Sf g-fiber foam limbs

Boogy1973

Hi everyone
I'm new here but I want your opinions on wether there are ongoing problems with the sf g-fiber foam limbs as I have just had a set de-laminate. And also your opinions on what might be suitable alternatives.
Thanks.

Marcus37

Hi everyone
I'm new here but I want your opinions on wether there are ongoing problems with the sf g-fiber foam limbs as I have just had a set de-laminate. And also your opinions on what might be suitable alternatives.
Thanks.
SF Limbs are made by Winwin so I'm surprised to here that this has happened, have you stored them in a hot place like in a car or near a home heating? As things like that can weaken the glues and cause this. Also so can dry fireing.

SF are a budget Brand but are generally pretty good, as I said above they are made by WinWin, fibre foam limbs are generally better than glass and wood as they are less likely to twist and have a much smoother draw.
Several people at my club use these limbs and I've not herd of any problems.

Boogy1973

Yeh I was surprised as well,no I haven't done anything wrong with them.they are on there way back to alt services under warranty.

Marcus37

Yeh I was surprised as well,no I haven't done anything wrong with them.they are on there way back to alt services under warranty.
I guess like most things it's easy to get a bad one here or there, that for some reason just fails. At least they are replacing them

RHPROULX

Supporter
Supporter
what are you using for a bowstring? At the price point of these limbs they may need some stretch to absorb shock. If you are shooting a BCY-X or other string type that has no stretch it may be imparting too much shock to the limbs and causing the delamination. You may need a Dacron string or perhaps you might be able to use Dynaflight97. Check with the manufacturer for string requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

what are you using for a bowstring? At the price point of these limbs they may need some stretch to absorb shock. If you are shooting a BCY-X or other string type that has no stretch it may be imparting too much shock to the limbs and causing the delamination. You may need a Dacron string or perhaps you might be able to use Dynaflight97. Check with the manufacturer for string requirements.

Boogy1973

Yeh. I'm currently using 8125. I run short Limbs on a 25" riser and I have them wound fully in. I'm trying to figure out if they are being over stressed. But I'll give the string idea some thought too.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
No manufacturer recommends the use of an X fibre on recurves. It's designed for compounds.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
The SF limbs will run any normal recurve bowstring. You certainly don't need to resort to Dacron, fastflight or any other modern string will be fine.
Never seen an issue with SF limbs, I shot a pair of carbon foams for 3 years and a lot of our club members use them. I think you were just unlucky and got a bad pair.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have a set of low poundage SF limbs that I use occasionally coming back from injury (most recently a broken rib but that's not important..........)

Last time that I got them off the shelf I noticed that the top limb had lots of horizontal cracks in them. They could be cracks in the lacquer; they could be something worse. But this is a set of limbs that have seen very little use. Again, it could just be an unlucky set, and it could just be cosmetic, but because of this and other issues that I've had with their kit I'm not impressed with SF quality.

Boogy1973

One of the more senior archers at my club looked at mine an said you get what you pay for. I only paid 54eur for them. He had a point! A lot of people do shoot these limbs.

Marcus37

One of the more senior archers at my club looked at mine an said you get what you pay for. I only paid 54eur for them. He had a point! A lot of people do shoot these limbs.
While I agree with that in most cases, some items that are quite cheap are almost as good as the high end versions.