Security marking

Brianpaul

AIUK Saviour
Hi All - my first thread
Does anyone know of a security marking system for our equipment which as we all know can be very costly to replace and in some cases irreplaceable.
Is there a central lost and found or stolen register where potential buyers of 2nd hand equipment can go to make sure of the rightful owner of the equipment for sale. Anyone can put up for sale any equipment on Ebay for example without any history of ownership. Infra red markers come to mind for putting postcodes on but who carries a detector with them to check. I will look forward to any suggestions.
Brianpaul

King Custard

I know Perris Archery have a list or register of some sort. there's a link if remember on their site

Oops see above link!

Brianpaul

AIUK Saviour
They seem to be able to microchip cats dogs etc and they get lost and stolen and I was wondering whether it was possible to do the same for archery equipment, just a thought.

T

TimCroot

How about DATA TAG used by motorcycles? a small chip and some other UV markings i believe.

May be difficult gluing things to limbs but im sure there would be a way

Mickle

Datatag is a set of transponders that is fitted to the major components of a motorcycle to deter theft. These can be detected using a suitable transmitter/receiver device that the police use (if they can be bothered).

Another solution is Smartwater, which Honda supply on all their bikes, it's a bottle of clear liquid which is painted on various parts of the machine. It contains millions of microdots with a unique, tracable number. This is alledgedly impossible to wash off or remove. Datatag also has a Datadot system which may be the same.

The whole thing is used as a deterrant, you need to stick a big sticker on the outside of your tackle box announcing that it is protected. The police also need to use a UV lamp to light up property they think is stolen.