Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the best arrows for 3D?

In the Green
    Thanks

What are the best arrows for 3D?

Hi All

What are the best arrows for 3D which are accurate but can be extracted?

I currently use Easton ACG with a compound bow @ 50lbs, which are great at distances over 70m, but being very thin they go a long way into the target. I shot one at 20M and it went in right to the Fletching. Whilst I can double boss in target archery this is not an option in 3D, and if I hit a tree I think the chance of getting the arrow back undamaged is not likely.

I've also got some old Easton XX75 which can be extracted OK, but are so thick compared to the ACGs that they tend to fall off the arrow rest.

So I'm looking for a bit of a compromise, thicker than an ACG, but thinner than a XX75, and fairly accurate & durable.

I'm considering options like ACC, or even FMJ (I assume the outer casing of aluminium would protect them a bit).

What are your opinions for the best way forward?

Thanks
    Osprey

Thanks
    That's weird because we shot our first tournament yesterday and I used both; ACGs for the long range (over 45 yards) ones (these targets had a big net to catch arrows), XX75s for the rest. It does complicate the sight markings a bit but overall it went pretty well.
    My only issue was one ACG stuck a good 1-2 inches into the wood when what looked like 60 yards was more like 80 and a couple of the harder targets took some serious pulling to get the arrows out.

53lbs Mybo Origin.

Because of the nature of it though, only really need three decent arrows (plus a couple of spares); something in between the two would be good; the XX75s are definitely too heavy over 50 yards and really do drop.

Let me know if you find something good - I reckon FMJs might fit the bill.
    Mybo Origin

It's an X I've taken part in an AIUK Ironman Shoot.The Fonz Award.AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I guess it very much depends on what you mean by "best". I really like my Easton Hexx, for 3D (& field), because they're very light, and a little bit thicker (1/4") than regular thin shafts. And keep in mind that on the 3D circuit in the US, fat carbon shafts are also popular (Fatboys, etc). But then it depends on how far out your targets might be. I only shoot World Archery, so my 3D targets max out at 45m, and field targets at 60m.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bimble For This Useful Post:

osprey (04-06-19)

In the Green
    Thanks
    Thanks Both

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you have to use 'detectable' arrows?
    just point,pull & click the mouse button

In the Green
    Thanks
    Good question, and I don't know the answer for the 3D competition I'm entering as It's not stated in the entry form. However my weekly target archery is on a joint use sports field, so a detectable arrow is required there. Therefore I would prefer to use a detectable so I can use them in both places.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast