payment for coaches

ben tarrow

Am I the only one to spot the "totally out of the blue" U turn by Archery GB on paying coaches in the latest magazine?

For as long as I can remember, many coaches have questioned why they cant be covered under GNAS insurance whilst doing coaching work for payment.

Suddenly, without warning, Archery GB declare "we've changed our minds, its ok to coach for payment now"

Where did that come from?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Am I the only one to spot the "totally out of the blue" U turn by Archery GB on paying coaches in the latest magazine?

Where did that come from?
Nope,

I'm guessing someone asked the right person to check

Munsterman

Possibly the insurers T&C's have changed allowing coverage for paid training ??

Karl
Apparently the insurers never had an issue with it - according to the first paragraph paragraph it was an "AGB requirement". A somewhat illogical one at that!

chuffalump

That article reads like AGB thought the insurers wouldn't allow it but didn't bother actually asking.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
When I did my coach course, I was told that anyone making money out of coaching would need their own Public Liability Insurance, since they would be operating on a commercial basis and should fund it themselves. But a couple of years after that (2011-ish) a Senior Coach told me that the Society's PLI DID cover coaches when they were taking payment.

I suspect this insurance thing was a relic of the long-standing sniffiness about professionalism in sport.

ben tarrow

I teach beginners courses. The club makes a lot of money from them, subsidizing the members club subs. I have to pay to attend courses etc to earn CPD points to keep my qualification. The club tells me "we cant pay you for your time teaching beginners because its against the rules", so teaching beginners costs my time and money effectively to subsidise everyone elses fees.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I don't think paying for a coach's time has ever been against the rules; but I know that it has been accepted, by many, that a coach won't charge for their time. Some are offered money to cover cost of transport if the coach travels to the archer in question.
Helping on a beginners' course is something some archers do as part of their contribution to the club. Some do committee work, which can take a lot of time in some clubs. Some help to set out the field on shooting days, or fix broken gear. Clubs run because some volunteer to do things for the club.
Many clubs have a few members who don't do much in the way of helping out..... that's life.
I agree that it seems unfair that a coach has to pay to get qualified and to keep the qualification up to date.
Some clubs pay to have one or more of their members attend coaching courses and updates.Coaching has a different value, depending on who you ask.

Munsterman

I teach beginners courses. The club makes a lot of money from them, subsidizing the members club subs. I have to pay to attend courses etc to earn CPD points to keep my qualification. The club tells me "we cant pay you for your time teaching beginners because its against the rules", so teaching beginners costs my time and money effectively to subsidise everyone elses fees.
sounds like your club are taking the ****. I wonder what they will say now that is clear to all that you can charge for your time.

T

the-poet

Most archery coaching is free and generally you get what you pay for.

Hopefully as more and more coaches charge the cream will rise and the rest will give up doling out the bad advice.

No one should charge for a club beginners course though.

cornish george

As I understand it no one had actually talked to the insurers about it. When they did the insurers said they had no problem with it so instant u turn from "management".

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
OK, so they can't/couldn't pay for your time in teaching beginners, but there are other ways in which they could have rewarded you for your efforts. Did they offer to subsidise your CPD (or getting your coaching licence in the first place)? Have they offered "benefit in kind" e.g. reduced club fees? There are ways to reimburse people for their time beyond straight cash-in-hand...

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
No one should charge for a club beginners course though.
I disagree. Beginners courses are a good way to make some income for a club, but even if a club doesn't feel they can or want to make any money on courses they still may have costs to cover, for example wear and tear on equipment (inevitably there is a higher rate of attrition on arrows with beginners generally hitting anything but the target!), cost of venue hire (for those that don't have dedicated facilities and need to use local sports halls etc.), and where they do have their own facilities there's heating/lighting costs. Not all clubs run their beginners courses during the regular club evenings/sessions, some run them as a separate event so as to avoid disrupting the shooting time of club members.

Aleatorian

I think the context was with regards to the coach charging for the time spent delivering the course, not the club actually charging for the course to be run.

I also agree on your previous post, as where sessions are run in normal club days then where the coach has given up their practice time to deliver the course then some form of compensation should be given that isn't in legal tender in the hand (your examples: subsidised renewal or reduces fees)