Bow Weight

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Hello All

I am new to this particular forum so dipping my toe in...Just curious, for you that shoot traditional hunter type recurves what bow poundages are you shooting in order to get decent results in the field?

robtattoo

It's not down to the weight of the bow. You could get good scores with any weight, as long as you know your aim points, gaps ------(insert prefered aiming method here) Personally, all my field bows are around 60-70# but that's just because I'm a big guy & feel more stable & comfortable with a heavy bow. My wife consistently gets scores around mine & she shoots 30#. It's all about knowing your own bow. Too many people seem to get hung up on draw-weight for field shooting. Find a draw-weight that you find comfortable & then just learn how to use it :)
Hope this helps mate!

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Hi Brian

I'm not sure either that bow weight is a big deal - It's not as if you have to make a kill, so power is really only related to clearance in the event of overhanging foliage I think. On the two occasions I've shot a field round, I never had a problem with 36# modern carbon limbs, so with a trad bowI'd have to guess but I'd say 42#+ or an arrow speed of 200fps+ should be sufficient for most situations? I suppose it depends on how "trad" you want to go with materials (e.g. arrow and string materials?)

Macbow

Most of the folks I shoot field with are using trad recurves in the 35-45 range. Flatbow 40-47 with the average being 45. The latest carbon limbs (no glass) on the new Border bows give more peformance for less draw weight which seems to be the way to go IMO.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Well I am just thinking Hunting Tackle. I have a few old traditional hunting recurves I would like to give an airing. Wood arrows (I can hear them snapping now:( ). Really I was just wondering what sort of artillery is being used ? My bows run from 40# -50#. Thanks all for the info any more would be appreciated. By the way Murray I have an extra bow if you are interested sometime. ;)

Raedwald

My Martin X-200 is 35# and will happily reach the relevant distances.

I've even managed a reasonable overshoot on the 80 yarder...........