Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting over water

Thanks
    I suspect that it's an optical illusion thing.

Course layouts do all sorts of things to mess with your distance perception. Logs in front of the target or targets down a tunnel of trees are two obvious ones - they really mess me up.

I doubt that it's a physical effect. Although I could be wrong. It has been known (ask my wife ).
    Where are my dancing penguins? I was promised penguins ............

Thanks
    Not a tip for those of us that don't use sights, but if you're shooting compound with a scope and it's a calm day make sure that you aim at the target, not the reflection. I saw a good compound archer score a perfect 6 on the reflection. (GNAS field shooting roundels)

Thanks
    Was taking it over with my fellow field archers at this mornings club shoot. The consensus was it was common to misjudge over water because of lack of features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    With our thoughts we make the world

In the Blue
    Thanks
    Sorry for the thread necromancy

Quote Originally Posted by Thunk View Post
    As a recurve target archer I can't ever recall shooting over water. Does the width of the water make any difference? I'm wondering if there's a physical answer, maybe something to do with air temperature being lower and density higher over water?
    This phenomenon has been noted in Field Target shooting (FT) which I've done since the late 1980s. "Pellets drop lower when shooting over water".
    This has not been proven one way or the other however I do believe there is an effect, though it may be small.

Of course in field archery I can see there could be a psychological effect on range estimation and this could well be greater than any physical effect. However in FT most shooters use focal length rangefinding via high mag scopes, so unless the water is changing the refractive index of the air, the effect has a physical basis.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism. Air density increasing drag may be a factor but my theory is that the water cools the air causing a gentle downward air current (the opposite of a thermal). Airgun pellets are heavily affected by wind and the gentlest of breeze that you can barely feel on your face can move a pellet out of the 40mm kill zone at 50+ yards.

In the Blue
    Thanks
    There are no environmental factors which adversely affect a projectile travelling over water.

Archers just won't let this one go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123