Team GB shoot for Bronze

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Well, in what can only be described as a upset, the GB recurve men knocked out #1 ranked team USA (with 697 Brady and gold medal match finalist Garrett) in the quarter finals at the Shanghai World Cup. They then lost 5-3 to Korea, so will be shooting for the bronze medal against India on Sunday morning. Coverage should be live on the World Archery youtube channel, starting at 10am local time (3am our time - I think)

DarkMuppet

Hard luck on the GB guys, the Indian team seemed to have it pretty dialed in from the start. Still, a good experience and hopefully gave them some practice for the next world cups and European champs.

What I can't understand though is why were they scheduled to fly home yesterday? Surely if you go to an event you book for the whole duration? I can't imagine it would do the team's confidence any good if they're told theyre going home before it ends as we don't think you'll make it past the eliminations and Archery GB want to save a few quid on the hotel rooms....

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
What I can't understand though is why were they scheduled to fly home yesterday? Surely if you go to an event you book for the whole duration? I can't imagine it would do the team's confidence any good if they're told theyre going home before it ends as we don't think you'll make it past the eliminations and Archery GB want to save a few quid on the hotel rooms....
A friend asked the same thing yesterday, I then asked, "well, did you expect to see them shooting on finals weekend?" to which they replied, "ummm, well, no." ;)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Someone is making a difference then!!!!
I could point out that causation does not equal correlation... though Spurious Correlations does it much funnier!! After all, Patrick is a junior world champion/70m junior world record holder/indoor world cup winner, Larry Godfrey is 'The Most Dangerous Man In Archery', three time Olympian, world championship bronze medalist, world cup winner. There is proven talent in the team.

my favourite is cheese consumption vs people who died getting tangled in their bedsheets... how on earth was there 717 bedsheet tangling deaths in 2009?!?!?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
It was Alan Wills who was reported to be "The most dangerous man in archery", not Larry.
you know... when I wrote it I was thinking, "there's something just slightly wrong with that..." and thought it was just because I wasn't writing it in the middle of his name!! ;) but as I hadn't heard it since 2012 it had slipped from my memory!! ;)

Frenchy

Yes.....Mr. Priestman is his name :)

And maybe he can save AGB with their "program".....
He would never admit to that. but your correct.

Let cut out the crap that is 'the most dangerous man in archery' Looks a little overweight to me.

Ar-Pe-Lo

He would never admit to that. but your correct.

Let cut out the crap that is 'the most dangerous man in archery' Looks a little overweight to me.
If you read what Bimble wrote, you would know he was mistaken...... "the most dangerous man in archery" was always "Danger" Alan (Wills), not Larry.

ieuan_johns

I could point out that causation does not equal correlation... though Spurious Correlations does it much funnier!! After all, Patrick is a junior world champion/70m junior world record holder/indoor world cup winner, Larry Godfrey is 'The Most Dangerous Man In Archery', three time Olympian, world championship bronze medalist, world cup winner. There is proven talent in the team.

my favourite is cheese consumption vs people who died getting tangled in their bedsheets... how on earth was there 717 bedsheet tangling deaths in 2009?!?!?
Cheese before bedtime nightmares mate. Obv.