Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Target to field - who has made the move

In the White
    Thanks
    A few friends form our target club and I are trying to set up a small field club. We have found the land and have a meeting with the farmer/owner tomorrow (Saturday) to try to sort it out.
    He is very up for the idea, we just have to sort out rent etc.
    We all shoot Olympic recurve at the target club but are all up for something different and will be shooting traditional one piece recurve now that we all have a bow each.
    The only thing we are not too sure about is what insurance we will need but we are looking into that.

Thanks
    Interesting stuff - as mentioned in another thread, we did our first "proper" shoot and loved it - love the format, the variety and also shooting a sensible number of arrows rather than just banging off end after end. The target shooting definitely keeps you sharp but the field format was way more fun.
    The club doesn't seem to shoot outdoors all that often but when they do, we'll be there for sure.
    I'm still a member of our target club and will do the odd round now and again (mostly outdoors - I've really gone off shooting indoors) though.
    Mybo Origin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Smith View Post
    A few friends form our target club and I are trying to set up a small field club. We have found the land and have a meeting with the farmer/owner tomorrow (Saturday) to try to sort it out.
    He is very up for the idea, we just have to sort out rent etc.
    We all shoot Olympic recurve at the target club but are all up for something different and will be shooting traditional one piece recurve now that we all have a bow each.
    The only thing we are not too sure about is what insurance we will need but we are looking into that.
    As club members I assume that you are AGB members, why not form the club as a field section of your target club, you'd then be covered by AGB insurance assuming you conform to the safety rules. Or if you want to set up a new club you have 4 options, AGB, NFAS, IFAA, or get your own cover, pros and cons to each.

If you want to go down the AGB route I may be able to put you in contact with someone who can help you, where in the country are you?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to English Bowman For This Useful Post:

Graham Smith (08-12-18)

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bowman View Post
    As club members I assume that you are AGB members, why not form the club as a field section of your target club, you'd then be covered by AGB insurance assuming you conform to the safety rules. Or if you want to set up a new club you have 4 options, AGB, NFAS, IFAA, or get your own cover, pros and cons to each.

If you want to go down the AGB route I may be able to put you in contact with someone who can help you, where in the country are you?
    We have now secured the land on a yearly agreement. We have been in contact with AGB and are waiting for them to get back to us. We are also going to look into NFAS so at this moment we haven't come to any decision. Forming the club as a field section of our target club isn't an option for various reasons. It's more that we want to keep it small for friends rather than be too big and formal. We are in south Northumberland in the Corbridge area.

Thanks for you help and advice. I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I'm about as far from you as possible being on the South coast, but if you need someone from AGB I'll see if I can find someone closer to you who could help. As to which society you choose, it depends on what type of field archery you'd like to do.
    AGB - Rules and insurance for roundels at both marked and unmarked distances, animal faces on paper targets and 3Ds - Competitions organised from local to world championship level. Affiliated to World Archery
    English Field Archery Association (EFAA) - similar to AGB, but affiliated to International Field Archery Association.
    National Field Archery Society (NFAS) - Animal rounds only, both paper faces and 3Ds, all unmarked distances, competitions organised from local to national championships, no international presence.

As I said before there are pros and cons to each, my preference is for AGB as I can shoot field, target or clout all under the same membership, but the membership costs are higher than EFAA or NFAS. I am also a member of an NFAS club, but personally prefer AGB shoots to NFAS ones as I like the roundels because they are more consistent and therefore easier to measure your progress and compare your scores to others with. That said I do shoot animal rounds and 3D and they are great fun. I also like the fact that I can shoot to represent my country at international events, I couldn't do that with NFAS. But this is a personal choice, and there is no one right way to do it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to English Bowman For This Useful Post:

Graham Smith (10-12-18)

In the White
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bowman View Post
    Unfortunately I'm about as far from you as possible being on the South coast, but if you need someone from AGB I'll see if I can find someone closer to you who could help. As to which society you choose, it depends on what type of field archery you'd like to do.
    AGB - Rules and insurance for roundels at both marked and unmarked distances, animal faces on paper targets and 3Ds - Competitions organised from local to world championship level. Affiliated to World Archery
    English Field Archery Association (EFAA) - similar to AGB, but affiliated to International Field Archery Association.
    National Field Archery Society (NFAS) - Animal rounds only, both paper faces and 3Ds, all unmarked distances, competitions organised from local to national championships, no international presence.

As I said before there are pros and cons to each, my preference is for AGB as I can shoot field, target or clout all under the same membership, but the membership costs are higher than EFAA or NFAS. I am also a member of an NFAS club, but personally prefer AGB shoots to NFAS ones as I like the roundels because they are more consistent and therefore easier to measure your progress and compare your scores to others with. That said I do shoot animal rounds and 3D and they are great fun. I also like the fact that I can shoot to represent my country at international events, I couldn't do that with NFAS. But this is a personal choice, and there is no one right way to do it.
    It's not that far. Kevin Coster walked from Dover to Hadrian's Wall, just up the road from us in one day. Should be about an hour by car. lol.
    As i said we have agreed the terms with the land owner and I checked on the NFAS website for membership. They are closed until January, for membership requests anyway, so we have plenty of time as, although the land is agreed we won't be starting until the first of March.

At the moment we intend to make our own targets and there are only seven of us so far. It is intended just to be a bit (or a lot) of fun for a few pals. We won't be be entering competitions or wanting to take part in shoots at other venues.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. I really do appreciate it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast