Which season do you prefer and why. ( in or out door)

Marcus37

So I have been talking via facebook to my dad who also shoots, about season with in archery and the pros and cons.
I personally enjoy outdoor season more than indoor as I really dislike the 3 spot targets and find that style of shooting a little boring as I like to see my groups getting tighter as I improve.
Outdoor I love shooting our clubs 324 round as I can focus on grouping in the gold and change my distance every range day. With the addition of the fresh air and more space to move it's a much nicer way to shoot for me.

What about you?

ben tarrow

Like you Marcus37, I like the big open spaces of outdoors, fresh air, warm sunshine, but unfortunately I live in England and I dislike the cold, the wind and rain.
As the person who books our field and sportshall, its hard to get it right. People pester me for weeks in March: "when are we going outside?" as we shoot indoors whilst the sun beats down outside with temperatures in the 20s celsius. Then we do go outdoors (April) and the temperature drops to single figures and the wind blows cold and all but a hardy/foolish few complain how cold it is. Of course, at the other end of the "summer" season its the other way around. Everyone looks forwards to going indoors but the timing is never right.
Someone once said to me, in England, we dont have seasons, we have weather.
For me, you can please some of the people all of the time and most of the people some of the time, but the weather is a different matter.

Marcus37

Like you Marcus37, I like the big open spaces of outdoors, fresh air, warm sunshine, but unfortunately I live in England and I dislike the cold, the wind and rain.
As the person who books our field and sportshall, its hard to get it right. People pester me for weeks in March: "when are we going outside?" as we shoot indoors whilst the sun beats down outside with temperatures in the 20s celsius. Then we do go outdoors (April) and the temperature drops to single figures and the wind blows cold and all but a hardy/foolish few complain how cold it is. Of course, at the other end of the "summer" season its the other way around. Everyone looks forwards to going indoors but the timing is never right.
Someone once said to me, in England, we dont have seasons, we have weather.
For me, you can please some of the people all of the time and most of the people some of the time, but the weather is a different matter.
Yep I get were you are coming from, it's still a little cold for evening shoots for some at the moment, weekend mornings seem to be more popular. Personally as a retired ( from a knee injury) road cycling and mountain biking masochist I trained all year round to keep at peak fitness, so a little chilly wind is no big deal.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
After starting in January and shooting indoors (PB, Portsmouth of 543), I seemed to get much worse outside but tonight was a cracking session. Did a Long Warwick and loved it even though on 80 yards, I can't get my sight low enough so had to aim at a spot in the trees above the target! Only one miss once I sorted a rough spot though.

So need to sort that out (it was fine at 60 yards; I'm on 50lbs) but still fun.

Marcus37

Kernowlad;777015I can't get my sight low enough so had to aim at a spot in the trees above the target! Only one miss once I sorted a rough spot though. So need to sort that out (it was fine at 60 yards; I'm on 50lbs) but still fun.[/QUOTE said:
Can you not change the bolt location on your sight, moveing your sight body down so you can shoot longer distance?, most half decent sights can.
You don't need a high draw weight bow to shoot 60 yards, more so with compound, but it does have some advantages.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Can you not change the bolt location on your sight, moveing your sight body down so you can shoot longer distance?, most half decent sights can.
You don't need a high draw weight bow to shoot 60 yards, more so with compound, but it does have some advantages.
The sight (Shibuya Ultima) was set as far back and as low as possible.

It does the distance no problem (the arrows needed a puller every time) - I've shot the same arrows over 200 metres - just not got the sight in the right place. Slightly annoying especially as I got a few in the yellow and plenty in the red aiming at a vague point above the target!

Marcus37

The sight (Shibuya Ultima) was set as far back and as low as possible.

It does the distance no problem (the arrows needed a puller every time) - I've shot the same arrows over 200 metres - just not got the sight in the right place. Slightly annoying especially as I got a few in the yellow and plenty in the red aiming at a vague point above the target!
Ahh I see, for me over 50 yards I tend to switch out to a 0.75 lens in my scope, helps a lot I have found, I have the 1 lens but it's hard to steady that in a breeze so I've not used it much, most of the time I shoot with my dad at 30 yards so I mainly use the 0.5 as we tend to share a butt. Also the reason I have a bag of his taper nocks for his jazz arrows :)

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've always preferred the outdoor season, even with English weather I'd much rather be outside in the cold than inside. I find outdoors I can open up more, there is more space on the line and the added bonus of varying ranges and styles of shoots (target, clout, flight, [yet to try field]). Indoors I feel very cramped and don't enjoy shooting as much, so much so I often arrive when few people are there and walk up and down the line shooting at random targets whilst walking to present more of a interest.

