Shooting Pain In Index Finger

I've noticed several times now when I draw my recurve bow that I will sometimes get a severe shooting pain in my index finger that is so bad that I have to quickly come down as fast as I safely can.

I have the string running through the first joint of my index finger and between the 1st and 2nd joints of the middle and ring finger. It doesn't happen every time, possibly only once during a session, but it feels as though the string is trapping a nerve/tendon/vein or something and it hurts a lot. Fortunately as soon as I come down the pain goes away and I can draw again without pain 9 times out of 10 but I don't feel completely relaxed about it until I've shot 2 or 3 other arrows. My bow isn't exactly high powered with 34lb limbs but due to my draw length I'm pulling about 40lb. The tab I use has two layers of leather and isn't worn out.

Anyone else experience this? Am I doing something wrong, is there something I can do/use to avoid this?

Mike47j

I started with the string in the joints, but got the sharp pain in the 1st finger and numbness in the 2nd.
Move the string a couple of mm out of each joint. Which way depends on which book you read.
I first moved towards the tip of the 1st finger and center of the 2nd and 3rd.
However, Inside the Archer has it towards the center of the 1st and 2nd and tip of the 3rd.
But when I started to try that, my local coach said the other way was better.

mediumtab

AIUK Saviour
If the tab you use has no platform,then you are loading the top finger with chin pressure as well as holding the string hooked........

You might want to try a platform tab.Keep a comfy gap between the top finger and the platform to ease pressure off the top finger.Try and take up the string with the middle finger first,so that it takes more of the tension -then let the other fingers take hold.Also try elevating your elbow slighty higher on the predraw
so the top finger takes its tension at a different angle.
All slight differences,but worth a try.......

Cheers all, will see how it goes over the next few weeks. Fortunately it didn't do it last night. I did try once altering my grip of the string but struggled to adapt and so my release suffered quite a bit. In thinking about it I think when it happens I might be kinda rolling my finger forward so that the string is making contact slightly more on the underside of the finger. Certainly it feels like it's in the lower half of the finger where the pain originates from. Hmm, will keep an eye on it more and see if I can identify exactly what it is I'm doing. Bloomin hurts though!

mediumtab

AIUK Saviour
Any change in the string hold takes some weeks to get use to.........expect your loose to be affected at first,but stick with it ,and forget scores for a while.
Try to makes sure you are not bearing down with the forefinger on the arrow,this will cause pain in the long term.Just a light touch is necessary,but it needs to be consistant......
Check your string take up on each arrow,putting on the middle finger first.