New Membership Cards 09/10

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
They're a plasticy material this time- much improved; and they've got the GNAS logo on the back

:thumbsup:

and a two week comment window on a new process for 2010 onwards coming up on 1st September - so make sure your Club secretary lets you know what's proposed or look on the website

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
You mean I won't have to glue it onto one of the old GNAS cards?? Does it look like the writing will stay on better?? Mine is missing most of the letters in my name/club and I can tell you my GNAS number starts with '1' but that's all.

greygoose

I have not even received my '08 card yet. Let alone '09/'10
Wonderful service.
When some thing like this happens I can not help wondering if my money disappeared somewhere and whether it actually got onto the books.
One can but sincerely hope and trust that all is well, and if this is so why no card sent in return?
Is this simply an unfortunately common occurrence?
Has any one else failed to receive their '08 card?
Greygoose

Last edited:

grimsby archer

I have not even received my '08 card yet. Let alone '09/'10
Wonderful service.
When some thing like this happens I can not help wondering if my money disappeared somewhere and whether it actually got onto the books.
One can but sincerely hope and trust that all is well, and if this is so why no card sent in return?
Is this simply an unfortunately common occurrence?
Has any one else failed to receive their '08 card?
Greygoose
When you consider the current process, you > club > county > region > archerygb, its not surprising that some go astray. Especially when there is the added complication at some levels of more than one person involved (eg secretary and treasurer)
Many groups keep new applications hanging around for ages to save the postage incurred of sending one application in, just to receive another the next week.
Once you are on the "annual returns" documents it should be less likely to get lost. Of course, people who delay payment till well after the club paperwork has gone in, dont help themselves as a heap of new paperwork has to be raised.

There has been allegations of clubs that hold onto new members gnas applications for a while to see if the member drops out after a few weeks, in which case the cash just disapears.

As for the new cards, they are definitely an improvement on last years effort. As a T/O I dont expect to be inspecting so many piles of confetti by June.
That said they are still a plasticy card, so there is still room for improvement. A proper plastic credit card type would be better, like national trust, english heritate and the rac (going through my wallet) do.

greygoose

When you consider the current process, you > club > county > region > archerygb, its not surprising that some go astray. Especially when there is the added complication at some levels of more than one person involved (eg secretary and treasurer)
Many groups keep new applications hanging around for ages to save the postage incurred of sending one application in, just to receive another the next week.
Once you are on the "annual returns" documents it should be less likely to get lost. Of course, people who delay payment till well after the club paperwork has gone in, dont help themselves as a heap of new paperwork has to be raised.

There has been allegations of clubs that hold onto new members gnas applications for a while to see if the member drops out after a few weeks, in which case the cash just disapears.

As for the new cards, they are definitely an improvement on last years effort. As a T/O I dont expect to be inspecting so many piles of confetti by June.
That said they are still a plasticy card, so there is still room for improvement. A proper plastic credit card type would be better, like national trust, english heritate and the rac (going through my wallet) do.
Hi GA,
Thank you for your reply and information.
I am glad that at least some improvement has been made to the cards even though it seems that the opportunity has not been taken to implement better technology.
It seems fairly obvious that we should be ably to pay GNAS directly and receive our cards directly from them by return. This would eliminate half of the potential delays at a stroke. GNAS could send out confirmation to filter down to the various interested parties, if this is in fact necessary, and any delays during this would not matter.
I think that this, or some thing similar, has been suggested before but I have no idea of what final conclusions were drawn.
Greygoose.

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Hi GA,
Thank you for your reply and information.
I am glad that at least some improvement has been made to the cards even though it seems that the opportunity has not been taken to implement better technology.
It seems fairly obvious that we should be ably to pay GNAS directly and receive our cards directly from them by return. This would eliminate half of the potential delays at a stroke. GNAS could send out confirmation to filter down to the various interested parties, if this is in fact necessary, and any delays during this would not matter.
I think that this, or some thing similar, has been suggested before but I have no idea of what final conclusions were drawn.
Greygoose.

If I recall correctly.. gnas tried to have this idea implemented ie. pay gnas who would then pay county, who would then pay club... but it was voted against. :beer:

Thunk

Ironman
Greygoose, that is precisely how anybody with near-normal intelligence would organise it. Come to think of it, maybe that's the problem...!

And if it's any comfort to you, I haven't received my '08 card yet - and I'm the county chairman (what chance that gives anybody else, God only knows). I'd like to have shot a few tournaments this year but haven't done so purely because I couldn't demonstrate my current GNAS membership.

I'm about to email those awfully nice people at Lilleshall to ask for my money back since I don't think I've received anything for it.

Thunk

Ironman
I just sent the following email to Archery Towers. I'll let you know what reply (if any) turns up!

Dear Sirs,

GNAS Membership No: 1008749

As the year staggers towards September I am left wondering where it has gone. The reason for this is that I haven't been able to shoot in any tournaments this year because even now I am still waiting for my 2008/09 GNAS card to show T/Os that I am a current member. I know that I'm not the only one in this situation - I happen to be the county chairman and am asked by others all too frequently why they haven't received their cards either. Our county secretary has no idea either.

To be frank, I'm disgusted. I think you should seriously consider receiving subscriptions directly from members and sending cards, which are in effect a receipt for the subscription, direct to the member. I also think that you should consider refunding fees to those whose ability to shoot has been seriously curtailed by such rank inefficiency.

Yours faithfully

Derik Palmer
Chairman, County of London Archery Association.

Furface

Supporter
And if it's any comfort to you, I haven't received my '08 card yet - and I'm the county chairman (what chance that gives anybody else, God only knows). I'd like to have shot a few tournaments this year but haven't done so purely because I couldn't demonstrate my current GNAS membership.

I'm about to email those awfully nice people at Lilleshall to ask for my money back since I don't think I've received anything for it.
This has been gone over so many times, but....
a) The 08 cards for existing members were actually sent out to Secretaries along with the affiliation bumf. If you paid affiliation your Secretary should have given you your card.
b) Once you have paid your fee, even if there is no card to hand over, the Secretary can write a letter to confirm you are a member. You are NOT precluded from entering a tournament.
Of course you could be a direct member (apologies if so but this was not made clear). But, in return for your dosh you have, I presume, shot at a GNAS club; perhaps received some coaching there; perhaps even received an AUK. There again, as County Chairman, you will have a greater insight into the structure and work of GNAS.

Thunk

Ironman
Yes Nick, I do appreciate all that. I'm trying to make a point here. If an organisation cannot efficiently organise the basic process of receiving subscriptions from members and issuing those members with a membership card in return, what chance is there of any higher functions being carried out correctly?

greygoose

Greygoose, that is precisely how anybody with near-normal intelligence would organise it. Come to think of it, maybe that's the problem...!

Hi Thunk,
At least I am not alone in not receiving my '08 card.
I still wonder how many others there are who have also been "omitted" from the mailing list.
I can not wait to see what if any response you get from your letter of protest to those who organise(?) the GNAS.
Do you really think that they give a jot, I am afraid that I do not.
It is a pity that you did not ask who's responsibility it is to ensure that the memberships payment and membership matters are correctly dealt with, but perhaps they would not know anyway.
Once they have our money..........
Greygoose

tel

Fonz Awardee
There is at least one region I shoot in that operate a 'no card, no shoot' policy....you pay the fees, you shouldn't need a note from your mum or anyone else - you're a member of a national society that takes your fees and its their place to provide you with the credentials to shoot anywhere - a cover note just isn't on.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
If I recall correctly.. gnas tried to have this idea implemented ie. pay gnas who would then pay county, who would then pay club... but it was voted against. :beer:
mmm IIRC its in an Archery UK somewhere - there were a couple of Counties who want the money to keep "flowing" the way it does - upwards through them to the office. I'm not sure that's enough to scupper a good idea. Some people can attain enlightenment and others need it thrust upon then - and doubtless will write a few complaining words to Archery UK :burp: I'm sure we'll certainly know by the beginning of September what is proposed and as it says to Club Secretaries have a chance to comment.

and Thunk - what is the point of sending an email like that before you've checked with your Club secretary whether your card for 09/10 has arrived in the recent mailing? If you were on last year's duplicate form and there was no card then your Club secretary should have followed it up and as Furface says given you a letter of excuse to use.

Furface

Supporter
Yes Nick, I do appreciate all that. I'm trying to make a point here. If an organisation cannot efficiently organise the basic process of receiving subscriptions from members and issuing those members with a membership card in return, what chance is there of any higher functions being carried out correctly?
Yes, I agree - but the consultation which MK1 mentioned is a part of the efficient reorganisation of this process. The question of not receiving an '08 membership card is different (though it may well be addressed in the reorganisation). What I am saying is that the inefficiencies are not the sole preserve of the GNAS office - who have improved greatly in recent months - but, can reside amongst the members end of the organisation. In the case of missing cards, for instance, I know of at least one club secretary who did not see it as part of their job to issue the cards, but expected members to know to ask for them - members were then told to ask the GNAS office why their cards hadn't arrived. And, from what I hear, there are some counties and regions where proper record keeping has been virtually non-existent. In short, fine, let's grumble about GNAS being inefficient, but only so long as we admit that we are ALL part of GNAS and many of us are the least efficient part of the system

grimsby archer

I agree its not ALWAYS gnas office's problem.
We had some missing cards last year.
It took quite a few phone calls to track the paper and money trail through the system to find out who had or hadnt received or sent paperwork and, just as importantly, which cheques had or hadnt been sent, received or cashed.
We found a black hole where paperwork and money had gone in but not come out the other side. Post does get lost sometimes but a lost cheque doesnt get cashed!

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
There is at least one region I shoot in that operate a 'no card, no shoot' policy....you pay the fees, you shouldn't need a note from your mum or anyone else - you're a member of a national society that takes your fees and its their place to provide you with the credentials to shoot anywhere - a cover note just isn't on.
As one of those still waiting for ANY kind of credential after 10 months I have to agree with this.

At some point the "these are not the droids you're looking for" routine I'm having to employ at tournaments is going to come unstuck. It'd be ironic if it was Lilleshall in September...

Nightimer

WOW new cards,I can hardly contain myself!!!!
25 YEARS and I have gone from stick on bits of paper to stupid bendy plastic to a much improved NEW card with a LOGO on the back.
Only one question.
WILL IT ARRIVE ON TIME !!
Somehow I doubt it.

Furface

Supporter
WOW new cards,I can hardly contain myself!!!!
25 YEARS and I have gone from stick on bits of paper to stupid bendy plastic to a much improved NEW card with a LOGO on the back.
Only one question.
WILL IT ARRIVE ON TIME !!
Somehow I doubt it.
I received those for my club this week - I would guess your club already have them as well. So I suspect they will arrive "on time" - that is by October 1st - unless your club secretary eats them.

grimsby archer

I received those for my club this week - I would guess your club already have them as well. So I suspect they will arrive "on time" - that is by October 1st - unless your club secretary eats them.
Mmmmm, membership cards [drool]:yummy:
(in the style of an m&s advert)
These arent just any ordinary membership cards, they are archery gb, quality plasticy cards, topped with a gnas logo, served with a side salad of mixed "thankyou for renewing" letter, 12 months in the making and hand delivered.:pbjsandwi:ill:

I know I said this last year, but isnt the letter a bit OTT?
Nice, but a pain to lug around until the specified member bothers to show up at your club. A nice pile of membership cards fits snuggly in the quiver.

As for the missing card replacement letter, you could always cut out the middleman and pay your mum ?44 for a letter.

Furface

Supporter
Nice, but a pain to lug around until the specified member bothers to show up at your club. A nice pile of membership cards fits snuggly in the quiver.....
If this is the Secretary's chosen mode of delivery, there is nothing to stop her simply removing the cards (bit of a fumble, perhaps, but possible). Or do what I do, take advantage of the fact that the letters fold nicely into a window envelope, and post them, along with the winter calendar and a few other "remember you can still shoot" bits and bobs. And if you're hard up for stamps, send them without, and split your sides with chortles at the thought of the people who never come to the club anyway struggling to the local sorting office.