FITA Field?

Desert Archer

I've been told FITA Field is not popular in GB as it is in the rest of Europe. The same source told me IFAA (comparable to our NFAA) is the popular field archery (target) game there.

I'm curious, both about if the above is true and if so, why it is that FITA Field isn't liked? Inquiring minds want to know...

Dave

JohnK

There certainly doesn't seem to be much in the way of FITA field over here Dave. As for the IFAA affiliated clubs, they're outnumbered by NFAS (National Field Archery Society) clubs.

I'm sure someone here knows the exact details, but basically some time back there was a split in the then field archery society in the UK. Those who were interested in international competition formed the IFAA affiliated groups, and the others formed the NFAS. NFAS shoots are all set at unmarked distances and all shot at either animal target faces, 3D targets or a combination of both. I think IFAA shoots are mostly shot at spots, but someone who is a member of both (like Field Archer, I believe) could tell you more.

I imagine the main reason why FITA field isn't popular is because we've had a strong, non-FITA affiliated field archery society, in one form or another, for so long.

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Most field archers I've talked to locally find FITA field a bit too much like target shooting. They prefer more draconian obstacles and angles than FITA field course rules allow.

Field Archer

Dave, I think JohnK has answered your question as well as anybody can.

FITA field in GB is actively followed by some very good archers, but the number of archers and shoots are small compared to the other two societies.

NFAS is by far the biggest, with several shoots in various locations most weekends. NFAS only shoot unmarked rounds, mainly big game or 3D.

IFAA, which I'm sure you are familiar with in the US with NFAA, is somewhere between the other two, shooting both marked and unmarked rounds on either spots, game, or 3D.

360plus

FITA Field in UK

FITA field is shot in the UK from early March through to mid-October, shoots are spread throughout England, Wales and Northern Ireland using many types of terrain from one very flat course, moderatley undulating venues to severe slopes in Wales and the Lake district. The diary for 2007 is filling with at this time at least 42 days of FITA field including 4 FITA world ranking tournaments. In 2008 the FITA World Field Championship is being held in South Wales.

Desert Archer

Very interesting 360plus. And if your handle means what I think it means...how do you get over 360? (LOL)

The situation described is not as different from what I see here in the US as I was lead to believe. What we call 3D (unmarked animal targets) is the dominant game to the bowhunter driven archery world in the States. NFAA/IFAA is still around but slowly dying (much to my great personal disappointment). FITA Field is almost un-heard of. Currently there are only 3 or 4 FITA Field shoots in the county a year. A FITA (target) club I belong to has asked me to start a FITA Field shoot for them which would make two in our state (Arizona) each year. I believe that would make us lead the nation in FITA Field.

As for
They prefer more draconian obstacles and angles than FITA field course rules allow.
I have no idea what you are talking about. One of the hallmarks of FITA Field is difficult to nearly impossible target placement and shooting positions. I've shot a number of 3D courses in the US that didn't begin to approach the difficulty factor of the average FITA Field course in Europe.

Thanks for the information everyone. Knowledge is power.

Dave

cuddles

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
fita field

The problem with shooting FITA Field, is that the courses are in the north or south. The middle of the country where it is flatter is the domain of EFAA.We do a field shoot in the midlands on a flat course,because that is all we have got. The course itself is run by an EFAA field club who could not be more helpfull, and make us welcome every year

timppa

I've been told FITA Field is not popular in GB as it is in the rest of Europe. The same source told me IFAA (comparable to our NFAA) is the popular field archery (target) game there.
Same in Finland. We have two FITA Field tournaments 2007 and six IFAA Field tournaments.

Desert Archer

We have two FITA Field tournaments 2007 and six IFAA Field tournaments.
I could live with that kind of schedule. (big smile) NFAA/IFAA is my first love, with FITA Field being my second. Having eight tourneys a year to shoot would be heaven for me. Right now, in the State of Arizona there is one (1) NFAA field championship and one (1) FITA Field championship. I tried to start a monthly NFAA field shoot but never got more than half a dozen shooters (all compound by the way) to participate. My effort to revive field has died for lack of participation. I'm going to try helping a FITA club start another FITA field shoot...keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Dave

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
As for I have no idea what you are talking about. One of the hallmarks of FITA Field is difficult to nearly impossible target placement and shooting positions. I've shot a number of 3D courses in the US that didn't begin to approach the difficulty factor of the average FITA Field course in Europe.
Just reporting what local field archers have said to me. I went to a field shoot at Riggwelter in October. They've been a NFAS club for years, but recently affiliated to the GNAS too. This was their first FITA field shoot. It seemed tough enough to me, but some of the long-term Riggwelter members were saying they'd had to make certain changes to meet the requirements of a record-status FITA shoot, and that the course was easier than it used to be.

Haywain

Personally I find Field shooting ridiculously easy. I can hit it every time almost without trying.
Well Done SLOWHAND. I wish every field shoot I went to was as easy as the one you seem to have shot at :cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful:

For most Field Archers, hitting the target aint the problem, scoring well on the target is.

SLOWHAND

Well Done SLOWHAND. I wish every field shoot I went to was as easy as the one you seem to have shot at :cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful:

For most Field Archers, hitting the target aint the problem, scoring well on the target is.
No, I meant that hitting the field was easy. I just pull back, let go, miss the boss and the arrow hits the field every time.

Raedwald

:rotfl:

Aim higher like me, that way you worry the trees more :cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful:
One of the "novelty" targets on our Christmas Shoot stated in the target instructions to "hit the tree".

Hitting trees isn't usually a problem on a field course..... :raspberry

Frommy

Desert Archer, Dave,

FITA field ratio to IFAA/ABA and 3DAAA is about the same in Australia to what was reported in the UK. Although IFAA/ABA is in a bit of a decline, and 3DAAA is much stronger in some States than others.

Brian