Shooting 100 yards

stumitch04

Hi y'all, I have just completed my first York round today. It was slightly embarrassing as I was not able to hit the target 🎯 with my sight in line with the target. I am pulling 38lb on my fingers, I have Cartel triple 400 spine with 125 grain points. I had to find a point 2 feet above the target with my sight to hit the face. My sight was as far down the bottom as I could get it and as near to the riser as it would go. I have an 18 strand string and threaded knocking points. I have a Hoyt Rx riser with F7 limbs. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Bertybobby

38lbs is just about on the limit of getting to 100 yards. Your jaw to eye distance is a factor too. You could try putting a knock in your teeth to increase that distance. Or you could turn your sight around so the pin is between the riser and string. Or you might need an extra 4 or 5 pounds of draw weight.

Bertybobby

With long arrows and heavy points you have reasonably heavy arrows and at 38lbs not quite enough oomph to get you to 100 yards. You can try the nock trick, inverting your sight and tightening your limb bolts all the way in and you might get there without messing with your arrows. If your arrows are tuned changing the points to a lighter point will increase the spine which can create more problems. I'd try everything else first before messing with your points.

JohnK

I can reach 70m with ease with 37lbs, and have sight arm to spare for 90m. This is with ACEs, 110gr points.

I think Cartels are on the heavy side, so yes, you will likely struggle. Also, 400 spine for a 30in arrow at 38lbs sounds a bit on the heavy side. I'm shooting ACE 520s, overall length around 32 5/8ins, with fast limbs (Border CV-Ws).

stumitch04

Time to up my poundage me thinks. I think I'll put lighter points in and retune also. Cheers guys.

JohnK

If you mean change limbs, it might be cheaper (and easier on your technique) to change arrows :)

I have some well-used ACE 470s (10 or 11 I think) that are surplus to requirements, but I think they'd likely be too stiff for you.

stumitch04

Cheers John but I have a few turns on my Limb bolts to play with. They are rated at 38lb but I could wind them up to 40lbs couldn't I? I'm not struggling too much on 38lb. At the moment my arrows are tuned very well ( bare shafts are in the same group as fetched) so if I wind the limbs up am i right in thinking that they will become more flexible so the lighter points would stiffen them up?

T

the-poet

I think this is far more likely to be a technique issue, that draw length and weight should have no problems with any carbon arrows.
i have a short eye - chin distance and had a 26 inch draw. I shot 100yrds in my novice year with 32lb on the fingers.

Make sure you're front shoulder and arm don't collapse on loose and that your loose is not dead or forwards.
Another thing that robs cast is raising your bowarm instead of tilting at the waist.

You will need some assistance to sort these out so find the club/ county coach and have a word

JohnK

I suppose a Cartel 400 spine must be whippier than an Easton 400 spine :)

Point weight has much less effect on tune than bow weight, but you might be able to experiment a little. Get some advice from a trusted local archer and/or coach; far better than relatively anonymous people on the Internet.

Good luck!

Mufti

I think this is far more likely to be a technique issue, that draw length and weight should have no problems with any carbon arrows.
i have a short eye - chin distance and had a 26 inch draw. I shot 100yrds in my novice year with 32lb on the fingers.

Make sure you're front shoulder and arm don't collapse on loose and that your loose is not dead or forwards.
Another thing that robs cast is raising your bowarm instead of tilting at the waist.

You will need some assistance to sort these out so find the club/ county coach and have a word
Totally agree, A sharp snappy release to make sure you are not loosing speed might just be the answer - saves on all sorts of additional purchases.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
It is most likely a bit of every thing but more some than others. 38lb at 30" draw length should get you to 100yds if, and it's a big 'IF', your eye to nocking point distance is not too small. I can reach 100yds with 34lbs on the fingers and 29" draw length using C1s. ACEs make it easier.
I know you need heavier arrows at longer draw lengths but the gain in draw length normally offsets the arrow weight. That is you store more energy at 30" than someone drawing 28" at the same draw weight :)
My first point of call would be the anchor. Are you side of face or under chin? If side of face try under chin. If already under chin are you using a shelf tab? If shelf tab try increasing shelf height. I have even put my thumb on top of the tab shelf when shooting a fixed shelf tab.
Are you using clicker? If not are your arrows too long? You only need an inch over the rest. If not using a clicker you may be losing draw length when raising the bow if you raise your bow arm instead of tilting at the waist.
Next... drop to 80/90 grain points.
Next... you don't mention how close above the arrow is the sight pin? You will need about 0.5" to 0.75" above the arrow to avoid contact. Most sights allow you to drop the elevation scale.
Next... what fletching do you use on the arrow. Small fletch with 0.5 degree offset is more than enough. Large fletch with big offset will kill light weight arrow distance.
ACEs may help with 80grain points. You could try borrowing some or buying one just to try.
Finally... a clean release will also help.

Good luck.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Slightly high nocking point? That can make a surprising amount of difference as you go up the distances.

Also, what was the clearance between the shaft and the sight pin? Sometimes even with the sight as far down the bar as it will go, there's still room to drop the bar a notch and get a sightmark that way.