NFAS Rounds which do u want

Devon_Archer

Since the September champs went all big game on us, we seem to be fixated on Big Game rounds

OK we have the odd round of Woodsman (shoot to you kill)

and we do a lot of bonus targets where you can choose the easy (ish) option or go for the harder shot and more points but risk less points if you miss

But would you like a bit more variety and go back a bit and shoot some spot rounds (no not them black and white FITA ones)

Forresters ? Swedish ones or any nationality welcome ?

Or any suggestions for a different sort of round ?

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
I must admit that I used to like the forester rounds.

I can't remember the last time anyone put on a forester shoot ? I know it takes one of the variables out. Like OB said in his blog, he was getting first arrow kills, on big game, but could not remember where the inner kill was. I'm the same, first arrow hits all round, but can't remember the kills. That nice spot in the forester makes it simpler. Plus the first time I won the sheriff of Lincoln silver arrow as a junior in 73 was a forester, and again when I won it as an adult a few years later, so I have the reminder of happy days too.

Old Bloke

Hmmm..an interesting question Ian! Over the years, as styles in the NFAS changed and more became *traditional* orientated, the spot round (foresters) started to get shelved simply because those traditional archers couldn't hit a spot. A sweeping statement I know, but it is one which I have held since the inception of the NFAS in 1972 after hearing many complaints about the old BFAA spot rounds or classification rounds as they were known. Another reason given for the dropping of the spot round was that archers made fun of the fact that they could score a 5 or even a 10 whilst not actually hitting the animal which was wholey within the scoring zones. What these archers was missing was that with a roundle scoring zone, your were judged on the ability to judge distance but also to shoot a line over terrain. It is a fact that on some of the big game targets, which includes 3D, that in distance you could only be a meter out and yet miss the animal, but on the same animal be two meters out, miss the line but still stick the arrow in it's bum and score and be two foot from the centre of the animal/face. So who was the better shot? The worst face I have seen in field archery are the Bjorn Bengston coloured animal which is used in the GNAS National Animal round..they do not truely test the skill of a field archer but allow both mistakes in distance judgement and cross terrian misjudgement to be rewarded as most of the faces are stretched lengthways across the corners of the target. Absolute rubbish and no thought given as to what field archery is all about!

If a spot round was brought back then have a full face animal, but have a wound line around the animal but then have concentric rings within the wound line. By doing this it would be fair for everyone and as such the field archers true skill would be rewarded.

As far as 3D's are concerned...for christ sake, just paint the pro zone white..then it would be fair for every archer of whatever style of class and a level playing field would be created FOR ALL ARCHERS. The crib cards would not be necessary and as such no advantage would be given to any archer unlike at the present when they can use the crib cards or are familiar with the 3D's. I feel as though a lot needs changing with the 3D's to make the round fair for all who shoot them. At present they are anything but..and in competition..that is simply *not on*.

Raedwald

First round I ever shot was (I now know) an East Midlands Round. OK, so a variant on Big Game, but still, it's a variant....

Devon_Archer

East Midland is a round i like

3 pegs 10 for a kill 5 for a wound

my problem when shooting that is how i get a kill kill then a wound :bang: it does make you work for consistancy though

Dave, the reason for asking is I am getting a bit bored with big game, need to shoot something different, and we will be putting on more shoots later in the year as well as our August 2 day, and looking for feedback

even from a course setting perspective, it can be a lot more fun setting a different round and thinking about more angles and shots to place

Eaglearcher

Just to let you know that the Forester round is alive and well in the EFAA.
The origonal Saunders faces are no longer available (thats the ones where you could score without hitting the animal).
To continue being able to use the round, new faces had to be found. The EFAA now use the Bjorn Bengston faces. The old faces came in 4 sizes 24 inch, 18 inch,12 inch and 6 inch and they had three circular scoring zones, 5 points for the outer, 10 points for the middle and 15 points for the inner or spot. By a fortunate coincidence the Bjorn faces come in four sizes and the circular kill zones are the same sizes as the middle ring of the old Forester faces. All we do is stick a self adhesive vinyl spot, the same size as the old spot on the Saunders face, in the middle of the ring and we have a Forester face. 5 points for an arrow inside the wound line. 10 points for the kill and 15 points for the spot.
This round has become very popular and so has the 3D Forester round.
With this round it is shot exactly the same way as the Forester but 3D targets are used, 5 points for a wound, 10 points for a kill and 15 points for the inner kill. Often if a club put on a Big Game round, attendence could be low because many archers would say that they dont want to travel just to shoot 28 arrows. These rounds guarantee 70 shots and usually a better turnout at the shoot.

Old Bloke

Maybe it is about time that the IFAA/EFAA got going within the South West?
Sounds like I'm missing out on some good rounds. :loser:

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
Maybe it is about time that the IFAA/EFAA got going within the South West?
Sounds like I'm missing out on some good rounds. :loser:
I keep telling people that OB. The EFAA rounds, especially marked distance, give precision shooting at a known distance, with the enjoyment of shooting in a course laid round the woods or heathland, just like an NFAS course. They also test the archers advance preparation. No using a spotting scope at 80 yds and saying "a bit low, oh well, I have 8 dozen to play with". 1 shot, set sight, shoot, next shot, 70yds, no second chances. And of course, the face, AND the spot are much smaller than on GNAS/FITA faces at the same range. I have to admit to stifling a chuckle when lawn archers try field and face the "Bunny" shot, they mess it up so often. I mean, how can you miss the spot at 35, 30, 25 and 20 feet walk-up shot???:bang:

The big game rounds are fun too. And surely no one can miss a big game on the marked round can they? Surely a perfect score is guaranteed?

At the Friskney field shoots, laid out like a lawn shoot, I see GNAS GMB's barely scrape EFAA A class. One would assume that a GMB(GNAS) would equate to a GFM in EFAA. A small group of us are working in the background to try and re-establish an EFAA course in the east midlands again. And OB will be invited to join us for any inaugural shoot, of course, if we succeed. :cheerful:

Old Bloke

It has been a long time since I last shot any EFAA, and the rounds have changed over the years. When you do get one up and running Phil, I'd love to have a go. A follower of EFAA down these parts has almost twisted my arm around my back to do some....so little time..so much to do..that is the problem.
Let me know when you have a shoot..I'll have a bash. Yet more sight marks! :tired:

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
It has been a long time since I last shot any EFAA, and the rounds have changed over the years. When you do get one up and running Phil, I'd love to have a go. A follower of EFAA down these parts has almost twisted my arm around my back to do some....so little time..so much to do..that is the problem.
Let me know when you have a shoot..I'll have a bash. Yet more sight marks! :tired:
Not changed much OB. The hunter and field rounds are the same, unless you still remember the old 5 & 3 scoring. The last classification I shot was a one off in about 92, as a "gear out of the shed, blow off the spiders, dust down the silver X7's". The only change was the new "Expert round", the X ring on field rounds was the high score, not the whole spot. Now that is "shooting a rat's eye out at 20 yards", Well, 10 to 80 yds.

Devon_Archer

As a club we have a problem, it is a good problem, we seem to be able to sell out all of our shoots now, weeks in advance, and we even have 127 booked in for August weekend and that is 5 months away still :raspberry

while that is great, it also means that to keep the quality of shoots getting better and better we are have been working on new targets and mechanismmmms for "different" targets since christmas :scratchch add onto that maybe planning something different again for an October shoot :idea::shhh:

and it just doesn't seem to allow us enough time to sort out an EFAA course, much as I have enjoyed shooting some EFAA, especially the un marked, not such a fan of the marked ones though, the fact that almost all EFAA courses are loads of miles from here, and attendance would be a lot lower as no courses has meant not a lot of EFAA members this way to fill them

besides we want to go and shoot other places as well

we have enough room and stuff to do one not just the time etc etc

But I am looking at some of the ideas from EFAA type rounds to see if we can incorporate some of the features into our rounds, so keep the input coming

Old Bloke

Silver X7's!!!???!!! Blimey! As rare as hens teeth...be worth a few bob on e-bay I reckon. Yes, when I last shot EFAA..it was 3 and 5. My, how things have changed?

It would be nice to buy some woods big enough to run all sorts of shoots..hmmm..one day..one day! :scratchch

Devon_Archer

the size of the woods isnt a problem here Dave, have you been to our woods ?

I like the idea of paper faces with an inner line between the wound and the kill not necessarily circular but concentric to the wound line

could make for some interesting results