new Membership rules

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
you may wish to specify to which new membership rules you're referring to, but at less than the cost of a couple of arrows, seems a bit extreme to leave archery all together. Talk about throwing your toys out of the pram! ;)

madmac

Very True teddy is in the corner with no arms and head . I got the bow of my dreams about a year or so ago but havent really been able to get back into shooting on Sundays so it might be the straw that breaks the camels back but we will see . I was just interested in peoples responses . I might be the only self opinionated fat balding 49 year old Archer with this view .Now who has the cheapest fees ? and can i become a memeber

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Very True teddy is in the corner with no arms and head . I got the bow of my dreams about a year or so ago but havent really been able to get back into shooting on Sundays so it might be the straw that breaks the camels back but we will see . I was just interested in peoples responses . I might be the only self opinionated fat balding 49 year old Archer with this view .Now who has the cheapest fees ? and can i become a memeber
Stafaa, in Scotland.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Now who has the cheapest fees ? and can i become a memeber
Hyndford Bowmen ?25 pa including club fees, Northern Field Federation fees and insurance.

Bit of a drive from Angus to Lanarkshire though.

ben tarrow

Hyndford Bowmen ?25 pa including club fees, Northern Field Federation fees and insurance.

Bit of a drive from Angus to Lanarkshire though.
I decided to beat the b45tards at their own game.
One of the new membership categories is "archer with disabilities" at ?13.50

This is done on a self declaration "honesty" system and clubs are not EXPECTED to seek proof of disability.

Therefore, any archer who wants to save themselves a bag of change can just declare themselves as disabled.
No one can challenge this.

Strongly encouraging anyone and everyone to claim their disability rate.

Kickaha

I decided to beat the b45tards at their own game. One of the new membership categories is "archer with disabilities" at ?13.50 This is done on a self declaration "honesty" system and clubs are not EXPECTED to seek proof of disability. Therefore, any archer who wants to save themselves a bag of change can just declare themselves as disabled. No one can challenge this. Strongly encouraging anyone and everyone to claim their disability rate.
With that post you have proved that you are not at all concerned with the principal of the situation, you are only concerned with saving a few quid.

If enough people follow your "advice" all that will happen (other than you and like minded penny pinchers saving their money) is that disabled archers will be required to jump through hoops to qualify for the reduced fee, thus alienating them from our all-inclusive sport. Well done you.

Seems to me that there are lots of people on here that are disenchanted by AGB and have definite views of how it should be run. Perhaps you should all get together and actually get involved in the governance and make your changes from within.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour

This is done on a self declaration "honesty" system and clubs are not EXPECTED to seek proof of disability.

Therefore, any archer who wants to save themselves a bag of change can just declare themselves as disabled.

Quite literally the only thing I can think of is, 'what a dick move' :no:

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
This poll really should be worded for Direct Members and those considering direct membership. For everyone else it's at best interesting at worst irrelevant.

ben tarrow

Quite literally the only thing I can think of is, 'what a dick move' :no:
AGB started it.
They created the rules and have abused them, so I'm abusing them back.

As for saving a few quid, I became a direct member because I didnt like the way that the region were using the money they took from me, so now, if I've got to join, I'm just going to make sure I pay them as little as humanly possible.
I see county and region subs as a tax on archery.
I'm not evading the tax, just avoiding it within the rules.

As for AGB requiring proof of disability, surely thats discriminatory since non disability archers are not required to prove their lack of disability.

Paul Seeley

Really?!!

Presumably you drive a car even though the money you pay for road tax isn't always used in the way you expect will you make yourself a disabled badge? Possibly you don't like the way your council spend the council tax you pay - here's a great idea to save money . . .etc.

You might be frustrated, but given the cost of equipment and compared to other sporting activities trying to cheat the system because you 'didn't like the way the region were using the money they took from me' sadly says quite a lot about you as a person.

As has already been suggested if you don't like the way 'your' money is being used get yourself involved in the running of the system.

County and region subs are not a tax on archery and you ARE evading the tax which you are due to pay even if you salve your conscience by claiming you are 'just avoiding it within the rules'

Pay up and stop whinging or get on the council and start doing something to change the system

Munsterman

How does that deal with your biggest issue, i.e being disgruntled with county and region? Do you also park in disabled bays just because you don't like the way supermarkets etc. make others park further away but charge all the same for their shopping? Abusing a "disability status" is beneath contempt. Disgraceful. That is not being principled, it is being petty! Frankly, AGB and the sport in general is better off without those who sink to such depths.

Kickaha

Ben,

How are you avoiding the "tax" within the rules?

The rules are that disabled archers pay a reduced fee. You intend to claim the reduced fee even though you are not disabled so you are breaking the rule.

I would be interested to hear what your views would be if AGB removed the reduced disabled fee on the grounds that people were abusing it by claiming disability.

Honestly you are starting to come across like a spoilt five year old and are doing your cause damage by your stance.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Gina Burton

Sorry Ben but I think you have shot yourself in the foot with that statement. I have a couple of elderly members in my club who aren't too quick these days and never last the full session but they both rebuffed my advice to self declare as "archers with disabilities." By abusing the rules in this way, you are lowering yourself to the level of Freddie Collier which is the wrong way to go.
I would advise all direct members to swamp Archery GB, Sports UK and your local MP with emails pointing out that Archery GB are not following the rules of their own Articles and Laws.
At the 2016 AGM, item 8 on the agenda was a proposal to change Law 19 which was voted on by ALL members of Archery GB. The same procedure should have been carried out on Laws 9 and 22 to make it clear that ALL members of Archery GB must join region and county associations.
As these laws stand at the moment it is NOT compulsory to join region and county and Archery GB are behaving in an unconstitutional manner.

ben tarrow

[/I]Pay up and stop whinging or get on the council and start doing something to change the system
Having a five year old huff now. :)
ok, maybe i went a bit far with that. Sorry for any offence caused.

For the record, I went down the route of getting on committees a few years ago.
The problem was the other members of the committee were self serving individuals who out numbered me and had so many (often non shooting) supporters (sheep) who turned up to meetings, I realized I'd never get anything changed, so I quit.
It seemed that the use of the words "for the good of the society" was enough to get anything passed.

Gina Burton

An older member of my club went down the same route a few years back Ben and said that on many occasions they couldn't achieve a quorum and had to cancel the meeting. I am even having difficulty getting paperwork to pay affiliation fees as Freddie and Co. have washed their hands of helping out with region and county. In an email to one member he said that AGB were independent from Region and County while also saying that AGB membership forms wouldn't be processed till members had joined region and county. When questioned on this apparent paradox he just ignored the question and repeated his mantra about Law 22 and his interpretation of normally.

D

Deleted member 7654

Classic COMPLETELY STUPID POLL!
1. It doesn't specify which organisation.
2. It assumes there is only this one organisation and only 1 form of archery.

Assuming it is "GNAS" or "Archery GB" or "World Archery" or whatever it calls itself today... I've long since left... but I still belong to two other organisations and enjoy field, roving and flight archery.
Some people and organisations need to rid themselves of their myopic view.
Archery existed well before any of these organisations and will continue long after.
For pities sake, get a grip.
Del

<shrug> I am a member of my local club.
I seem to get the rest as part of the package.
They do all the work while I just pay one total fee.

madmac

Cheers Del the Cat, appreciate your input . I had assumed that most people were Archery GB and were knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the new membership rules so i wont take any offense and hope none was given have a nice day :beer: