AIUK Ironman Challenge 2014
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Discuss >30 inch stabiliser - W&W or Fivics CEX5? at the Target Archery within Archery Interchange UK Forums; Originally Posted by mf78 Rather than using washers, put a wrap or two of plumbers ...
    In the Red AIUK subscriber. fbirder's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mf78 View Post
    Rather than using washers, put a wrap or two of plumbers Teflon tape around the longrod thread, it will hold it tight much better.
    Well, I've not shot with it yet, but the PTFE tape certainly seems to do a good job of improving the fit on the thread of the CEX5

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirder View Post
    Well, I've not shot with it yet, but the PTFE tape certainly seems to do a good job of improving the fit on the thread of the CEX5
    Teflon tape usually works well if u screw it in n leave it. It works wonders for end weights! If you're takingi t out often, perhaps a few new layers every other session might help? The thread might cut the tape to bits over time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mf78 View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about wind-drag either, the wind will have far more effect on the archer and bow than it will have on the rods.
    I partially agree with this. The wind will have more effect on the archer than the stabs but wind effect on the archer won't cause bow torque (and therefore poor arrow flight).

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbow Weirdninjablade View Post
    yea I was wary when I read that WW increased the diameter of the HMC. My range is windy beyond belief - 33# pound bow, 30m distance - I had to aim white to hit gold. It also knocked me off my stance.

Later that day, a gust blew the glasses off my face. Surviving on contacts now until the new pair arrives.

Shame to hear that the CEX is loose - I love the colours!

I plan to get brand-matched v-bars and short rods as well if I upgrade. I'll consider Doinker now that its received such praise.

What about Krossen?
    I've heard of Krossen but yet to see anyone shooting them. I'm guessing you don't have access to a shop that sells any of these stabilisers? As much as you can learn from asking questions on here, you'll learn a lot more if you can actually try them out!

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Hahas, in Melbourne the shops are on the fringes of the countryside while I live right in the city. Plus I'm not impressed with the service (as many other club mates aren't).

In Singapore, I could try them. I'm not sure if it would help though since my main issue is the stabilisers coming loose over a the course of a full shooting session.

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Stabilisers coming loose is something we all have to deal with. Having a block of wax to hand and rubbing the thread before you put it in each time will certainly ensure it stays firm. Having said that, I have never had an issue with my stabilisers, on both recurve and compound. I have owned HMC+, and they were fine, and more recently CEX5s, and they were (And still are) fine. I would try to ignore the little niggle of "will it come loose", as to me it seems to be holding you back from getting anything.

Krossen look nice. I've seen one or two sets knocking around.

Of the ones you suggest I would recommend CEX5s - they do the job well, they look nice, they are cheap. I've never had a problem with the thread.
    Ports 595, FITA 1351, FITA 18 574.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Brum2010 For This Useful Post:

In the Blue
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks
    Thanks Brum. Seems that the score on the CEX is tied at 1 for, 1 against. I guess I'm mainly annoyed by my current stabilisers that come loose without warning. Suddenly I loose the arrow and realise it sounded totally wrong, then search the bow and find the stabiliser loose.

Any more votes for HMC/CEX? (I think the good doinker models are firmly out of my reach, considering I need to get a whole set.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast