Lilleshall - prevailing wind direction?

fanio

What it says on the tin: does anyone have records about the prevailing wind direction (left/right/head/tail) at Lilleshall?

Any tips you may be willing to share would be appreciated!

Adam

Well, it's in the UK and the field faces pretty much due north, so you can be pretty certain that the wind will (for a right handed archer) be blowing from your left and, usually, slightly behind.

I have shot there on days with easterly winds when the very right hand end of the gents line has a little shelter, but these days are rare. Usually the only shelter to be found is on the first 15 targets on the ladies line. That said, Lilleshall isn't a bad field on which to shoot and plenty of big scores have been made there.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Well, was there at the weekend and the rain was mostly from behind with a slight left-to-right direction...

T101

had some horizontal rain, literally parallel to the ground right to left at masters. nice.

i usually expect some type of wind there, but sometimes it can be pretty good middle of ahem our summer.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Last time I was there I drew 1A on a bakingly sunny calm day. With the line of trees down the left and being a wrong'un myself it was like a practice session and I shot my Recurve 70m Comp PB, barely registering the other 200 archers on the field...

Edit: June 2010 this was...

munchkin

Supporter
Supporter
i've shot on both sides of the field, and it's different nearly every time. and no, it's not that sheltered on the first 15 targets on the ladies line! plus later on in the day when the gents are basking in the sunshine, we're freezing cold because the trees block out the sun.

best thing is not to worry about the wind - just go with it!!

Last edited:

fanio

best thing is not to worry about the wind - just go with it!!
It's not about worrying, it's about preparation: there are two clubs nearby, one has predominant wind from left, one from right, and I am trying to decide where I should practice.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
fanio said:
It's not about worrying, it's about preparation: there are two clubs nearby, one has predominant wind from left, one from right, and I am trying to decide where I should practice.
On Lilleshall field Friday night? Myself and Mike will try and get up for last knockings. I see you're on 8 for the 50m - hopefully calm there...

C

Compound10

Not sure why everyone gets obsessed with wind. This is a windy country has been more so for last few years. It's windy where we shoot and it's different everyday. As it has been at every shoot I've been to this year. Or diff direction each arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jerryRTD

Last time I shot at Lilleshall there were times when the ladies target flags were pointing in the opposite direction to the mens target flags.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
On Lilleshall field Friday night? Myself and Mike will try and get up for last knockings. I see you're on 8 for the 50m - hopefully calm there...
Target List is out?? - where is it???? :)

I've been checking the weather on the Met Office site - if you type in Newport it gives you the National Sports Centre as an option

UK forecast - Met Office