Watch "Trying to shoot a tape measure across water - Archery" on YouTube

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Keep it out of the water, for one thing. Too much drag.
And don't attach the tape directly. Use a light line and pull the tape across with the line.

evolram

We had to give it a go. Yes we could of planned and had fishing line but come on for a bit of fun who wouldn't of given it a go.

Alison

Thanks for giving us such a laugh! Yes, you could have just used a laser rangefinder, or taken the tape round the pond but where's the fun in that?

Zhoo Zhoo

I was in stitches! I'm glad the tape stayed on the arrow, it could've been expensive! I really hate those targets where you have to shoot across a lake!

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Years ago I helped a work colleague run ethernet cable through the roof voids of some very long buildings. He started off lifting ceiling tiles at suitable intervals and we passed the cable along attached to the end of a poleabout 3m long. After a day of this we tried a crossbow with a thread attached to the bolt and shot the bolts about 60m (about halfway) and then pulled the thread with the cable attached. It took us about half an hour to do what we had achieved the day before and no messy ceiling tiles.
another colleague managed to use a fly rod to cast a line up 2 storeys in through a window to pull another cable.