World Masters Games 2017

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Auckland next April: 25,000 competitors & 28 sports incl archery. The archery looks like about 300 places (indoor, target, field), men and women: 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+. [FONT=brandontext_regular]
[/FONT]
Anyone from the UK going?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
if the target events are held at Auckland AC home ground, it's a lovely looking place!

mind the sheep!!

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
These fields look super: I've emailed them asking if I practice there. They're in the centre of Cornwall park. However it seems the archery venues are elsewhere:
Target will be elsewhere in Cornwall Park - at the northern end of the park, based in the Auckland Rugby League building (pic attached);
Indoor will be at the ASB Showgrounds - close by Cornwall Park;
Field will be at the Massey Archery Club - 20km west of Auckland

- - - Updated - - -

These fields look super: I've emailed them asking if I practice there. They're in the centre of Cornwall park. However it seems the archery venues are elsewhere:
Target will be elsewhere in Cornwall Park - at the northern end of the park, based in the Auckland Rugby League building (pic attached);
Indoor will be at the ASB Showgrounds - close by Cornwall Park;
Field will be at the Massey Archery Club - 20km west of Auckland

Attachments

robbie0312

Hi guys. I'm an ex pohm now living in NZ and will shooting at the World Masters Games in Target archery, both indoors and out. Look forward to seeing you there.

JohnK

Great to connect with you both :)

I'm arriving on April 15th, jetlagged to hell and gone no doubt. When I'm recovered, other than a visit to Hobbiton and a vineyard tour, getting some practice in is high on my list. So Senlac, do let us know what you hear back; and Robbie, any local knowledge would be appreciated :)

robbie0312

I used to live in Auckland and it can be warm and humid there however bring plenty of sunscreen as even on cloudy days the sun is really strong and you will get burned. Kiwis are usually friendly so you will have a great time and make friend and if you have the time try to get out of Auckland and see some of the real NZ. A drive down to Wellington across the desert road is a must as you get to see everything from Lake Taupo to the volcanoes. I just love it here.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Hi guys, so we've got TimidToad, JohnK, and euroglass going, and robbie0312 already there. Lookin' good!
I'll be arriving Tues 18-Apr with three days to get over jet lag before the opening ceremony on Fri 21st.
As I've never shot outside the UK I've been busy w/preps:
- bought an airline-proof bow box (SKB iSeries 4214);
- archery kit is ok sports baggage with Malaysian Airlines;
- checked NZ regs re archery kit: it looks just like the UK i.e. ok to import and carry kit around, but not strung/loaded in public space;
- shooting insurance (esp. 3rd party): not covered by AGB policy when outside the UK. So I've checked with my travel insurance (TrailFinders) and they've confirmed I'm covered.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
I've just heard back from David Medland-Slater, the President of Auckland Archery Club:
Hi Nick - an update from our club for you. I hope it helps
World Masters Games 2017 ? Auckland Archery Club
Dave

PS. Note that they're also asking if anyone would like to help set up the main WMG archery venues. So if you'd like to familiarise yourself with the competition fields, why not offer to help set them up!​

JohnK

Unfortunately, the last practice date is Friday 14th, well over a week before the competitions start, and the day before I arrive in Auckland :-/

I've emailed the club secretary to ask whether they might consider adding another practice day on the following Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
John,
thks for your PM. My reply has been rejected with the msg. "JohnK has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
Nick

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Just to let you all know that there may be 15 UK archers shooting at the WMG in Auckland.
I'm building a list so that we can meet-up for a few beers...
PM me if you're interested in more details.

robbie0312

Hi all archers on here going to the WMG. Less than four weeks to go. Hope all of you have had a chance to practice for the 720. See you all there and hope the traffic in Auckland is not too bad as its been crap lately.