Field Target in Yorkshire

robtattoo

I was just wondering if there are any Field clubs in North/East Yorkshire. I'm looking for somewhere I can try my hand at field archery, without having to join the club beforehand. Is this possible at all?

Field Archer

I can find two listed for North/East Yorkshire
Regent - Venue: Bridlington, East Yorks
Stonebow Field Archers - Venue: Thirsk/ Northallerton, N. Yorks

Two others in West Yorshire
Aire & Wharfdale Archers - Venue: Ilkey, West Yorkshire
Riggwelter Field Archers - Venue: nr Otley, West Yorkshire

robtattoo

I saw that Regent were fairly local, but I can find no other reference to the club, ie. contact details etc... I also noticed that Hull Kingston Archers were listed as a NFAS club. I'll try giving their secretary a ring for some more info. Thanks for the help guys! :)

Field Archer

Swaledale said:
Bet you're going to the 3D champs FA! My boss says I've got to work......
I'm self employed???
Tell yourself/boss, that you need a break, you will work a lot better afterwards. ;)

The 3Ds entry form arrived yesterday, it was back in the post the same day. I wouldn't like to miss getting in, I've got to take the trophy back anyway.
Good to see that Severn Valley are laying the courses this year, I went to their shoot last week-end, it's always a good day out.

Field Archer

The 3ds champs will be in Churchill Woods, a few miles east of Worcester.

Because of the way targets are layed out, for safety reasons, it's not usualy possible to have spectators.

JohnK

Field Archer said:
The 3ds champs will be in Churchill Woods, a few miles east of Worcester.
Really?

Perhaps I should get around to joining NFAS before then. :D

EDIT - hang on, they'll only let you shoot if you've gone to a minimum number of previous field shoots and can provide proof. Bit mean spirited to say the least.

Field Archer

JohnK said:
Really?

Perhaps I should get around to joining NFAS before then. :D

EDIT - hang on, they'll only let you shoot if you've gone to a minimum number of previous field shoots and can provide proof. Bit mean spirited to say the least.
I remember when I wanted to shoot in the champs in my first year of field, having to fit in six shoots in a short space of time. I have since been told that if your (NFAS) club secretary sends the organiser a letter saying that they believe that you are competent to shoot, they will let you.

JohnK

Field Archer said:
I remember when I wanted to shoot in the champs in my first year of field, having to fit in six shoots in a short space of time. I have since been told that if your (NFAS) club secretary sends the organiser a letter saying that they believe that you are competent to shoot, they will let you.
That might be worth exploring. Thanks :)

JohnK

Field Archer said:
John, do you know Churchill Woods?
I don't, I'm afraid. Sorry about that.

I'm having a good hard think about this. I honestly don't think I can afford to get and set up a set of carbons to shoot with my Helix, and I'm loath to shoot my Navigators when I haven't much experience shooting a target rig on a field course. Perhaps I should set up the Intrepid for barebow and try that. The problem is finding the time.

Back to the 3D targets - is it similar to a US 3D shoot, where most of the targets are within 30 yards or so?

Field Archer

Unlike the IFAA, the NFAS does not have guidelines for placing 3D targets relative to their size. It is down to the club who sets the course as to the distances. Small targets, beavers, bobcats etc. are usually about 20 metres, 30 metres is an average distance for a medium sized target like a deer. Large targets like lion, moose, caribou and bison, a bit further, maybe 50 or 60 metres.

Some clubs put them out at much further distances, a lion at just under 80 metres a couple of weeks ago. The most popular clubs tend to keep the distance down and make the shot challenging by clever use of the land. I?m glad to say that SVYF are one of the latter, at their shoot last week-end, the furthest target was again a lion, around 40 ish metres, but it looked a lot further. :thumbsdow

SLOWHAND

I know that there is a 3d course at Pond Farm near Whitby, they have open shoots two or three times a year. Guisbrough Priory club will also be opening a field course some time this year. Contact Pete at a shop Guisbrough for the details.