Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question

In the Green
    Thanks

Noob question

Been shooting target archery for a few months now but want to try a bit of field archery, there is a club fairly close to me. what tips can the collective give me ? I like the idea of using a traditional style bow for example, what would be a good entry level bow etc

Cheers
    Pete

Sent from my Gemini 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Do you already have a bow?

If you want to go traditional are you thinking longbow, flatbow or maybe horsebow?

Depending on the course your local club sets up then the three bow types have pro’s and con’s - if the course is heavily wooded then a longbow (usually around 72-75”) can be unwieldy and although a horsebow is much shorter so less likely to get caught up in foliage it can be a little tricky to string/unstrung until you’ve got the nack sorted.

Flatbows are a nice compromise bow if you are moving from recurve due to the arrow shelf mimicking a recurve rest rather than shooting from a gloved hand plus you can use aluminium arrows on them rather than only wood arrows on longbow & horsebow - these can be straightened too when they get a bend which they undoubtedly will from time to time - additionally they fall in between the other two bows for length.

As many field courses tend to keep targets within a 50yd max range then you don’t need to go for high poundage bows - we have 30, 35 and 40# club flatbows sold by Quicks many years ago and even the 30# is more than capable of battering a 50yd target all day long.

Hope this helps a bit

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Green
    Thanks
    thanks, I have a recurve bow I use for the target stuff, an english longbow really sounds awesome to me at the moment but i need to be realistic , going to have a look at local club and see what thats about

Sent from my Gemini 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I love my longbow and will shoot that in preference to all my other bows but they are a big financial investment so if you’ve not been shooting very long you are probably still developing your draw weight and could quite easily outgrow your purchase in a fairly short space of time.

There is nothing wrong with starting out in field archery using your recurve and maybe shooting it as a barebow (leave off the sight & stabilisers) to get a feel for what a traditional bow has to offer. You will experience the different way of aiming which may or may not suit you ultimately and you could revert to full recurve setup without incurring any costs.

If you do decide longbow is for you then I always recommend Gary Evans bows through Wales Archery - the bows are superb quality and value for money with a great warranty made by a guy who knows longbow inside & out. My 50# @ 28” Artemis will knock lumps out of a boss at 100yds all day long with an aim point a smidgin above 12 o”clock white on a 122cm face.

Have fun

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Good advice from Corax
    There are also cheap flat bows (AFB) from about 95 in any draw weight you like in 5# increments, which will give a lot of fun and perform well and will let you have a go at field without the tyranny of sights (spits on floor )
    A good wooden longbow with decent performance will cost more. If you get into field you can get something more to your liking.
    My personal preference is a hand made self yew primitive or ELB.
    The beauty of field is that you can make a primitive bow, shoot and still be competitive. There is great joy in watching a compound struggling with an awkward 6 yard shot when you can nail it with a primitive!
    I would warn against buying a wooden bow off E-Bay... there are good amateur bowyers out there, but you need to know your subject and try before you buy.
    Del
    It's easy to make a bow... but it's hard to make a good one
    15 second video of me shooting a Hazel primitive (Neolithic style) bow which I made (sorry I couldn't resist )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEOEcoNsFFs
    Health Warning:- These posts may contain traces of nut.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Del the Cat For This Useful Post:

Corax67 (21-05-19)

In the Blue
    Thanks
    I shoot a lot of field as well as target, for a starter field bow I would say either an AFB or a one piece trad bow as a good place to begin. I do shoot ELB for target, but find them at a bit of a disadvantage to the others at field. My main field bow is a recurve tradbow with Border riser and Uukha limbs, but you are getting into the high price bracket. A good Ragim Black Bear can be had for around 125 (I also have a great Ragim Back Panther at 150), and will be quicker than an ELB, which for unmarked distances and instinctive shooting can be important. The variety of targets and the friendly atmosphere at even the selection shoots make field a joy to take part in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast