New to field archery what bow?

DeciduousDan

My wife and I are going to take up field archery we have found a local club and had a lesson/introductory session. So the next thing to do is get some bows, what bow did you start with and would you recommend it? Cheers Dan

D

Deleted member 7654

My personal preference is longbow or primitive but there are some very good AFBs (American Flat Bow) at a good price that perform well.
It's probably a mistake to spend too much too early as your preference and ability will change.
I would avoid anything with sights, stabilisers, wheels etc... it's an added necessary complexity that weighs a ton and you'll have to drag it round all day.
Keep it simple and just enjoy yourselves.
Del
(I've always shot bows that I've made, longbow or primitive)

English Bowman

Hello Dan,
I'd complete a beginners' course and then go for the style of bow you like best. I'm with Del on having a preference for longbows, but I have friends who prefer compounds, recurves, AFBs. Those who shoot with sights and those who shoot without. I know that this isn't a straight answer, but the bow that suits you best is the style that you like best.
As to how I started I did a 6 week beginners' course using club equipment, and then when my parents could afford it I got a simple take down recurve. I shot that for 2 years before moving onto English Longbow. I've shot longbow ever since, but dabbled in all different styles.

D

Deleted member 7654

Hello Dan,
I'd complete a beginners' course and then go for the style of bow you like best. I'm with Del on having a preference for longbows, but I have friends who prefer compounds, recurves, AFBs. Those who shoot with sights and those who shoot without. I know that this isn't a straight answer, but the bow that suits you best is the style that you like best.
As to how I started I did a 6 week beginners' course using club equipment, and then when my parents could afford it I got a simple take down recurve. I shot that for 2 years before moving onto English Longbow. I've shot longbow ever since, but dabbled in all different styles.
I've told you about saying the "C" word ! ;)
Del

DeciduousDan

Course? I think I could buy a bow each for the wife and I for the money another 5 lessons each would cost! Though it would be a good way to try different types, and I am sure we would improve much faster then left to ourselves! However I am not in any hurry :) I do like the idea of more traditional bow types without all the gizmos, is it best to learn without a sight etc, like learning to drive manual before an automatic?

English Bowman

The cost depends on the club. Our club's course is a 6 week course, and costs ?4 per session. Each session is an hour and a half long. We cover all forms of archery and styles of shooting, with a demo of all the different bow types at the end of the course. As for improving faster if left to yourselves, with all due respect, I doubt it. I have seen many people who have taught themselves and then decided to join the club, and without exception there are basic problems in their form which are preventing them from shooting as well as they should. It takes longer to correct these ingrained habits than it does to teach the correct form in the first place. So from that point of view, it's best to join a club, not to mention the social and safety aspect.

DeciduousDan

Oh compound! Lol don't worry I don't like the look of them.
I ment that we would improve faster if we went on a course, as opposed to being left to ourselves. But our lesson was ?50 it was very good but not something that I can do often. And we are going to join the club everyone we saw there seemed friendly.

English Bowman

Oh compound! Lol don't worry I don't like the look of them.
I ment that we would improve faster if we went on a course, as opposed to being left to ourselves. But our lesson was ?50 it was very good but not something that I can do often. And we are going to join the club everyone we saw there seemed friendly.
It may be worth asking them what a course would cost, and if they offer a discount on membership if you do their course. I know of at least one club in our area who charge ?50 for a beginners' course, but reduce membership fees by ?50 if you join immediately after the course. If not try to find another club ?50 a lesson is the most expensive I've ever heard of. (As I said we charge ?4)

AndyW

OP. When you say field archery I'm assuming NFAS and so the lesson discussion is possibly a bit off. What generally happens is that you go along, use the club kit for a few weeks and have a go with someone showing you the ins and outs. If you want to call it a lesson ok but generally it's not that formal. Over the first few weeks you will get a feel for it and then at some point down the track when you are deemed ok to be let loose on a field course someone will get you signed off as a member of the NFAS. You will at some point err towards a particular bow / style or do what a lot of people do and shoot many. I wouldn't take too much notice of the bias which has been bandied about above wrt compounds/longbows/self bows - whatever - they all propel arrows towards targets and you will find which you prefer. The main thing is to have fun, meet new people and not take too much notice of the inevitable tutters who will point out every perceived fault (archery seems to attract them).
Again, as with styles if the NFAS is not for you try the misnamed Archery GB or EFAA for field they're all a bit different but I've only ever done NFAS.

English Bowman

I agree with Andy, find club near you, it doesn't matter what society, I'm Archery GB (GNAS) but any club will help. AGB clubs tend to have formal courses, but this is more a matter of what works for the club. We found that when we did one on one sessions like Andy talks about our instructors never found any time to coach improvers or shoot. So we work on courses, that way we know when we're teaching and when we're not.

You will find bias, but to be honest most of it is tongue in cheek. I know Del, and he has his preferences, but he is not as anti-technology as he makes out. (Sorry for letting the secret out there.) He makes good traditional bows and prefers to shoot them, but at the end of the day, we'll all archers and the vast majority of archers are friendly and willing to help all other archers, no matter what they shoot.

AndyW

English Bowman, Well put.
And my guilty secret is that I'm an avid reader of A Bowyers Diary. And Rob Jones' Off the Arrow Shelf ain't a bad read.
Don't tell anyone. I've got a gung ho bowhunter persona to maintain.

jon.lewis666

When you say "Field" archery do you actually mean field or is it 3D? Which ever it is, first make sure that what you buy fits the rules of what you want to shoot. After that, just make sure you're not over bowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyW

When you say "Field" archery do you actually mean field or is it 3D? Which ever it is, first make sure that what you buy fits the rules of what you want to shoot. After that, just make sure you're not over bowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's over bowed?:mischievo

jantar77

Supporter
Supporter
Sorry Del, believe me it hurt me as much to say (type) it as it did you to read it, but I have to acknowledge their existence or I can't convert people who shoot them into using "proper" bows.
I have big respect for trad archers but it really makes me a bit sad how few respect they often show to fellow archers who opted for "new technology". Guessing 50-ish meters distances downhill and hitting the target with olympic recurve is as much skill (and fun) as shooting in the field with longbow.

..is it best to learn without a sight etc, like learning to drive manual before an automatic?
No bow has automatic gearbox :) you have to pull them all manually. Shooting is pretty much same for all types of bows. Only aiming is different. I shoot everything from primitive instinctive to compound with release aid and I also teach people to shoot with them. Shooting recurve bow with sight is imho more difficult for beginners than shooting primitive bow however when you manage it you will be more precise especially over long distances.
Shooting longbow is like driving simple utility car in the field which can be fun. Shooting compound bow is like driving modern race car which can be fun as well. Both require driving skills and none is inherently making you better driver than the other.

D

Deleted member 7654

I have big respect for trad archers but it really makes me a bit sad how few respect they often show to fellow archers who opted for "new technology". Guessing 50-ish meters distances downhill and hitting the target with olympic recurve is as much skill (and fun) as shooting in the field with longbow.

No bow has automatic gearbox :) you have to pull them all manually. Shooting is pretty much same for all types of bows. Only aiming is different. I shoot everything from primitive instinctive to compound with release aid and I also teach people to shoot with them. Shooting recurve bow with sight is imho more difficult for beginners than shooting primitive bow however when you manage it you will be more precise especially over long distances.
Shooting longbow is like driving simple utility car in the field which can be fun. Shooting compound bow is like driving modern race car which can be fun as well. Both require driving skills and none is inherently making you better driver than the other.
Of course a compound has a gear box!
It's like a block and tackle giving at least 2:1 advantage, and then there is additional variable mechanical advantage from the cams.
I'm just finishing a 150# Warbow I couldn't brace or draw it without mechanical advantage of pulleys on my tiller rig.
Del (slaps furry head with paw)

AndyW

You've still got to pull the poundage Del. Once you get it over the hill fair enough there's advantage. I can pull 60lb whether it be trad bow or compound I just can't hold for minutes on a non mechanical advantage bow. I've seen a lot of snap shooters out there who can probably only hold their own bow at peak for a second.
Each to their own isn't it? I like being able to settle, if I were shooting recurve I doubt I could shoot much more than 35lb yet my friend shoots a 60lb compound and a 50lb Black Douglas. He's fit, I'm not. My recurve form at 40lb has been described as shaking like a sh***ing dog. Can't say they're wrong.