Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Discuss stabilisation at the General Archery Discussion & News within Archery Interchange Forums; Originally Posted by Rik My quick and dirty approach: Place a finger on the back ...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    My quick and dirty approach:
    Place a finger on the back of the bow opposite the grip, long rod hanging down: it should balance level with or below your normal pressure point on the grip.
    Then turn the bow upside down and place a finger underneath the extension or long rod. It should balance an inch or so forward of the stabiliser bushing.
    So the centre of mass is slightly forward and slightly down...
    Basically that's what I've done, not that I'm an expert or anything but it seems reasonable. I added several extra weights to the long rod, and extra weight to the side rod on the opposite side to the sight and plunger, which allowed the bow to balance straight when held as above, rather than have a tendency to yaw over to one side.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only £1.50 per month. Thank you!

Thanks
    Rik's quick an dirty method works quite well, its the way I used to check mine when I shot recurve, make a mental note of the rough area it was.

jonUK76, the yawing to one side at static is fairly irrelevant, as it's the grip pressure that comes into play, you may find you could have a natural right or left cant and would have to swap the weights over. As the sight and button are close to the center line of the bow that they have very little effect on weight distribution. Even compound archers like myself that use a single side rod don't use it to "counter balance the sight and scope setup" as is the common myth!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aleatorian For This Useful Post:

jonUK76 (12-10-17)

Thanks
    jonUK76 likes this.

It's an X, it is no more. AIUK subscriber. Rik's Avatar
    Thanks
    I should also agree with Geoff... balance and weight kind of interdepend, but it's possible to get similar balanced setups with more or less weight, by swapping out weights and other components (changing from a J-bar to a Shibuya v-bar, for example, cuts out a chunk of weight). More mass is only good up to the point that you can handle it and it doesn't lead to injury, and there are lots of options to get to a good result.
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I tend to set up my stabilisers by feel, as you can follow the books and other peoples recommendations All day but it may still feel wrong to you.

I just added and removed weights/ different extender lengths until i liked the feel of the balance, and found the balance between to heavy and to light etc itís very much trial and error.

It's an X, it is no more. AIUK subscriber. Rik's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus37 View Post
    I tend to set up my stabilisers by feel, as you can follow the books and other peoples recommendations All day but it may still feel wrong to you.

I just added and removed weights/ different extender lengths until i liked the feel of the balance, and found the balance between to heavy and to light etc itís very much trial and error.
    I bet if you check you'll find the balance is a bit forward and slightly down
    Ever tried? Ever failed?
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better! - Beckett

The marksman who hesitates is lost. Just take it for granted that you are going to hit and fire away before you have time to doubt the certainty of success. - Annie Oakley, 1894.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast