Twin cam finger shooters compound bow

whitebuck

I've combed the manufacturers websites and can only find Dave Barnsdale offering a 2 cam bow for finger shooters.

I'm looking for draw weight peak 50# and draw length 29"

Anyone got any ideas?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think it would be difficult to find a compound bow that was specifically designed for finger shooters. As far as I am aware, compounds are made for release aid shooting.
I suppose some might make it easier on the fingers, those with long ATA for example.Do you have a reason for wanting twin cams, as opposed to any other types?

whitebuck

Until around 2005 there were probably as many finger shooters with compounds as release, also a good choice of twin cam bows, EFAA & NFAS both have 'Bowhunter Ltd', pins and fingers

GNAS only dropped Ltd from their divisions in 2007

Solo cam bows will never be as fast as twin cams, the downward reaction of solo cam bows will never be as stable as the forward reaction of a twin cam

There were many fine finger shooting bows in 2005, all the major manufacturers offered several, since the use of cheap solo cam designs has been market driven, mainly thanks mainly to Matt Mathews taking 8 page centre spreads in the archery magazines

As to compounds being made for release shooters, they are now but Holless Allen built them to shoot fingers when he invented it in 1969

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Whitebuck,
Solo cam bows will never be as fast as twin cams, the downward reaction of solo cam bows will never be as stable as the forward reaction of a twin cam
I think I half understand that. However, a twin cam has a backward rolling reaction, as do recurves. Could the single cam not cancel that if it has a downward reaction? I don't understand enough about what you have said, so have to pass for now.
As to compounds being made for release shooters, they are now but Holless Allen built them to shoot fingers when he invented it in 1969
When the invention was marketed, was it aimed at finger shooters because that's all there was at the time? Or did he decide to ignore release aids and make a deliberate attempt at a compound for finger shooters?
When you mention twin cams, do you exclude binary and hybrids? I'm not really clear as to what would make a compound better for finger shooting ,unless its about less finger pinch and long ATA, and possibly higher holding weight. What is it about the Barnsdale that gets it advertised as " for finger shooters ".

C

Compound10

I think you'll find there are many of the bows you seem to dislike being shoot off the fingers... I may be wrong but I think Stonecold is shooting a Mathews Monster off the fingers ... if you do a search on here there is s video of him shooting it.

As you probably know the compound market is primarily driven by the american hunting market and they are primarily release shooters. Oh and its Matt McPhearson not Matt Mathews

jerryRTD

The problem is not finger shooting, it's the twin cam part of your requirement that makers don't like these days. Difficulty in keeping the cams timed together has made most makers go to some kind of syncronisation system, be it cam and a half or binary or whatever.
Hoyt do the Vantage LTD for finger shooters. You might also have a look at the Bowtech Brigadier ( A twin cam binary bow) and the Martin Shadowcat.

stonecold

I think you'll find there are many of the bows you seem to dislike being shoot off the fingers... I may be wrong but I think Stonecold is shooting a Mathews Monster off the fingers ... if you do a search on here there is s video of him shooting it.

As you probably know the compound market is primarily driven by the american hunting market and they are primarily release shooters. Oh and its Matt McPhearson not Matt Mathews
Whitebuck

Ben is quite correct - I have shot many bows off fingers and still do in the Compound Limited class of the NFAS, current favourite being the Monster 7 - No issues with finger pinch due to the large cams making the ATA feel longer than specification.

Have a peek here - YouTube - g7pfv's Channel

You can shoot most things off fingers but the critical thing for me is brace height - anything less than 6.5" and I get inconsistent results, anything more is just fine.

I have a number of bows setup for finger shooting that your welcome to have a shoot with if you ever pass through the lake district :poulies:

whitebuck

stonecold ..... thanks for the input and the offers

I've reached a compromise I'm happy with, Dave Barnsdale is making me some new limbs for my Blue Mountain twin cam

Last edited: