Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Target to field - who has made the move

Thanks

Target to field - who has made the move

Me and my son have recently joined an NFAS field archery club - for various reasons we wanted to do something different. So far we've only shot in an indoor field archery range but really enjoyed it - we'll be outside soon and need to get full membership by proving we aren't complete halfwits and follow the rules; as we have been shooting for a year and a half and competed a bit, hopefully that should be okay.

We both have compound bows - I'm a Mybo Origin (52lbs) with a Shibuya compound sight and Cartel scope, one basic long rod and a wrist sling plus a Trophy Taker SS2 rest. I have about 10 XX75 Genesis arrows (6 are good, 4 need shortening, bigger nocks and re-fletching) and what might well turn out to be total overkill, 11 Easton ACGs. Considered selling them but I'd lose a lot on them.

My son has a Hoyt Ruckus (about 22lbs), Easton XX75 Jazz arrows (about 6 good, two need sorting), a very basic long(ish) rod, a wrist sling and a 5 pin sight.

We both use wrist releases.

Any glaring errors in our kit? I'm loathe to spend much as I've poured a silly amount into our current setup (and we just don't shoot often enough; took me a while to admit to myself!) but if there's anything worth changing, I can change it.

Very much looking forwards to shooting on a proper outdoor field range!
    Mybo Origin

In the White
    Thanks
    Made the move just over 2 years ago. A bit of advice, get yourself some cheapish arrows when you start shooting outdoors. Even the best lost a few in their early days 😁

Thanks
    Yep having lost four ACGs, Iíll save mine for long shots after Iíve got the hang of it a bit (if I actually do get the hang of it...!)

Thanks
    Re. Arrows. Easton Powerflights are very good for the price. If you want pretty much bullet proof go with Gold Tip Hunters and if you're under the magic 300fps GT Velocity or Black Eagle Carnivores - nock collars are very useful if you are not going to be running with unibushes and will save you arrow after arrow.
    Shame you didn't jump 6 months ago you could have done the 3d champs at the Flete Estate. Nothing wrong with your set up but you will be in with the big boys in unlimited and will need to do over 20 avg. a target to place most likely - steep learning curve, invest in a range finder and spend a few hours judging distance. Walk round, guess distance and shoot then rangefind the same shot and shoot again - your brain will soon sort it out. Get your distances sorted for up to 70 yrds and don't forget the sub 10 - 15yrds as they will put shots out at 3 - 5 yrds occasionally.
    GL and have fun.
    Noli habere bovis, vir. - Bart

Thanks
    Great info; thanks Andy!!

Thanks
    Remember that it doesn't need to be an either/or choice - most field archers that I know are members of target clubs too.
    Where are my dancing penguins? I was promised penguins ............

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast