Paying to Coach

Galvern1999

Hello, I'm relatively new to archery(2 year) and was thinking about becoming a coach. That was until I was informed that in order to coach I would be expected to pay for the privilege of coaching. I have seen a thread on here saying that AGB will not allow coaches to be paid. How do AGB stand on the issue of coaches being asked to pay in order that they can coach.

Thanks.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
It really depends on your local organisations. Some will pay the course fees of people willing to take a course and coach within their area.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
My understanding is that:

You need to pay to do the coaching courses/qualifications. Your club or area may finance this for you.

It is AGB insurance that prohibits payment, rather than AGB itself. If you want to charge beyond reasonable expenses then you need to sort out insurance yourself. Also venue, equipment etc.

I may be wrong..................

D

Deleted member 7654

The barter economy exists to circumvent this sort of beurocratic nonsense.
That'll be a nice bottle of red, thank you very much. :)
Del

Corax67

Hello, I'm relatively new to archery(2 year) and was thinking about becoming a coach. That was until I was informed that in order to coach I would be expected to pay for the privilege of coaching. I have seen a thread on here saying that AGB will not allow coaches to be paid. How do AGB stand on the issue of coaches being asked to pay in order that they can coach.

Thanks.

Fair to say that AGB stand fairly and squarely in the "if you want to go on a coaching course it's going to cost you" camp.

I will be looking at doing a Level 1 coaching course next year and I'm saving up to pay, I wouldn't ask my club to fund me because we have a couple of coaches already but it's something I want to do so I will pay my money and crack on.

Karl

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
This has always seemed pretty short sighted of AGB to me. I can understand AGB wanting to confirm your commitment before training you as a coach but there has to be a better way than screwing money out of you. I can't think of a better way to improve grass-roots archery than to get more coaches in clubs and they just make it hard for the individuals.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
It is AGB insurance that prohibits payment, rather than AGB itself. If you want to charge beyond reasonable expenses then you need to sort out insurance yourself. Also venue, equipment etc.

I may be wrong..................
Wasn't this changed recently (in the last year or so)?? I'm sure I recall reading something, maybe on here, about this rule being changed...

Mark31121

Ironman
From the October SAP's

Coaching
Affiliated coaches (paid and unpaid) when carrying out the following:
• Coaching at recognised Archery GB clubs.
• Coaching for Archery GB (the Society) at archery venues/events other than their own club.
• Coaching for their Regional Society at archery venues/events within that Regional Society.
• Coaching for their County Association at archery venues/events within that County
Association.
Cover is not provided for freelance coaching or coaching (paid or unpaid) outside the above agreed
environment.

So as long as it's an actual AGB club/shoot then you can be paid to coach, but you can't use the insurance to charge people to be coached in your garden etc (unless it's a registered club ground of course).

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Glad to hear it. Must have missed the change. I said that I may be wrong ... :duh:

ben tarrow

almost exactly a year ago as it turns out... THREAD - payment coaches
Our club now pays its coaches for running beginners courses. The coaches have to give up their own valuable shooting time to teach the beginners, but additionally to that, the coaches also have to support those beginners with the multitude of questions and needs that beginners inevitably have on their route from beginner to novice. As the club makes a tidy profit from hosting beginners courses, from which the membership naturally benefit financially, we felt it reasonable and important, not only to recompense the coaches for their time and costs of becoming a coach and maintaining their coaching license, but also to reward the coaches for the important work that those coaches do.

We also pay for training wannabe coaches to become qualified in return for the trainee coach delivering an agreed number of beginners courses as part of their training and shortly after qualifying.

The area we havent mastered yet is payment for the coaches working directly one to one with the archer. How to separate a "quick bit of help" here and there, which people expect to be free, from a more intensive round of one on one coaching which the archer should pay for.
We're going to experiment with having dedicated sessions for coaching which our archers will pay for, where the participants are specifically looking to improve their shooting. We feel that making a charge for the service and payment of that charge forms a more formal contract of expectation and delivery between the coach and archer. We're looking at "Boost Archery" as a stepping stone into this for the early summer.

Our coaches all agree that they get a lot of personal satisfaction and enjoyment from teaching and helping others, but in return we as archers should show our appreciation for their time and effort.
You dont get new equipment for free, you dont get to shoot for free, so why expect to be coached for free?

ben tarrow

Additionally I saw that one of the EMAS counties has submitted a request to the region, that all coaches and judges should be paid a standardized rate, above and beyond the usual rate of expenses, for work done at county and regional level. The rate of payment being related to the level of qualification of the judge or coach.

Whitehart

The AGB courses are cheaper than most sports everyone pays in all sports look at the costs for football.

My concern is the content being taught at both level 1 and level 2 - until you get above these levels the syllabus seem more on the lines of teaching the basics rather than coaching. Also the current syllabus seems at odds with what has been going on at the higher levels.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
ben tarrow;774662We feel that making a charge for the service and payment of that charge forms a more formal contract of expectation and delivery between the coach and archer.[/QUOTE said:
Well actually it forms a full legal contract to the full extent in contract law :)

ieuan_johns

I don't know anyone who didn't get at least their level 1 paid for through grants, it's almost an automatic acceptance. Your club just puts the application in so any worry about asking the club to pay is frankly nonsense. I suggest you speak to your club about it, they probably already know all the required details, if not then your county will.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I paid for all my own coaching. It would cost even more had I gone on to county coach level3.
It gives me a sense that coaches are not so valuable as to be seen as a benefit to the system. I wanted to be a coach, so paid to get something I wanted.
I don't feel wanted by the system that trained me.

roytherecurve

As I understand it,

Technically speaking, you don't have to pay to coach, as long as you're being supervised by a Qualified coach within your own club.

You do have to pay to become a Qualified coach, and there's the difference!
As with any qualification you want in life, there is training and assessment involved which is carried out by professional educators and they have expenses and fees as well as the admin that's involved with becoming a recognised coach within any sporting organisation.
My L1 course was part funded by my club with me making up the difference as a commitment to what I was going to do. Having some investment in your qualification shows you are committed to the sport and don't just want a qualification for the sake of having one!
Something earned is more valuable than something given away.

ben tarrow

Technically speaking, you don't have to pay to coach, as long as you're being supervised by a Qualified coach within your own club.
Surely there are no limitations on coaching. If you want to coach and you can find people who want to be coached by you then you're a go. Thats the difference between qualified and non qualified coaches. Anyone can say "I'm a coach", not everyone can say they hold qualifications, holding (or not holding) a qualification is no guarantee of quality of coaching.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this mean coaching by coaches that do not charge is less valuable ?;)
Payment given is more valuable than payment requested.

fbirder

Anyone can say "I'm a coach", not everyone can say they hold qualifications, holding (or not holding) a qualification is no guarantee of quality of coaching.
Absolutely. I've met some qualified coaches that couldn't teach a fish to swim. OTOH, some of the best advice I ever had as a beginner was from somebody with no qualifications whatsoever, but a hell of a lot of experience.