Brace height how much difference does it make.

Marcus37

Today shoot was a total fail for me, no matter what I did I just got not get the arrows any where near that gold, reds yes but that's as good as I got.

I checked and dubbed checked my form, my anchor etc to no avail, I was even wacking my wrist guard.
so I chocked it up as just a bad day until the end of the shoot when one of my club mates asked if I have checked my brace height, which I had not.
After checking it was sitting at 7&1/4" where as this club bow is ment to to be 8&1/4 - 8.5"what a noobish mistake.

But would such a simple thing really cause me to shoot as bad as I did?

Corax67

Simply put - yes it would.

A shorter brace height has many effects, some of which are:

1) increase arrow speed
2) stiffen the dynamic spine of the arrow
3) increase bow noise

It will also cause string slap on your bracer.

Easy mistake to make and thankfully nice & easy to rectify too.

Karl

Marcus37

Simply put - yes it would.

A shorter brace height has many effects, some of which are:

1) increase arrow speed
2) stiffen the dynamic spine of the arrow
3) increase bow noise

It will also cause string slap on your bracer.

Easy mistake to make and thankfully nice & easy to rectify too.

Karl
Interesting, i did not expect it to make that much difference, the noise now I think about it was quite loud, but I thought that may be something to do with my slightly squiffy release. My first reaction is to blame myself rather than the bow. I guess now I will remember to set brace height every time.

Seems I have much to learn with recurve.

Corax67

It's a tricky old beast is recurve with lots of bits to catch you out.

Brace height is an easy one to miss especially if you are in a bit of a rush to set up and if it was a club bow you might not expect anything to have changed from week to week.

Make a short checklist such as :

1) limbs the correct way up
2) string the correct way up
3) button fitted
4) brace height
5) sight extension bar in the correct hole
6) sight mark set to first target distance (not last distance you shot at)
7) you have the correct set of arrows in your quiver (important if using club kit)
8) Clicker - if fitted - is set to the correct position for your draw
9) any long rods, v-bar, side rods or extenders where appropriate are securely fitted
10) you put your finger sling/wrist sling on as soon as you pick up your bow to shoot

These will soon become second nature but can still be messed up by even the most experienced archer now & again - especially #10 ;)

Karl

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I only let it slip really low once... luckily I got some obvious cues that it was a problem (like the nocks coming out the back of the shafts...)

Marcus37

It's a tricky old beast is recurve with lots of bits to catch you out.

Brace height is an easy one to miss especially if you are in a bit of a rush to set up and if it was a club bow you might not expect anything to have changed from week to week.

Make a short checklist such as :

1) limbs the correct way up
2) string the correct way up
3) button fitted
4) brace height
5) sight extension bar in the correct hole
6) sight mark set to first target distance (not last distance you shot at)
7) you have the correct set of arrows in your quiver (important if using club kit)
8) Clicker - if fitted - is set to the correct position for your draw
9) any long rods, v-bar, side rods or extenders where appropriate are securely fitted
10) you put your finger sling/wrist sling on as soon as you pick up your bow to shoot

These will soon become second nature but can still be messed up by even the most experienced archer now & again - especially #10 ;)

Karl
Yep I have seen someone drop there UUKHA bow due to forgetting his sling, the look of horror on his face was classic

Corax67

Managed to do it just the once with my Inno CXT and a full set of HMC 22 rods - the bow pitched right onto the long rod doinker, bounced back at me but bent the long rod thread which is machined from a single block & bonded to the carbon fibre rod !

Very very gentle adjustment in a bench vice eventually brought it all back into line but it wasn't a nice experience.

Karl