Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Discuss Thinning Shooting lines at the General Archery Discussion & News within Archery Interchange Forums; I think there is a psychological mind set to it as well. the 6 dozen ...
    Thanks
    I think there is a psychological mind set to it as well. the 6 dozen at 100yds on a York is there to break you. The small target on the FITA is there to frustrate, and the shooting in 3 arrow ends (where it still happens) is meant to drain everything away.
    Kernowlad likes this.
    Longbows, the real bows.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.

Thanks
    This year I decided to enter a couple of competitions (After 3 years of part time/social archery only) tbh I found the three entered were long drawn out affairs taking way too long to shoot the required of arrows at the various distances. Had it not been the fact that our club archers seem to treat these shoots as a club "night" & we all enter, bring other non competing members as cheerleaders I think I'd have been bored beyond belief.
    loosing six arrows over the allocated two minutes multiplied twice & the fact that nobody seems to be actually timing any of this (why is it always the compounders last off the line, is it really so difficult using telescopic sights to hit the bit in the middle-sorry-rant over)
    I was asked to try a 1440 event shot over a weekend. What's that about? Starting at 10am finishing around 6pm x2, that's not my idea of a fun filled weekend-sorry.
    Also, being a "modern grandparent" what's a weekend without a visit from one branch of the tribe or other, two days off so I can play at being Robin Hood just doesn't go down well with the mini monsters (father of two, step daughter & seven grandchildren)
    Really going out on a limb here, but what about online competition? Shoot at home while competing in another clubs competition. Pay the fee, set up the bosses & off you trot. This isn't new, look online this is being done in Australia every weekend, every end is timed to the second & just needs one member of your club to ensure fair play. Too much perhaps? &

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It took me about six months to get to shooting York and Fita rounds( fita being the full 12 dozen.) Because the others in the club were shooting those rounds, I just fell in with them and it felt normal. Shooting those rounds at competitions away from home felt normal ,too, because that's all I knew.
    Two club changes later( brought about by circumstances outside my control) and I now shoot only at the home club. I only shoot when I feel like it, and bad weather doesn't fit in with my ideas of fun anymore.
    The club where I now shoot is nothing like the one I joined as a beginner. I am nothing like the beginner who started shooting 35 years ago. I've changed and the routines of the clubs have gone some way to making those changes in me. Archery is changing, as far as I can see. I have taken part in competitions shot at home and scores collated against clubs all over the country. They seem artificial as you never see the opposition.
    I still love my archery; I still love my toys( my car and my workshop machines)
    It's not until I put this in print and read it that I notice the changes..... I'm still in my thirties till I have a shave and see an old bloke( granda) in the mirror looking through the foam at me.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It took me about six months to get to shooting York and Fita rounds( fita being the full 12 dozen.) Because the others in the club were shooting those rounds, I just fell in with them and it felt normal. Shooting those rounds at competitions away from home felt normal ,too, because that's all I knew.
    Two club changes later( brought about by circumstances outside my control) and I now shoot only at the home club. I only shoot when I feel like it, and bad weather doesn't fit in with my ideas of fun anymore.
    The club where I now shoot is nothing like the one I joined as a beginner. I am nothing like the beginner who started shooting 35 years ago. I've changed and the routines of the clubs have gone some way to making those changes in me. Archery is changing, as far as I can see. I have taken part in competitions shot at home and scores collated against clubs all over the country. They seem artificial as you never see the opposition.
    I still love my archery; I still love my toys( my car and my workshop machines)
    It's not until I put this in print and read it that I notice the changes..... I'm still in my thirties till I have a shave and see an old bloke( granda) in the mirror looking through the foam at me.

In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nice post Geoff!
    Any particular cars? A big passion of mine too.
    Currently an oldish (2006) Subaru Outback as a local beater/Coastguard machine, a 2014 BMW M135i for under the radar speed and distance travel and our 2016 VW T6 California (204 4motion) for camper fun. It's also a great archery support vehicle (you can make tea and coffee in it)!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cars!
    I belong to the generation that hoped some day to own a car. When my parents bought one I was the first to learn to drive and we went off for a " run in the car" at weekends. It was a regular weekend treat and that feeling has never left me.( I treat myself and my wife to a run in the car almost every day) I love trying to drive better; in the same way I try to shoot better every time I shoot. I think I'm on car number 36 at present. I started with a morris 1000 van and gradually worked up to bigger cars ending with Audi 100 and A4 2.6 v6. I say "ending" in the sense that I stopped going for bigger cars and learnt that a Ford Focus could be just as good to drive as the Audi.
    Best drive train car was my last one a BMW 120D 8 speed auto. That was superb as far as getting up to speed( I never go above the speed limit so I can relax ,knowing I don't have to look out for speed cameras.) The seats didn't suit me nor the horrid run flats and changed it within a year to my current Audi A3 TDI. Just upgraded the rear anti roll bar and now it is both comfy and nimble on bends, quiet, and fast enough for my capabilities.
    I guess the M135i is about as fast as most things out on the roads. I would love to take that for a test drive, but in reality, I doubt it would suit us as stiff suspension really hurts my wife's joints as she suffers badly with arthritis, and my back would complain,too.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast