Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Etiquette or Hurt Pride ??

Thanks

Poor Etiquette or Hurt Pride ??

Had a super rare evening pass yesterday so I put it to good use by popping to a local'ish club who have indoor facilities for a bit of fun with the new compound.

I've not shot at this club for about 2 years and never done compound there but they have a warm, well lit range with a lovely wall full of foam targets so it was game on. Almost twenty archers there, three of whom were compound and one of those I had shot longbow against in the summer (let's call him Bob) & whom I dropped in next to on targets 2 & 3 with a junior compound on 4 all shooting 3-spot.

Bob and I were checking out each other's kit and mostly talking longbow, he was shooting a fairly new PSE he had picked up 2nd hand for indoor season but was impressed I had managed to get a full setup for as little as I had. On lane 1 was a man I can only describe as "Mr Hoyt" clad head to toe in branded gear with a stunning matte purple Prevail - he was also VERY focussed.

My rough guess sight mark was pretty much spot on so sighters went well and the Portsmouth went really well - I scored a 564 which I was delighted with & my sparring partner a 576 - now herein lies the etiquette issue, I don't have a poker face (never have) so if I am having a bad day it's easy to see I am having a bad day but likewise if I am on a good day you really know I am on a good day. Shooting multiple back-to-back 30's may have made me a little excitable with 28's or 29's eliciting a fair bit of winding up from Bob at the target faces.

I think my effusiveness may have irked 'Mr Hoyt' as by the time we reached half time break there were low grumpy comments being mumbled, so like the nice archer I am I wound my neck firmly in for the second half - made no difference to my scores but I hoped it might placate our neighbour.

Bob then began asking me about my bow setup and what tuning I had been doing while we were pulling arrows - I had to be honest and say a couple of us had spent about 20 minutes last weekend bolting all the bits on once they finally arrived, had a quick tweak to see if centre shot was somewhere near, tied on a D loop then I grabbed a set of carbons out of club stock (Easton 3-18 someone bought off eBay by mistake) too stiff for any of the recurves to shoot before shooting a Frostbite. Wouldn't know a walk back or paper tune if it bit me on the bum

I realised this was probably more for the benefit of our neighbour than his own curiousness when we finally finished and my target partner promptly turned to 'Mr Hoyt' and in an overly loud voice proclaimed "Blinking heck, only a 555, he's beaten you with a bow that cost less than your scope!"

I have never been more grateful for how quickly a compound breaks down into its bag as I smiled and legged it.

On arriving home a text from Bob advised me that Mr Hoyt had a mini meltdown after I left, ranting about archer etiquette, visiting archers and even demanding to see my score sheet AND target face to verify my scoring !!

I don't think I broke any etiquette rules:

It was an informal evening club session rather than a competition, all conversation occurred at the bosses during scoring, there was a constant heap of background disturbance on the line as some club members were having a mini coaching session down one end plus I didn't scratch, burp or fart on the line at any point

A case of sour grapes or may I genuinely have transgressed somehow?

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sounds like they've a club member there known as "an ar$e"... and that your friend Bob was clearly having fun winding him up!
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bimble For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (16-12-17)

In the Black I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.
    Thanks
    Yep sour grapes, spent loads and not as good as he hopes.
    You house proud town mouse,
    Ha ha charade you are

5. The Following User Says Thank You to floydfanian For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (16-12-17)

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. Timid Toad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sounds like sour grapes, but do be aware of being dragged into club politics - it won't be your fault but you do want to look after your own reputation.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Timid Toad For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (16-12-17)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timid Toad View Post
    Sounds like sour grapes, but do be aware of being dragged into club politics - it won't be your fault but you do want to look after your own reputation.

Didn't think of that as a possibility - chances are it could be another two years before I shoot there again anyhow

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Sounds like a great case of all the gear no idea ! Just enjoy your shooting Karl which from your posts sounds like you are .
    Cheers Chris Cant

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bspoke For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (16-12-17)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast