CLICK TO REGISTER FOR THE AIUK IRONMAN
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Discuss Archery field AGB registration at the Target Archery within Archery Interchange Forums; Originally Posted by Berk I was speaking with a couple of guys at our club ...
    Thanks

Archery field AGB registration

Quote Originally Posted by Berk View Post
    I was speaking with a couple of guys at our club recently, and they were talking about the recent(?) requirement to register the clubs grounds. It looks like the plan is to leave it as long as possible so we can get the summer season in, just in case it's rejected I guess. This is despite the Field Captain not being able to remember any dangerous incidents or accidents since he joined the club some 30 years ago.
    I've not been back shooting long, and haven't paid much attention beyond speaking to other members of the club. Is there any chance you could give me an idiots guide to what's happening and why people are worried?
    This is my understanding, it may be complete tosh ...Basically AGB want to know where all the clubs are that shoot under the AGB insurance and what facilities they have. They also want to be sure that all clubs adhere to the safety requirements and field layout defined in the Rules of Shooting. Failure to do this means you are not insured after the 1/9/2017. Problem is not all fields comply and the interpretation of the rules can be, well, interpreted differently.

Problem is, as I see it, the process is a bit adhoc. If your club thinks your field reaches the AGB standard then just tick the boxes and you are okay for another 3 years. I do not know who the responsibility falls on in the club or if it is secretary who is filing the form and if there is any comeback if that decision is wrong if an accident happens.
    Not all clubs will be clear cut depending on their boundary security/accessibility etc but who is to say if the club thinks it's okay? AGB have also specified things such as toilets but I don't know if these could scupper registration.

Unless it is screamingly obvious that your field does not meet the requirements why would you not just tick all the boxes anyway. And don't forget if your field is assessed by a third party, and it fails, you can appeal.
    If the club fails what are the options. I know clubs with their own insurance. Can these be affiliated to AGB? Can the club be registered with the NFAS as a field club and still shoot GNAS/FITA rounds? The list of questions goes on and on.

UPDATE... further reading suggests lack of toilets will not scupper registration.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KidCurry For This Useful Post:

Berk (04-05-17), oshotkosktere (13-05-17), TJ Mason (09-05-17)

3. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

It's an X AIUK subscriber. bimble's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I know we've had our inspection (and passed), though to be honest, I would be slightly worried if a club failed on safety grounds and then decided the best way was to just join another organisation because, presumably, they deem the safety rules are less strict.

There's also no restriction on NFAS clubs shooting GNAS/WA rounds on their field, if they should wish. Though you wouldn't be able to claim any county records, at least the GNAS county records.
    garywright likes this.
    Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bimble For This Useful Post:

oshotkosktere (13-05-17)

Thanks
    Cheers for the response.

I managed to dig out the facilities guidelines and I think it might be the width we fall down on. We don't have a triangular field, and we'd lose a lot of shooting line if we tried to meet the 10m exclusion measurement at the line, let alone the 20m exclusion measurement down range. I think we have similar issues with our indoor range regarding the 3m overshoot.

That and no changing room... Who has or needs a changing room?

This has got to be a kick in the teeth for many clubs that have been safely shooting on a site for many years, but fail to meet one or more of the requirements.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Berk For This Useful Post:

oshotkosktere (13-05-17)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    though I don't believe the facilities are a pass/fail aspect of the field inspection, only safety critical aspects such as field overshoot. Not unless there were personal safety issues about any facilities that were provided (when our old clubhouse came down it wasn't fit for purpose any longer). I mean, we don't have a changing room and we've passed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bimble For This Useful Post:

oshotkosktere (13-05-17)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bimble View Post
    I know we've had our inspection (and passed)
    Was it a third party assessment? If so what were the concerns to need a third party assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by bimble View Post
    though to be honest, I would be slightly worried if a club failed on safety grounds and then decided the best way was to just join another organisation because, presumably, they deem the safety rules are less strict.
    I guess it depends on whether you deem AGB rules as the absolute minimum standard or over the top.
    An archers only opponent is his mind.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KidCurry For This Useful Post:

oshotkosktere (13-05-17)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCurry View Post
    Was it a third part assessment? If so what were the concerns to need a third party assessment?
    I wasn't there, but I know it was one of the senior judges (Derrick Lovell) and someone else, though whether that other person was another judge, or from a third party I don't know. Looked around, took some measurements. I think in the end they asked us to add a sign at the end of a path we've put in that runs along the length of our field in case people walk along it, but otherwise were happy.

Quote Originally Posted by KidCurry View Post
    I guess it depends on whether you deem AGB rules as the absolute minimum standard or over the top.
    having looked for arrows that have risen on top of buttons, or bounced off the shelf and then shot (or an inopportune miss at 90m with a compound), an arrow can end up a fair way from its intended target. If we all promised not to miss I'm sure the tolerances could be tighter but they have to take the most likely finishing position for an arrow (from archers of ALL skill levels), then add a little bit more. Just in case.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bimble For This Useful Post:

oshotkosktere (13-05-17)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast