Long draw length field bow

Chrisfr

I've been shooting a Bucktrail BlackHawk 68" bow for a year now and want to upgrade and find a take down recurve field bow. The issue I'm finding is finding one that can cope with my drawn length of 32".
Can anyone please give me some suggestions ad advice on possible bow suggestions. For the moment it looks like I need to find a minimum of an 68" bow, but I'm struggling to find any.....

Any advice much appreciated....

bobnewboy

I've been shooting a Bucktrail BlackHawk 68" bow for a year now and want to upgrade and find a take down recurve field bow. The issue I'm finding is finding one that can cope with my drawn length of 32".
Can anyone please give me some suggestions ad advice on possible bow suggestions. For the moment it looks like I need to find a minimum of an 68" bow, but I'm struggling to find any.....

Any advice much appreciated....
I would suggest a KG Archery Osprey bow. Max draw length is 32 inches. I have the original version - I was shooting it today in fact - but there is now a carbon limbed version which may be even better. Great performance for the price. However, are you sure of your draw length? I only ask because often people over estimate it.

Br/Bob

Chrisfr

I would suggest a KG Archery Osprey bow. Max draw length is 32 inches. I have the original version - I was shooting it today in fact - but there is now a carbon limbed version which may be even better. Great performance for the price. However, are you sure of your draw length? I only ask because often people over estimate it.

Br/Bob
Thanks for the suggestion, it's a lovely looking bow. Unfortunately as a said in the first post I'm really looking for a take down style bow for ease of transport.

Regarding my draw length I shoot with 32" arrows so I'm only a little bit under that.

Thank you

JohnK

Border generally recommend that you go by limb length, rather than overall bow length, when choosing the right size bow for your draw.

For example, a Swedish archer I know who has a 32in draw used to shoot a 68in Black Douglas, comprising a 21in riser with XL HEXV limbs. I've shot this bow (I have a similar draw) and it behaved beautifully.

The same archer upgraded to a 66in Covert Hunter, with a 19in riser and XL limbs. I've shot that one too, and it was incredible, if a bit heavy for me.

So, my advice would be to talk to a bowyer who makes XL limbs - Border is one - and go from there.

Chrisfr

Border generally recommend that you go by limb length, rather than overall bow length, when choosing the right size bow for your draw.

For example, a Swedish archer I know who has a 32in draw used to shoot a 68in Black Douglas, comprising a 21in riser with XL HEXV limbs. I've shot this bow (I have a similar draw) and it behaved beautifully.

The same archer upgraded to a 66in Covert Hunter, with a 19in riser and XL limbs. I've shot that one too, and it was incredible, if a bit heavy for me.

So, my advice would be to talk to a bowyer who makes XL limbs - Border is one - and go from there.
Thank you for the advice JohnK. With the sets ups your shot, are they off the shelf or with a button and rest? I'd like to find a set up with out using a button.. Have you got a website link for the XK HEXV limbs I've tried googling with out success....
Many thanks

JohnK

The BD and CH I shot were off the shelf. You can have them drilled for a button and rest if you want, but that's extra.

Border HEXV limbs were discontinued a little while ago, although they do pop up second hand now and then. The Black Douglas is available with the HEX6 range of limbs, and the Covert Hunter is sold with the HEX7 and 7.5 limbs.

For info on Border products, see:

Website (not that up to date): Target
FB: https://www.facebook.com/BorderArchery/?fref=ts
Or the Border section on this forum :)

Or drop them an email. Bear in mind, they're on a Christmas break :)

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour

My draw length is around 31" and I shoot a 19" riser with border xl limbs. It makes a nice bow for my draw length that's not too unwieldy in the woods.

Chrisfr

My draw length is around 31" and I shoot a 19" riser with border xl limbs. It makes a nice bow for my draw length that's not too unwieldy in the woods.
OK I'll have a look into the Border XL limbs and a 21" riser... Do you shoot off the shelf or with a rest?

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use a button and rest but a lot of short risers can be shot off the shelf if that's your thing.

As a side comment I think that a short riser should be selected for sight window size as much as anything else. Get one too small and you can't see the targets. Get one too big and it leaves you without references to judge your aim. That's just a personal opinion though.

Chrisfr

Some one has suggested a Hoyt Tiburon 64". Has anyone any experience with this shooting at a long draw? I've also seen on the Lancaster Archery review of the Tiburon that the Formula Limbs exist in a long length to make up a 68" bow...

Any thoughts?

English Bowman

Some one has suggested a Hoyt Tiburon 64". Has anyone any experience with this shooting at a long draw? I've also seen on the Lancaster Archery review of the Tiburon that the Formula Limbs exist in a long length to make up a 68" bow...

Any thoughts?
One of our club members bought one, it had a twisted riser, so they took it back to the dealer, all of the risers that they had in stock were twisted so they got a refund and spent it on a Bearpaw. I wouldn't touch the Hoyt after seeing a whole batch of twisted risers/

Chrisfr

i think I may have found a suitable riser. The Wild Mountain ILF Riser in a 21" with a pair of 70" limbs should give me a bow length of around 66"....
Any opinions on that set up?