The youngest and oldest olympic recurve archer?

hollowpoint

Just wondering who is the youngest and who is the oldest recurve archer in the olympic history? How old when they participate in the olympic games? Got any idea guys?:)

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
Just wondering who is the youngest and who is the oldest recurve archer in the olympic history? How old when they participate in the olympic games? Got any idea guys?:)
Certainly the youngest medalist from the UK (I think) was Lottie Dod who won the Silver medal for Archery in 1908 at the age of 15. Interestingly she was a descendant of the commander of English Archers at Agincourt and her father Willie Dod celebrated his 41st birthday with a Gold medal for archery.

Possibly the oldest was Butch Johnson from the US who competed in the 2004 Athens Olympics aged 48.

hollowpoint

thanks for the info guys!
i wish i had taken my first archery course at 14 or 15!:crackup: and now, my only hope is to become the oldest olympic archer at the age of 49!:blush:

Allvyn

thanks for the info guys!
i wish i had taken my first archery course at 14 or 15!:crackup: and now, my only hope is to become the oldest olympic archer at the age of 49!:blush:
Its never too late to start archery, it isn't as stressful as other sports like football which most won't be able to play well once hitting the 40 mark. Archery is for everyone. :eek:ptimist:

hollowpoint

Its never too late to start archery, it isn't as stressful as other sports like football which most won't be able to play well once hitting the 40 mark. Archery is for everyone. :eek:ptimist:
Yes Allvyn, that's what i thought too and i love it very much!

stuart

I'm not certain but wasn't Ed Eliason still representing USA well into his sixties? Almost certain he made the olympics too.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Butch Johnson has now qualified for his fifth straight Olympics. He'll turn 53 in August.

Congratulations to him of course - it's a great achievement and it keeps the daydreams of us crocks alive, but it's a bit of a sad comment on the state of Olympic-style archery in the USA, isn't it? There should be a flood of younger contenders coming through from Ki Sik Lee's programme, yet oldies like Johnson and 32-year-old Vic Wunderle are in again.

sp220

Wasn't david barnes in the olympics from age 13???

Pretty sure I read that on the Hoyt website somewhere... not certain though...

sp220

Butch Johnson has now qualified for his fifth straight Olympics. He'll turn 53 in August.

Congratulations to him of course - it's a great achievement and it keeps the daydreams of us crocks alive, but it's a bit of a sad comment on the state of Olympic-style archery in the USA, isn't it? There should be a flood of younger contenders coming through from Ki Sik Lee's programme, yet oldies like Johnson and 32-year-old Vic Wunderle are in again.
There are some younger american recurve archers up and coming.

Many have video journals on youtube

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
There are some younger american recurve archers up and coming.

Many have video journals on youtube
True, and 19-year-old Brady Ellison won the men's trials. But it's striking that a 52-year-old can still beat the vast majority of younger contenders. It suggests to me that Ki Sik Lee isn't having the impact he should be having.

sp220

Hmmm

It's an interesting topic...

A younger archer may be fitter, faster, stronger etc... even have better skill... but all that can be learned or gained...

Experience is something only time can bring, and I imagine the pressure of international competition brings an anxiety that only experience can abate or dilute...

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
I'll be 59 when I qualify for the British Team to shoot in the 2012 Olympics in London.
I was just about to say that OB! Shooting a Merlin with X7's maybe?

And SP will be holding the gold.......................... medal polish for you.