Discuss 1sthe competition at the Target Archery within Archery Interchange Forums; Shot my 1st competition Saturday. Seaton Carew, Heugh archery club. Got into archery 3 years ...
    In the Blue AIUK subscriber.

Thanks

1sthe competition

Shot my 1st competition Saturday. Seaton Carew, Heugh archery club. Got into archery 3 years ago, but never really got "a bit more serious" about it until last year.
    Bought a complete new recurve setup January this year (two months shooting indoors to get used to it) I've gotten outdoors with it.
    Competition was at 30m so evening before got a sight mark at my home club. Come day of competition-its blowing a hoolie! Wind between 15-40mph.
    I was like a bull in a China shop 1st 24 arrows. Scores were pretty poor tbh, then got into the groove. Last 48 arrows were pretty much the best I could shoot considering the conditions (mainly in the custard)
    After 72 arrows I headed for home & I'd actually enjoyed It!. Later on I'd found that I had finished up 2nd -gobsmacked! Looking back at how things went if I hadn't been such an idiot for the 1st 24 I'd have probably won the shoot (in my class) only 12 points between me & the winner. (Wasn't allowing for any windage for the 1st dozens & only got it dialled in 2nd dozen, thought my arrows would be fine in the strong wind)
    A half dozen arrows at the start of a competition really don't give someone like me a true picture of what's really going on, but apparently that's the way it goes in competition-but once bitten twice shy.
    Going to try on the next local(ish) shoot, some 50miles from us. We just need a fourth archer from our club & we could put out a team. None of us are any good, but we are as keen!
    Our club recurve shooters came out 2nd 4th & 10th (last archer struggling with arrows bought too long for draw, we'll chop them down 1/4" & he'll be so much better)
    We are going to try & put out a 4 man team for next competition to represent our club.
    Last edited by adrianms; 16-04-17 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Typo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to adrianms For This Useful Post:

oshotkosktere (21-04-17)

3. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sounds good, to me. Competition is a different aspect of archery, it's like adding an extra interest; not just more of the same.

Thanks
    Sounds like you had a good time - I still feel the 6 sighters are a funny little quirk as you only get them at your first distance & not each time you drop down to the shorter distances if you shoot a round like a York, Albion, etc

Windage allowance is always fun to account for - last Saturday our target (100yd longbow) was aiming at the RH edge of the target to our left to allow for the wind drift. Only took 2 dozen arrows to get my first on target but finished up with a Bowman score

Good luck for your next comp

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !

In the Blue AIUK subscriber.

Thanks
    I only got the entry the night before the shoot (due to an archer dropping out) while I was shooting at home site with my new ace arrows, the weather was perfect, bright sunshine & zero wind & set up a boss at 30M's to suit & get a sight mark.
    Next day competing, wind off the scale. I was under the impression that ace's were pretty much wind proof, now I know better! Next time I'll be a bit more savey.
    I was shooting alongside one of my archery buddies & we both discussed the situation & came up with a plan of action, there were trees some 100m's to our left & if we could hear the leaves rustling(wildly) in the wind held off our shot for a couple of seconds while the wind rotor passed us, if it was all still quiet we'd start the shot process & make our shots-but were both prepared to drop & start again if need be (& a visual signal for the other archer to "hang back" a couple of more seconds-no talking on the line)
    The plan worked, most of our shots were in the gold 10/9 from then on, if my colleague hadn't let go a spectacular arrow into the black stuff on the last end my friend would have been 3rd not 4th, we both shot more x's & 10's than any of the other archers (in our class) but we both suffered during the 1st 24 arrows we both shot.
    Our 3rd archer came 10th but is capable of much better scores, new over length arrows poorly Fletched (self inflicted) & his plunger was not correct, he's been shooting compound for last couple of years & only got a recurve over the start of indoor season last year, he will be better prepared next time, so he dropped a whole heap of points & never really got his head around the wind at all.
    The main thing, we sat together at the end of the shoot & had a good laugh at our own individual performances (before the results were known) while ripping into each others performances of course! (apparently it's the "done thing" to berate one another in good spirit) we all enjoyed the day & will willingly do the same again in the near future.

It's an X
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can feel your enthusiasm from here.
    Sighters.... mmmmmm! A time to get the sight sorted, perhaps. A time to allow the archer to get himself or herself sorted.... yes indeed!

Thanks

Please visit our sponsors and help keep AIUK online!

Ha ha - sadly no arrows are wind proof, not even X10's through a 60# compound, but looking and listening for clues as to what the wind is doing is an excellent skill to hone.

Karl
    I meant to do that - honest ! !