Recommendations for recurve limbs about ?300 budget

George Walker

Hi folks, I'm thinking of upping my poundage. I have been shooting with SF Ultimate Pro limbs 40lb but pulling 44@ 30"draw. They are very easy for me to draw and they don't reach 90m. I'm looking for maybe a 50lb set for a budget of about ?300. Any recommendations?

blakey

Hi folks, I'm thinking of upping my poundage. I have been shooting with SF Ultimate Pro limbs 40lb but pulling 44@ 30"draw. They are very easy for me to draw and they don't reach 90m. I'm looking for maybe a 50lb set for a budget of about ?300. Any recommendations?
I would have thought that the Ultimate Pro limbs are some of the best value ones out there. I find it hard to believe you cannot reach 90m with them. :) I can shoot 70M barebow with a set of 30 lbs Pros. I know of people who have won the Australian Nationals with 28 lbs limbs. 44 lbs @ 30" should enable you to shoot clout out to 185M. I would think that you could try different sight positions, or change your arrows to lighter ones. McKinneyIIs would definitely get you out there. Carbon Ones should too. Something must be wrong. Have a chat to the coach at your local club:) Cheers.

George Walker

Thanks Blakey, I am the coach, I started the club nearly 2 years ago and we only had access to shorter ranges until recently. I shoot well at shorter distances but I'm a newcomer to long range. I'm using A/C/C 3-39 440 aŕrows which are spined for 40-45lb. Another member reaches 90m with 3L 18 arrows also A/C/C on a 29" draw. My sight is almost snagging my flights. What could be wrong?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Getting the distance isn't just about poundage and arrow weight, although they play a large part. Another aspect to consider is how far the back of the arrow is below your aiming eye. If, at full draw, you have the draw hand up close to your eye, the sight will need to be very low to reach any mid range target.
If the draw hand is under the jaw, the same sight mark will get you further. Sometimes the index finger is curled round the front of the jaw, not under, and that shortens the range. Some archers have very short faces, so even with the draw hand under the jaw, the distance from eye down to arrow nock is shorter than most and that lowers sight marks.
If the sight is way out at full extension, it could be brought right in close to the riser.

Tuck

Try a platform tab with adjustable platform to increase the eye to arrow distance.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

SiKirk

ACC's that size are like stair rods. The poundage and draw you have should get you to the max distance already. If you are happy with your form, then the first stop for me would be to ditch the acc and look at lighter arrows.

Tuck

Look at the whole arrow construction, you have the stiffest arrow recommended, and the heaviest. What fletchings and point weight? All will affect range considerably.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

OskarsL

I also have similar "problem"... I can't reach 90m with sight fully extended, but its fine with the extension half way in. Even with 46lbs on fingers at my 31.25" draw length the 440 ACC are bit too heavy and drop rapidly after 70m.

As for recommended limbs - I have Uukha EX1 that cost just below ?300 and I really like them. :)

Bobc

Win & win Winex can be found for around ?280- these go beyond the draw weight of the Ultimate pros and are well tested..

Its worth noting that with a set of 42 pound ultimate pros I easily made 90m with XX75.s - aluminium and 30%+ heavier than acc's. My draw length is 29 inches. Average size face. Robust form may well give you the distance with your limbs, whilst upping poundage might just exacerbate the problem if it is form related...

hot-shooter84

I have a suggestion, I'm not saying don't buy the limbs, but from where I'm standing 50lb limbs seems a bit extreme, it's fine at Olympic level where your only shooting a few dozen arrows but if your going to be doing full FITAs or Yorks it's going to kill you, i'm a county level archer and I shoot 44lb limbs with 29.1/4 520 ACEs with a little over 46lb on my fingers and that's enough to get me to 90m and 100 yards, you really should consider a set of lighter ACE arrows and just ditch the heavy ACCs, maybe use them for clout, field or indoors.

I can't believe you can't hit 90M with your bow. I'm using 34lb limbs and with a draw just short of 30" I'm pulling just short of 40lb OTF and I can hit 90M with my ACG's. What size points are you using. I'm using 120 grain points and admittedly if I was using lighter points I'd probably struggle. If you were using cheap limbs then possibly I could understand it but the SF Ultimate Pro limbs are decent limbs and I doubt you would notice a big enough difference to hit 90M. For reference I recently upgraded from basic SF Premium limbs (essentially a plank of wood ;) ) to W&W Rapido and these have improved my sight marks by 5 points I.e. If my old sight marks were 6.7 now they are 6.2. The Rapido is a very nice limb and incredibly smooth but although I would recommend them I don't think your current limbs are the problem.

hot-shooter84

Lets not forget there is no point in drawing comparisons at this point because limb length makes a huge difference too, and we don't know what length limbs are in question here, I suspect a 70" bow, as I had similar troubles, yet a mate of mine at the club had the same riser, same poundage but as a 68" and he had no troubles getting the distances.
A 68" bow of 34lb will be faster than a 70" bow of 34lb, but with shorter limbs the shot become less forgiving and you lose a small degree of accuracy but that's something else to take into consideration.

hi do heavie points make the arrow travel further
Try throwing an empty coke can and see how far you can throw it. Then try throwing a full one. It goes further. It's basic physics, a force applied to a mass produces energy. Increase the mass you increase the energy. Energy = Speed. Speed = Distance.

hot-shooter84

That's all very well but it's there is an optimum weight and basically you can equal it to: force (which is a constant in this case) ? mass, but there comes a point when increasing the mass where the force ? mass causes the forward kinetic force to drop off very sharply. When shown on paper it appears as a parabolic curve and it's getting the point weight and force applied matched just right, so that when shooting your on the apex of the force curve for optimum performance and getting the best speed and range from your arrow. So no increasing point weight has its limits, but having said that, this is why I like ACCs because you can experiment with lots of point weights and with ACEs you probably could try the screw in points to experiment with too.

sylvanus333

That's all very well but it's there is an optimum weight and basically you can equal it to: force (which is a constant in this case) ? mass, but there comes a point when increasing the mass where the force ? mass causes the forward kinetic force to drop off very sharply. When shown on paper it appears as a parabolic curve and it's getting the point weight and force applied matched just right, so that when shooting your on the apex of the force curve for optimum performance and getting the best speed and range from your arrow. So no increasing point weight has its limits, but having said that, this is why I like ACCs because you can experiment with lots of point weights and with ACEs you probably could try the screw in points to experiment with too.
hi tennis ball cricket ball same size i will have to try after smashing up 3 dozen ace due to cost i am thinking of buying acc due to cost but i dont want to lose to much distance can you recommend them

hot-shooter84

Absolutely, your probably looking at losing 10 graduations on your sight but if you can live with it, the ACCs are excellent value arrows. I have won many a competition with ACCs so don't be put off just because of popular opinion that if it costs more it must be better. I personally can't fault them