Field Archery - Daylight hours

Neil M

Being in my first year of archery, I was wandering what field archers do for practice in the winter season?

Over summer I could shoot at least one evening in the week as well as a session at weekends, but now it's dark when I get home from work. Just going out at the weekend doesn't feel like regular enough practice.

Riceburner

Being in my first year of archery, I was wandering what field archers do for practice in the winter season?

Over summer I could shoot at least one evening in the week as well as a session at weekends, but now it's dark when I get home from work. Just going out at the weekend doesn't feel like regular enough practice.
I shoot indoors once a week in the evening with an AGB club, tonight actually! (tis the main reason I maintain an AGB Independant membership), then try to get outside every other weekend or so - there's still plenty of opens and friendlies going on.

(I would shoot every weekend, but I like to spend time with the wife occasionally...... ;) )

D

Deleted member 7654

Practice? Sorry, don't understand the concept ;)
Del

BillM

In my case, I can effectively go anytime. My usual weekday companion is just off across the pond for a month but when he returns we try get out once a week. At other times I shoot indoors with my target club on a Saturday morning and twice during the week from 0700-0900 (off peak so cheap). I get out to the field course most Sundays or Saturday afternoon if my other regular buddy is working Sundays. We also have a winter field league fixture at regular intervals and that attracts a few more.

BillM

Neil M

So it seems the trick is to join a target club (another beginner's course!) or work on vastly improving my OH's salary!

Riceburner

So it seems the trick is to join a target club (another beginner's course!) or work on vastly improving my OH's salary!
you shouldn't need to do a beginner's course.... Just prove you can shoot safely and you know the shooting etiquette.

salcey_bowman

We have several target archers who are members at our Field Archery club who joined us as they are fed up with having to shoot indoors in the darker winter months, so it works both ways round. :jekyll-hy

Simon Banks

I do my clubs course every Sunday morning and Wednesday Lunchtime I am lucky in that I work from home and the my home clubs course is less than 20 mins away so its doable in a long lunch break.

Still not enough practice though.. Trying to take Geoff's advice and concentrate on quality and not quanitiy though.. Easier said than done!