SWAC Boxing Day shoot

JohnK

Got back a little while ago from my first NFAS shoot in 8 years (my second ever, as it happens). Had an absolute blast shooting at 30 targets, everything from a 3D owl to Spongebob Squarepants. Everyone in our group - yes, even me - won a medal. I came second Gent barebow (score of 446) ... out of two :D Ah well, better than third out of three. And I did manage to score with my first arrow on 2/3rds of the targets.

Field Archer - Shel - was kind enough to offer to give me a lift, as his way to the shoot ran almost past my parents' front door. We went round the course with a couple of other great people, and had a great time. So, thanks Shel for your company and the lift. Very much appreciated, and I hope we get the chance to do it again sometime.

I have some photos, which I will be uploading a bit later as soon as my sister gets home and tells me where the USB cable for her camera is. :)

Field Archer

South Wilts were up to there normal standards for their "Entertaining" Boxing Day shoot. From a hog roast on a spit to a kill on Bart Simpson's bum and a crocodile surrounded by Santa's remains. John shot well and was getting better as the day went on, he well deserved his silver medal.

Nice to see Mr and Mrs (I beat Mr :cheerful:) Radar UK there as well.

ferret

Fonz Awardee
[ to a kill on Bart Simpson's bum :
was this the one with the 24point inner kill, haha:cheerful:

JohnK

Some piccies, with apologies for the poor quality of some of them. I was using my sister's camera and wasn't quite used to the settings.

Shel, wondering whether his Christmas list for next year needs editing now he's shot Santa's reindeer:

Pat had stolen from the post sack for the last time ...

My target companions; Mick and Shel, and Emma taking a shot:

Ho ho ho. My first arrow just caught Santa's hat, but we weren't sure it had so I had a second from the next peg, and nailed him in the nose:

JohnK

Mick, about to nail another target:

Shel, shooting down on a wolf (just visible at the bottom of the frame). We all did well on this one, as I recall.

Emma, also taking a shot at the poor wulluf:

Shel and Mick, in a pose I like to call "Well b*gger, what sight mark do we use for that?":

They were looking at our last target: the crocodile that had eaten Santa (his legs lay sadly nearby). Mick had nailed every single target up to then with his first arrow, but inexplicably missed by a fraction with his first here, taking a kill with the second arrow. He still won, and came with 2 points of the Gents Unlimited Compound winning score.

JohnK

Emma taking a shot at the croc (the best picture I have of the target, unfortunately):

I took three goes to find the kill, spoiling a run of about 10 one-shot targets. The first two skimmed over the back, one of them finding a piece of thankfully quite rotten wood:

And finally, in breaking news, dramatic new evidence has come to light over the disappearance of Father Christmas. Police now believe he has been kidnapped:

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Fantastic pics!! Looks like you had a great day. But just who is Mick? He's adorable! And I quite like Shel's quiver.

Shame there are no pics of you, John!! :thumbsdow

JohnK

Oh that looks SO much fun! *jealous* :cheerful:
Oh it was. Superb fun :cheerful: But not to worry; I'm sure you'll be FieldyRachel again soon.

Clickerati said:
Shame there are no pics of you, John!!
I beg to differ. :D Besides, it's a bit tricky to draw a bow while taking a picture :)

Mick is Mick Holmes, an excellent archer and very good company, as was everyone I met in fact. He, Emma and of course Shel helped make it an excellent day.

Radar_UK

Fonz Awardee
It was a great day and both Mrs Radar and I had an enjoyable time and it was good to meet John and to see Shel again.

The fun targets were a good laugh though I managed to miss ALL of Santa's reindeer so hopefully my pressies next year should be OK !! :)

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
It was a great day and both Mrs Radar and I had an enjoyable time and it was good to meet John and to see Shel again.

The fun targets were a good laugh though I managed to miss ALL of Santa's reindeer so hopefully my pressies next year should be OK !! :)
Hadn't seen you on the forum in awhile, Leigh, so I'm glad you and Mrs are still out there shooting!

JohnK

I was still getting into the swing of things after a minor hiccup at Santa's reindeer. I missed the first one by about an inch over the back, the second one by about an inch under the belly ... but the third was juuuust right. :D

Mrs_Radar_UK

Yes a very good day indeed, lovely to see Shel and John.

I was ahead of Leigh at the end of the first half :cheerful: but he soon caught up after a cup of tea.

We finished with Leigh on 288 and me on 262, not bad as it was my second time shooting with my new LH bow - I was shooting RH before.

Hopefully the lady from SWAC will post the pics she took too on the club website as there's a couple of us.