jerryRTD

Outside is all BIG spaces and serious stuff and I do find that enjoyable. But indoors I can take part in the fun shoots Xmass with the 'don't hit the reindeer' and baubles on the trees and pop the balloons . Other similar themed shoots on hallowen, easter and 5 th nov an feb14th make indoors a lot of fun.
As for three spot faces, they are a fact of life. If I put a 2315 in the compound ten the there is no space for another one in a 40cm face then It gets expensive with smashed arrows.
Marcus ,remember gold is not good enough, it's only a nine

Last edited:

Simon Banks

Am a field archery every season is different and the courses all change as well. Shooting outside is tranquil and I wouldn't swap it for anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corax67

Our club has no indoor venue so we only have one season :)

i do (rarely) shoot indoors with a neighbouring club as a guest but I don't enjoy it that much, it's all a bit to 'claustrophobic' with archers shoulder to shoulder on the shooting line, too much kit to trip over - I am clumsy - and battered arrows all a regular feature.

Outdoor on the other hand is soooo much more fun, acres of space, a good walk shooting 80yd & 100yd targets, many happy hours spent hunting through grass with metal detectors to find arrows, sunburn & frostbite in the same day plus aiming at one target to hit another one you are actually scoring on due to an ever shifting zephyr or gale :)

I am happiest pinging arrows at 100yds in the middle of a field with a longbow in my hand in sun or rain.

Karl

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Our club has no indoor venue so we only have one season :)

i do (rarely) shoot indoors with a neighbouring club as a guest but I don't enjoy it that much, it's all a bit to 'claustrophobic' with archers shoulder to shoulder on the shooting line, too much kit to trip over - I am clumsy - and battered arrows all a regular feature.

Outdoor on the other hand is soooo much more fun, acres of space, a good walk shooting 80yd & 100yd targets, many happy hours spent hunting through grass with metal detectors to find arrows, sunburn & frostbite in the same day plus aiming at one target to hit another one you are actually scoring on due to an ever shifting zephyr or gale :)

I am happiest pinging arrows at 100yds in the middle of a field with a longbow in my hand in sun or rain.

Karl
What a great post!

To "cure" my arrows falling short issue, I've just thrown ?230 at a set (12) of ACG arrows. No excuses now...

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I cant get to our indoor venue because of the timing of it so I do may portsmouths outside as well. Hasnt felt too cold for the lase couple of years so the padded clothing not too restrictive. Anyway, I then have another excuse for doing badly. The current list is slightly longer then Wikipedia and still discovering new ones.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I cant get to our indoor venue because of the timing of it so I do may portsmouths outside as well. Hasnt felt too cold for the lase couple of years so the padded clothing not too restrictive. Anyway, I then have another excuse for doing badly. The current list is slightly longer then Wikipedia and still discovering new ones.

Ha ha, probably similar to mine.
Been at it since February; how long does the "I'm a beginner" excuse last?!

Marcus37

Funny enough with you guys talking field, i really wanna try that, but the clubs down my way don't seem to do meany "have a go" type days. Would love to though if it's 3D as this country's nanny state won't let me hunt. After watching all the long deer stalking videos on you tube I would love to hunt my dinner in the grate outdoors.

(To those against hunting, I don't agree with just killing for fun, but support the idea for food, if your not gonna eat it don't shoot it is my way of looking at it)

Corax67

What a great post!

To "cure" my arrows falling short issue, I've just thrown ?230 at a set (12) of ACG arrows. No excuses now...

Oh you compounders - I spent a whole ?35 on a set of 12 shafts with points, Nocks & fletchings that comfortably reach 100yds !

Of course the ?360 Gary Evans longbow I bought to fling them out there plus the cost of a trip to Wales to buy it takes the price up a little but still cheaper than a compound I think ;)

Karl

Corax67

Ha ha, probably similar to mine.
Been at it since February; how long does the "I'm a beginner" excuse last?!

Sadly only as long as the start of the next tranche of beginners appears - however you do get to upgrade to "I am currently developing my form" instead 👍

jerryRTD

Oh you compounders - I spent a whole ?35 on a set of 12 shafts with points, Nocks & fletchings that comfortably reach 100yds !

Of course the ?360 Gary Evans longbow I bought to fling them out there plus the cost of a trip to Wales to buy it takes the price up a little but still cheaper than a compound I think ;)

Karl
But what do you hit with the arrows when they get there?