Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Discuss Arrows at the Target Archery within Archery Interchange Forums; Hi folks, Hope this is the correct sub forum. Can i have peoples thoughts on ...
    In the White

Arrows

Hi folks,

Hope this is the correct sub forum.

Can i have peoples thoughts on recurve arrows, please?

Current have a dozen easton inspires and looking to upgrade my kit a wee bit. Of my dozen, i've had 1 break and 1 lost in long grass. I'm looking into buying some better arrows and wondered firstly what you would recommend arrow wise and would you keep 1 set for indoor and 1 for outdoor?

many thanks

2. Advertisements like those above are essential to keep AIUK running. If you'd like to remove the Google and Ebay adverts and help us meet our running costs, please consider subscribing for only 1.50 per month. Thank you!

In the White
    Are you looking to stay with carbon? I've not shot with carbon yet, sticking to aluminium for the moment as the carbon ones are out of my beginner's price bracket. The new Easton PowerFlights seem to be a next-step up from the ones you're using (your current ones work out at around 40 for 12, the Powerflights are about 60). Actually considering some myself, as I was about to fork out 50 for 8 ally Easton Tributes...

In the White
    Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    Are you looking to stay with carbon? I've not shot with carbon yet, sticking to aluminium for the moment as the carbon ones are out of my beginner's price bracket. The new Easton PowerFlights seem to be a next-step up from the ones you're using (your current ones work out at around 40 for 12, the Powerflights are about 60). Actually considering some myself, as I was about to fork out 50 for 8 ally Easton Tributes...
    Thanks for the response. To be honest I've no idea. I bought my beginner stuff a year ago and have been trying to upgrade to good equipment 1 piece at a time. Now have w&w riser and limbs, have a good button and string. Need to upgrade my arrow rest and stabilizers as well as the arrows. My thought being buy right, buy once rather than edging up in incremental stages. I've had a quick look at x10s, for instance but read of a lot of people have broken their arrows in the straw bosses (my club is half foam bosses and half straw indoors and all straw outdoors). I don't want to invest heavily in arrows like that if there's a good chance of breakages.

A friend at the club has invested in the w&w arrows which weren't too expensive.

As a side note - looking to start competing this coming indoor season - so do I also need to get a jig and make the arrows up myself so I can get some wraps/I'D decals on them or can I buy them ready?

In the White
    Seems like a sensible idea. I suppose it depends on your budget - how much are you willing to spend? Do you have a local shop that you intend to use, or are you buying over the 'net? If you're going to be spending large amounts of cash, personally I'd want to be using a shop so that you can get 'hands on' with the kit before you buy, maybe try a few - can't think of anything worse than spending a few hundred on some arrows, only to find that you don't like them or that they're not quite right.

Personally I wouldn't be looking at buying Olympic standard kit until I was nearer to Olympic standards - for example, 12 X10 Protour complete arrows in my local shop costs over 400, wheras a dozen Carbon One arrows are only 125. At your level, are you going to get better performance for the extra 250?

What about splitting the difference - get some aluminium arrows for when you need to use straw bosses, and some carbon for when you need to use foam? For example, for 400 you could get a dozen Carbon One arrows, a dozen X23 aluminium arrows and still have 150 left for other stuff.

In the White
    As for the jig - no idea sorry. Again, if you have a local shop they could probably sort all this out for you. If you've been shooting for a year I'm surprised you haven't tried making your arrows already (I've only been shooting a few months, and I've been itching to try my hand at building my own arrows). I've know people use jigs but I've heard there's a lot to be said for doing it by hand / eye coordination - maybe get some cheap components and have a bash at hand fletching, see if you've got the patience for it?

some of the more expensive arrows (like the X23s) seem to be pretty much decal'd up already - not sure I'd want or need to put wraps on them but I suppose it depends on what you end up buying. I know some people just mark their arrows with paint-pens, that sort of thing?

In the White
    Good point well made 👍 always good to get opinions from all over. My big problem is the closest shop (merlin) which is 250 miles away - so not a wee jaunt - thus why I do my best to get info from all you kind guys and girls.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast