Shock at the top

heroblob

Is it true what I've just heard.
High profile Olympic archer being dropped from the GB squad.
Has the implosion started.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
it does seem very surprising... I'm sure they (the selectors) have their reasons... but they'd better be damned good ones!!

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
If what I've read on FB is true, current World Field Team Champion and UK ranked #1 archer Naomi Folkard... or at least partially dropped. I suspect there are others who know more/better.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Though like I said, this is only what I've seen off facebook... so I sort of can't believe it's actually true. This is my disclaimer in case I'm wrong. :censored:

Swampster

Ahh so it's not the story about Alison Williamson's departure resurfacing then... so yeah that is pretty surprising news!
Makes me wonder on what basis they decide who stays and who goes. If there's nobody consistently better at present then surely the incumbents in the team should stay put until a)they wish to step down or b)some bright new talent comes along and competitively takes their place...

perhaps, I'm just naive :pessimist

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
From what I understand, they are not being cut from squad, they are being dropped from podium funding to potential funding due to UK Sport cuts. The same reason the para squad lost half it's members. AGB is doing a radical shakeup. Sad times indeed :(

Flying Whale

Though like I said, this is only what I've seen off facebook... so I sort of can't believe it's actually true. This is my disclaimer in case I'm wrong. :censored:
Given that she posted "Darn, I was looking forward to Rio" on FB, I guess it is fairly clear.

Craftsman

Absolutely typical....some other sports were deemed not to have performed to expectations, so what do you do???

Cut the funding of course,,,,that'll help no end and give more to the sports that did well and got more medals!

Where do these people get their ideas from?

simfar

If what clickerati says is true then this is means the athlete decided to leave the squad for financial reasons. There have been some other instances recently where athletes have made the decision to leave based on not liking the changed offer from AGB PU. However no one so far has made anything clear. Think AGB needs to step up its media management.

Furface

Supporter
From what I understand, they are not being cut from squad, they are being dropped from podium funding to potential funding due to UK Sport cuts. The same reason the para squad lost half it's members. AGB is doing a radical shakeup. Sad times indeed :(
Far be it from me to support AGB, but...
(Writing entirely theoretically, without reference to any one, real person). Funding has been cut, and AGB have to take tough decisions about prioritising what is available. I would guess that one of the questions is whether you reduce the number funded, or spread the money around everyone, but thinner. Then you have to take a cold, possibly brutal, look at who should receive the funding. This should take into account current achievement, but also the potential to maintain that achievement and develop sufficiently to challenge in four years time. (That is what the funding is for, like it or not.). This cannot be an exact science, and there will be cogent arguments for and against every decision. I am truly glad not to have to make such decisions. But I believe it is a good sign that those who have to make them have made them.
Craftsman said:
Absolutely typical....some other sports were deemed not to have performed to expectations, so what do you do???

Cut the funding of course,,,,that'll help no end and give more to the sports that did well and got more medals!

The funding is essentially for the "systems" that have worked, or have shown that they have worked sufficiently to suggest potential. If there is no possibility that, eg, British Handball will challenge in Rio, it should not be funded. The funding for producing the bedrock from which development to challenger status can start should come from the sport itself, its members - which is why AGB really needs to develop its coaching and competition structure. UK Sport funding is for challengers or near-challengers, not for developing the domestic set-ups.
Simfar said:
Think AGB needs to step up its media management.
Not half. FB, Twitter et al mean that anyone can grab the news agenda within seconds (as has happened here). AGB should have been there first.

Flying Whale

...where did the ideas come from? Big business, banks and politicians... who have all recently managed to deliver global recessssion. And managaers at the top still getting paid big pay rises (I see MPs are looking at trying to award themselves 30+ percent pay increase).

If what clickerati says is true then this is means the athlete decided to leave the squad for financial reasons. There have been some other instances recently where athletes have made the decision to leave based on not liking the changed offer from AGB PU. However no one so far has made anything clear. Think AGB needs to step up its media management.
I somehow don't think it was her decision to leave...

Exarcher

. Then you have to take a cold, possibly brutal, look at who should receive the funding. This should take into account current achievement, but also the potential to maintain that achievement and develop sufficiently to challenge in four years time. (That is what the funding is for, like it or not.).
Based on that, I can only assume that when AGB gets it's act together and makes a formal announcement, more than one head will have rolled !

Furface

Supporter
Based on that, I can only assume that when AGB gets it's act together and makes a formal announcement, more than one head will have rolled !
I should imagine so - but if we are to wait until AGB gets its act together, we might just miss Rio anyway.

Nightimer

Ok,how would YOU handle the situation.
They imported an American coach.
They installed a new performance director.
Result at the games, zero medals.
They are the facts.
Simple thing is that if you don't deliver the goods,reduced funding applies.
They have got to rethink their whole strategy and they have only got 4 years to do it.

fanio

...I see MPs are looking at trying to award themselves 30+ percent pay increase.
MPs are so ridiculously underpaid for the amount of responsibility they have (they are the COUNTRY's leaders, after all), that a pay rise for them seems reasonable (and will possibly bring their salaries up to something approaching that in our peer countries). Of course, those MPs should actually do the work of representing us, should not be able to hold other positions at the same time, should have tightly-controlled expense accounts, and generally be expected to perform at levels that won't have had them fired ages ago if they were employed in the private sector.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
MPs are so ridiculously underpaid for the amount of responsibility they have (they are the COUNTRY's leaders, after all), that a pay rise for them seems reasonable (and will possibly bring their salaries up to something approaching that in our peer countries). Of course, those MPs should actually do the work of representing us, should not be able to hold other positions at the same time, should have tightly-controlled expense accounts, and generally be expected to perform at levels that won't have had them fired ages ago if they were employed in the private sector.
Agree 100%. It's arguably the most important job in the country and in that light they are underpaid. Pay them well and make sure that they do the job.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Can we keep the MP pay rise farce to another thread please. Ta.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2