CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Discuss Thinning Shooting lines at the General Archery Discussion & News within Archery Interchange Forums; Cars! I belong to the generation that hoped some day to own a car. When ...
    It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cars!
    I belong to the generation that hoped some day to own a car. When my parents bought one I was the first to learn to drive and we went off for a " run in the car" at weekends. It was a regular weekend treat and that feeling has never left me.( I treat myself and my wife to a run in the car almost every day) I love trying to drive better; in the same way I try to shoot better every time I shoot. I think I'm on car number 36 at present. I started with a morris 1000 van and gradually worked up to bigger cars ending with Audi 100 and A4 2.6 v6. I say "ending" in the sense that I stopped going for bigger cars and learnt that a Ford Focus could be just as good to drive as the Audi.
    Best drive train car was my last one a BMW 120D 8 speed auto. That was superb as far as getting up to speed( I never go above the speed limit so I can relax ,knowing I don't have to look out for speed cameras.) The seats didn't suit me nor the horrid run flats and changed it within a year to my current Audi A3 TDI. Just upgraded the rear anti roll bar and now it is both comfy and nimble on bends, quiet, and fast enough for my capabilities.
    I guess the M135i is about as fast as most things out on the roads. I would love to take that for a test drive, but in reality, I doubt it would suit us as stiff suspension really hurts my wife's joints as she suffers badly with arthritis, and my back would complain,too.

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianms View Post
    Really going out on a limb here, but what about online competition? Shoot at home while competing in another clubs competition. Pay the fee, set up the bosses & off you trot. This isn't new, look online this is being done in Australia every weekend, every end is timed to the second & just needs one member of your club to ensure fair play. Too much perhaps? &
    Well, if you want it to be a fair competition I hope you can guarantee the weather will be the same at all venues?? Otherwise there are shoots that have multiple venues but a combined results sheet. We even run one here on this forum (the AIUK Ironman - which is outdoors and so has had venues with perfect shooting weather & those with gale force winds, at the same time). Subsequently this type of shoot is usually only conducted at indoor venues. Admittedly, prize giving can be a bit tricky.

And as always, if you think that multi-club online competitions is something that should work, nothing stopping you from trying to run one and seeing how it goes...
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

It's an X AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    duplicate posting
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bimble View Post
    Well, if you want it to be a fair competition I hope you can guarantee the weather will be the same at all venues?? Otherwise there are shoots that have multiple venues but a combined results sheet. We even run one here on this forum (the AIUK Ironman - which is outdoors and so has had venues with perfect shooting weather & those with gale force winds, at the same time). Subsequently this type of shoot is usually only conducted at indoor venues. Admittedly, prize giving can be a bit tricky.

And as always, if you think that multi-club online competitions is something that should work, nothing stopping you from trying to run one and seeing how it goes...
    We do this in NZ too. Summer postal league, winter postal league and another couple of shoots that must be shot on the same day, but at your own clubs across the country. With the league, you have a month to shoot it and if you get bad weather on the day you pick - well, harden up, buttercup

Not quite understanding the complaints about the use of spotting scopes making the shoot longer. Aren't those events timed? We have crossbowers and scopeless archers taking up just as much time as the folks checking every arrow.

Sent from my SM-A310Y using Tapatalk

In the Red AIUK subscriber. Kernowlad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffretired View Post
    Cars!
    I belong to the generation that hoped some day to own a car. When my parents bought one I was the first to learn to drive and we went off for a " run in the car" at weekends. It was a regular weekend treat and that feeling has never left me.( I treat myself and my wife to a run in the car almost every day) I love trying to drive better; in the same way I try to shoot better every time I shoot. I think I'm on car number 36 at present. I started with a morris 1000 van and gradually worked up to bigger cars ending with Audi 100 and A4 2.6 v6. I say "ending" in the sense that I stopped going for bigger cars and learnt that a Ford Focus could be just as good to drive as the Audi.
    Best drive train car was my last one a BMW 120D 8 speed auto. That was superb as far as getting up to speed( I never go above the speed limit so I can relax ,knowing I don't have to look out for speed cameras.) The seats didn't suit me nor the horrid run flats and changed it within a year to my current Audi A3 TDI. Just upgraded the rear anti roll bar and now it is both comfy and nimble on bends, quiet, and fast enough for my capabilities.
    I guess the M135i is about as fast as most things out on the roads. I would love to take that for a test drive, but in reality, I doubt it would suit us as stiff suspension really hurts my wife's joints as she suffers badly with arthritis, and my back would complain,too.
    Yep ours is the 8 speed auto too - sounds like a racing car as it guns up the gears, popping on each upchange!
    The ride is actually very good - better than most hot hatches. We drove to Germany in it and it was very comfortable but also performed very well at Bedford Autodrome. The only weak link was me, the driver!
    It's 320bhp (most put out a fair bit more) timed at 4.6s to 60 and 10.9s to 100 by Autocar; so definitely nippy. But 40mpg is possible if you drive it carefully.
    Mybo Origin

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I never thought I would say this, but I am really getting to like diesels. I am not a boy racer but the surge of power with so few revs always feels like the engine is capable of far more. Plus 60mpg on my normal runs off.30 road tax feels nice too.
    Your BM sounds very exciting. I tried a 125D with a leather interior and msport brakes. It didn't sound quite so smooth as mine; almost like the engine was not happy despite my being gentle with it.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast