Stabilisers for compound on a Field shoot?

Collyermum

Hi

I am usually a target archer and shoot compound because I have a bad back and cannot manage a recurve.

I am going for a "trial" 2-3hr introduction to field archery at our local club this week (really looking forward to it!). The question arises - to take my stabilisers or not?

I am concerned about the extra weight on the bow for hiking around with...(due to the back problem)...

But on the plus side, they mean I can use a bow stand, prop up the bow when I am holding it, and they are what I usually shoot with.

Any advice please? Thank you :poulies:

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
everyone I know who shoots target and field use their regular stabilizer set up.... you've set it up to shoot well at target, so it'll do well in field!

for example, here's Simon shooting field at Fort Purbrook and then later that year at the National Series finals.

Shirt

You will see lots of people who claim you need to do something because "it's for field!" as though it's some magical arduous journey to retrieve a golden fleece.

My favourites include:
shooting old arrows that you have no sight marks for because you don't want to risk your 'good' ones;
shooting short stabilisers that they've never practiced with, when this completely changes the feel and tuning of the bow;
shooting with a backpack when they've never done that in practice and haven't considered how it affects their ability to move their arms/shoulders and therefore shoot the bow;
carrying everything they could ever possibly need with them, including a large (and largely blunt) Bowie knife bought specially for their first ever field shoot because 'you need a big knife to get arrows out of trees!'.

It's target in the woods with a few extra elements to think about. That's all.

And it's really really fun! :)

D

Deleted member 7654

Do your own thing... shun the extra weight.
Go for what suits you. A long rod with V little weight may be useful in allowing you to use the set up as a walking stick to help you get around...
No I'm not kidding, I've seen a few seniors using it to help 'em up the slopes.
It's about the fun IMO
Del

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Shoot what you are comfortable with to start with.

There will be plenty of time to modify your technique or kit later if you decide that you want to.

robert43

3 most important things for field is 1 water I carry 2 water bottles approx 600ml each ( I live in Oz & my thoughts are 1 if dont need it I can pour it on the ground / tree / bush when I am finished & 2 you cant drink some thing you dont have when you need it
2 a good hat not a cap ( sorry dont like baseball caps for out in the sun )
3 most important thing is your front stabiliser to be long enough to be able to lean on it when you are waiting your turn to shoot.
Option extra is at my age 54 a wheel chair / buggy & with someone to push me around the course.