I went down to the woods today

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
ive been shooting g target archery for going on 10 years now, but today I wandered into the woods. Ok, I went to the local Field archer club for a try. I'm hooked! I've always loved being in forests, but shooting arrows whilst being surrounded by the trees was just magic.
I did however feel a little conspicuous with my all carbon recurve, even without the sights and stabilisers. And my old ally arrows kept falling off the rest.

Ive decided therefore that I need a new bow (it's as good an excuse as any) but after an evening of reading the rules I'm astounded at the number of clasifications. I had approached this thinking I wanted a compound, but rather perversely I thing I've put that well down the list (unless that is I can get an oneida) So I turn to you fair people to help me through the bewilderment.

Perhaps one one or other of you could sum up the pros and cons of the various styles when shooting at a predominantly NFAS club.

Yours hopefully
Paul.

JohnK

It's addictive, isn't it? :)

Why not barebow? Fixed anchor point, no stringwalking, single stabiliser. You can simply strip down your current set up and give it a go. I love shooting NFAS barebow, and when Border finally come out with their 27in Tempest, I'm going to get one and use it for barebow field archery.

Have fun!

vmaxphil

I started with my target bow stripped down and ally arrows to learn the rules and course, now I have progressed to hunting tackle shooting an osprey, to cure the arrows falling of just cant the bow slightly.
Useing your target equipment at first will give you a chance to get used to the terrain as you know the bow less to think about

D

Deleted member 7654

Become the woods :) , make a primitive...
Del
PS. If you were a tad more specific about your locaion it would be useful. If you are close enough to visit, I'd let you try some primitives. Even a county would help.

BillM

I started field with my target recurve but later moved to horsebow due to several factors. With the recurve I was shooting off the red peg (WA Rules) and all the other regulars were off the blue peg which meant them waiting for me to shoot before they could. With the horsebow two of us can shoot at the peg together and it does speed things up. The horsebow is also lighter to carry, easier to navigate through the trees, and is much more fun than the recurve. Even though it draws about 50# compared to the 40# on my recurve it seems easier to shoot as you don't hold at full draw for long as you might with a recurve. It is more of a challenge as the recurve has a sight whereas the horsebow is either point of aim or instinctive. My recurve arrows are ACE and the horsebow's woodies. ACE's are about ?25 each but I can make up a set of woodies for less than ?5 each so breaking or losing a woodie is not as traumatic as losing an ACE. It also has the benefit that I can go to the field course anytime but a target range generally has to be booked and can be costly. My field course fees are ?20 per year so it makes a lot of sense.

Just enjoy the fact that you can walk through the trees (or rough terrain) and enjoy what nature throws at you. Trees also give a degree of protection from wind and rain that you don't get at a target range.

BillM

Beardy

The American
American Shoot
Hi Del,
I'm in the land of the Angles, living in Woodbridge. The woods I wandered into was Rendelsham Forrest and I was with the Oakwood Bowmen, whom I have now joined. I've got my NFAS application form all completed and ready to post.
I have to say that making a bow really appeals to me, so at some point a few tips would be most welcome.

D

Deleted member 7654

Hi Del,
I'm in the land of the Angles, living in Woodbridge. The woods I wandered into was Rendelsham Forrest and I was with the Oakwood Bowmen, whom I have now joined. I've got my NFAS application form all completed and ready to post.
I have to say that making a bow really appeals to me, so at some point a few tips would be most welcome.
Google Bowyers Diary, I blog everything I make on there from Hazel primitives to 130# warbow. If you are ever over towards Harlow you're welcome to pop in and play!
Del

AndyW

ive been shooting g target archery for going on 10 years now, but today I wandered into the woods. Ok, I went to the local Field archer club for a try. I'm hooked! I've always loved being in forests, but shooting arrows whilst being surrounded by the trees was just magic.
I did however feel a little conspicuous with my all carbon recurve, even without the sights and stabilisers. And my old ally arrows kept falling off the rest.

Ive decided therefore that I need a new bow (it's as good an excuse as any) but after an evening of reading the rules I'm astounded at the number of clasifications. I had approached this thinking I wanted a compound, but rather perversely I thing I've put that well down the list (unless that is I can get an oneida) So I turn to you fair people to help me through the bewilderment.

Perhaps one one or other of you could sum up the pros and cons of the various styles when shooting at a predominantly NFAS club.

Yours hopefully
Paul.
There tends to be a lot of help BB and HT at most clubs with compounds being a bit of a black hole on the help front.No one ever does but my advise would be to stick with what you've got for a few months and then you will have time to play and chat about other styles etc. In our club the sequence is usually a steady working through three bows over about a year before settling on a style.

big-bill3

Beardy, I'm in Woodbridge UK also, and I'm looking at trying shooting in the woods. Perhaps we should meet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk