More than one bow

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
I've noticed in the What Brand of Bow Do You Shoot? poll that several people have mentioned that they use one bow indoors and a different bow outside. Just wondering whether there was any particular reason and should I be writing a new letter to Santa this year :).

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
No kidding, Dave. I'm grateful to be able to afford ONE!

*nice link, btw ;)

KevinH

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I think it's mainly an excuse to have more than one bow for us equipment junkies :)

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
I just haven't gotten round to advertising my old and battered GM riser on eBay after my shiny new (second hand) Aerotec riser arrived!

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
I've just taken a step in that direction, having bought a second-hand Axis that will become my outdoor bow.

My thinking is that I can set up my existing bow to a low poundage and set it up for aluminium arrows, and use that indoors. The other bow can have a higher poundage and be set up and tuned for carbons, so it's better for outdoors.

Plus, I just plain like having too much equipment. I've got more flamin' archery gear than Soft Mick.

Marcus26

Despite being a card carrying Equipment Whore? I only use one bow for everything.
My reasonings are
? My main game is FITA target so I set everything up for that
? I try and run with the big dogs so I need to shoot a high energy setup to be competitive in the wind. This requires high poundage so I must train with that
? I shoot far more indoor than outdoor, so I must shoot 58# indoor so I don't weaken up for outdoor.
? I also shoot alot of 3D, but my target bow is perfectly suited for 3D, so use it for that also. (ironically what I look for in a 3D bow I look for in a target bow. High energy low brace height)

I have thought about a lighter indoor bow but can't see the value in it. Will it aim better? If so then I would want it outdoors. I can aim a 60# bow better than a 50# bow anyway (holding weight becomes too low) so no need to drop it down for indoor.

The only thing I would like an indoor bow for is so I can use a heavier spring steel blade and thus have my arrows fall off the rest less.

jerryRTD

Yes I do have an indoor and an out door bows but the reason being that I want to shoot a slower arrow indoors off a lighter poundage. like it or not line cutters are the way to go indoors. Also where I shoot everybody seems to be of the opinion that small dia. arrows of a hard cam 60lb bow give the boss a very hard time. If they do or not is not the question. If I wish to shoot at this club then I have to take note of what is said by the equipment sec. and the commtiee.As yet I have not used the indoor setup at 30 mteres outdoors. Next year after the Indoor bow is set up then I will probably use it for the 30 meter range of a FITA if it isn't blowing a gale. Yes you need a slim arrow and a good draw weight for the longer ranges but I am not convinced that it is required for 30 meters lighter poundage in the last three dozen for an old guy like me has a certain attraction.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
We have 2 bows each - this is supposed to be for future competitions etc, if something goes wrong then you can just switch to the other set up. With this in mind the bows need to be the same so nothing changes....

I need another purple matrix..... lol

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Made the mistake of buying before joining the club, but no regrets as I got the right trainer bow for me (Sam Wha 66" wooden takedown, a la Clicki's Buckeye).

Upgraded to a PSE X-Factor after reading reports on Saggi, got the limbs (Petron S2 carbons) 2nd hand from KG, that Keith was planning to rip apart ( never even been shot, so effectively brand new).

Unfortunately they were mediums (but too good a price to turn down), so I decided to get a short riser (Samick Mizar) and a set of 2nd hand short limbs (W&W Synerzy).

Gives a combination of bow lengths for indoor, outdoor and field.

Mick

Last edited:

Andy1960

Only got the Hoyt that I shoot all the time. I'd love to be able to get some others, but funds are limited at present :sad:

The ohtre two I have are a Bickerstaff longbow and a Mongol horse bow - both used for 'fun' shooting when I come over all peculiar

doubletop

oh how i wish i had more than one bow my merlins all i got though it does the job both indoor and out i take on board wat people have said about indoor high poundage bows and i wish the bank manageress ( er indoors ) would agree with that but she says one bows enuff
also can any one tell me i shoot carbon epics at 40# is that high poundage for indoors i am after new alli arrows for the new outdoor season any recomendations

cliveanne

Ironman
My 2

I have a Merlin recurve which I don't shoot (For the time being) & a Hoyt Compound I am using. I had a problem some time ago with my upper arm & could not hold the poundage on the recurve. So in order to keep shooting, I had the compound. I am using it to build myself up in order to go back to my recurve, which will be at the start of the next outdoor season.
Anyway as a coach I need to know the ins & outs of a compound (That's my excuse, & I'm sticking to it ;)

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
I have two bows. One which shoots fine when I'm quietly minding my own business at the club. The other one (my competition bow) is a handful of snakes., Curiously they look the same to the casual observer.:hwink:

Pete

wim

i shoot the same bow inoor as outdoor !!
but than again the last 4 years is have shot 3 different bows:hcheesy: :hcheesy:

English Bowman

I have some longbows, one for competition, one for speed-shooting in displays which is a little lighter. One to let the public draw because I don't care to much if some goon dry looses or overdraws it, and a broken Self Yew so that I can show people what a Yew bow looks like. I also have a Mongolian, and several recurves, because I like them!

tel

Fonz Awardee
Is this the road we are all unwittingly embarking on? I'm relatively new to the game and have only 'changed' bow once - but I can't bring myself to get rid of the first one! Will I end up needing a wall rack?