Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Discuss Internet ordering in the World of Archery at the General Archery Discussion & News within Archery Interchange Forums; Apologies for bad wording! Yes, they are a "go-between", but if you order something that ...
    In the Blue The Fonz Award. Gold Flinger's Avatar
    Apologies for bad wording! Yes, they are a "go-between", but if you order something that is advertised as "in-stock", you expect it to be exactly that - you expect the retailer to have made an investment in a line of stock available for dispatch.

If the retailer is trying to trick people into placing orders for stock that doesn't exist, and then going to their wholesaler, why don't the wholesalers deal direct and make more profit? We as consumers, are getting a crap deal - long delivery times and yet we're still being screwed for "retail" prices.
    I put my success down to luck. The more I practice, the luckier I get.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the White AIUK subscriber.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Flinger View Post
    Apologies for bad wording! Yes, they are a "go-between", but if you order something that is advertised as "in-stock", you expect it to be exactly that - you expect the retailer to have made an investment in a line of stock available for dispatch.

If the retailer is trying to trick people into placing orders for stock that doesn't exist, and then going to their wholesaler, why don't the wholesalers deal direct and make more profit? We as consumers, are getting a crap deal - long delivery times and yet we're still being screwed for "retail" prices.
    Absolutely. I have no issues with folks stating upfront if they need to order stuff and the 'In Stock - but not' is extremely annoying. As for the wholesaler making more money if they sold direct the current model has stood the test of time and although some things are changing it's a matter of convenience for most part to get somebody else to deal with public. There are actually relatively few mainstream areas where you can buy small volumes direct from source.

In the Gold AIUK subscriber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Flinger View Post
    ... why don't the wholesalers deal direct and make more profit? We as consumers, are getting a crap deal - long delivery times and yet we're still being screwed for "retail" prices.
    Wholesalers need big sheds to hold stock quantities. The big sheds are expensive so there are only a few and they still need outlets. Small shops are cheap, in comparison, there are more of them and have a wide geographic distribution. Warehouses, if selling to the general public, would still sell at retail prices to cover distribution costs. But the further down the line the smaller the margins. Also manufactures tend not to make everything. Easton do not make bows, Hoyt do not make arrows, you see where this is going. Shops bring all these products together under one roof. And people still like going into shops although I bought my last two bows on-line

I have an engineering company that sells archery products direct to the public, but I also use a retail outlet. Much of what I do is custom work but selling direct involves as much work in sales as manufacturing, if not more. Using a retailer is really simple. Single bulk delivery, no packaging, no delivery labels, no shipping receipts, just job done; but smaller margin.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

In the Blue AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    I do think most on-line shops charge too much.
    I won't mention the name but the place I got most of my stuff from charges 8 per delivery. Just too much.
    Yet an Ebay shop sold me a brilliant foam compound target weighing a lot and rather bulky with free next day P&P.
    Mybo Origin
    Member of Bowmen Of Wadebridge
    Archery GB member

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345