushing the shaft back through and in the process stripping the fletches off your las whole arrow.
Nope. The rules say that the shaft is pushed back through the boss *point* first, having first been removed.

And I quote:
(k) An arrow passing through the target face but remaining in the boss shall be withdrawn
by the Target Captain or Lieutenant and shall be inserted from the back in the same
place and at the assumed angle of original penetration until the pile is visible in the
target face, when the score shall be determined.​

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I was going to say you couldn't score pass-throughs on a Portsmouth, but it looks like the rules changed (must have been in the 2002 rule changes, as it doesn't seem to be in the 2000 amendments...).

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Yes. The page with the pass through rule is dated 2002, and my old set of rules doesn't seem to mention pass-throughs at all. I've got amendments in there up to 2000. Nice to see the rules on-line, with the latest version of the website. It only took a decade or so of asking...

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Better late than never :). They seem to have all relevant documents online now. I have to say the GNAS website is looking pretty good these days.

oops..rapidly gone off topic :ziplip:

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
One lives & learns. I wasn't sure at the time (having never seen it happen before) as I thought I'd hit at the same time someone else had missed completely (as one compound guy did)- it only became obvious once we went up to score. Next time I'll alert the judges when it happens...if there is a next time. This is not a criticism of Aire Valley BTW- a great tournament as usual shot in good spirits & cameraderie etc. Also I finished 18th which is massively better than last year