What Kind Of Bow Does Robin Hood Use?

MacQuigley

Hi All,

This is my first post as a new member. Although Ive been a shooter most of my life, shooting airguns and firearms of all types Ive only recently got into archery, thanks to a couple of like minded pals at my local gun club.

We have taken to it like fish to water, though its far harder than what we are used to.

We have all now bought some kind of recurve bow and are expanding our collections almost daily (boys with toys - just like shooting).

We are all interested in getting some kind of more traditional bow, longbow etc and I fancy somethning like the bow used by Robin Hood in the current BBC serise. Can anyone tell me what kind of bow he uses and if its possible to buy something similar.

Bill

Ffish

Welcome to the madhouse!

The bow used by Robin Hood in the BBC series is (I think) either a Scythian or Hun bow. Whether it's historically accurate is another matter, but you can get them on Ebay from here He's a highly recommended seller and gives a very good service - I've not actually bought anything from him myself, but I know someone who has, and they highly rate his bows. Good postage service too.

I'm tempted to buy one, but I think I'll wait till I hit Bowman to reward myself first!

Et tu brute

I'd definitely recommend that seller that Ffish linked to, I bought a bow from him, brilliant service. I think the bow used in the current series is either a Hun bow or the Hungarian variant, IIRC it is the "extra II" version, which has horn inlay over the limbs, which is pretty expensive, around 500 Euro s, however you could just go for the base or extra I version for alot cheaper. This bow is similar to the one used in the series I think (though a different colour) Archery or this one Find HUNGARIAN RECURVE BOW GROZER EXTRA 1C +FELL (PELT) 40# on eBay within B?gen, Bogenschie?en, Weitere Sportarten, Sport (end time 06-Nov-07 19:25:02 GMT)

NeilM

I have two Grozer Hungarian bows, one is at 80 lbs and the other 35 lbs. Both are accurate and very enjoyable to shoot, but for general archery or a little bit of field competition, I would not go over 45 lbs.

MacQuigley

Im sure I found a website claiming to sell one the same, but I cant find it again. Thats the danger of browsing sites and not saving them.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
No its definitely a Saracen bow cos it says so on the BBC's website
Though that could just be the BBC calling it a Saracen bow, because he was suppose to have picked in up in The Middle East.

Hmmmm, wonder what sort of range you could get out of that.... :scratchch

Thunk

Ironman
Whatever you call it, it's apparently a bow that can shoot around corners!

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I'd definitely recommend that seller that Ffish linked to, I bought a bow from him, brilliant service. I think the bow used in the current series is either a Hun bow or the Hungarian variant, IIRC it is the "extra II" version, which has horn inlay over the limbs, which is pretty expensive, around 500 Euro s, however you could just go for the base or extra I version for alot cheaper. This bow is similar to the one used in the series I think (though a different colour) Archery or this one Find HUNGARIAN RECURVE BOW GROZER EXTRA 1C +FELL (PELT) 40# on eBay within B?gen, Bogenschie?en, Weitere Sportarten, Sport (end time 06-Nov-07 19:25:02 GMT)
yeah - the limb profile definitely looks like a grozer hungarian bow - either the extra 1C or one of these - Hungarian Grozer traditional recurve bow Extra 1 A with snakeskin, fishskin, fell, free shipping to all the world, cheep bows, cheep buy

slainte :cheerful: rob